Voluntary Castration - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Beginner

I was up watching the Sundance Channel, and this program came on about men who voluntarily have themselves castrated! It's called "American Eunuchs" Here's a link to the show's website

I found it a bit painful to believe, but there is a small group out there that really wants this done, and they've formed a bit of an underground community. Anyway, the film never gave a really clear answer as to why these guys choose to do this, but from the subjects they interviewed, issues of "feeling in control" played a big role in their choice.

I thought this topic would definitely stimulate discussion, if not a few pained expressions . So, well, discuss.

The Rev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Beginner

Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about you getting castrated.
#3 Old 03-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Beginner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunuchs

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#4 Old 03-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
but from the subjects they interviewed, issues of "feeling in control" played a big role in their choice.

So they need to but their winkie off to feel in controll?
#5 Old 03-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyVT View Post

So they need to but their winkie off to feel in controll?

That would be a penectomy, not a castration

#6 Old 03-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Beginner

only thing rolling through my head right now is W.T.F. ? I simply can't form a more cohesive speach.. I will go home now doubled up in mental anguish......
#7 Old 03-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Beginner

Ohhh gawd....that pic on the main page! Makes a fella want to run and hide for sure!

Quote:
Gelding, a eunuch himself and guru to the pseudo-community of castrated men, will tell his story and demonstrate a variety of techniques to castrate animals and men during a calm and lucid conversation by the pool in his house in Florida.

He's demonstrating this on tv, on animals and human beings?

I wonder what sort of "control" it is they are wanting?
#8 Old 03-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Beginner

Wierd, wierd world.

Well, at least they will no longer be able to reproduce...
#9 Old 03-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Beginner

oooh! I was just watching (or reading?) something about people who have voluntary amputations, as a way of control... one guy here in AU recently had both his legs amputated, even though they were perfectly fine. One of the people quoted in the article said that it does have sexual underpinnings.

I wonder if this is a similar thing??
#10 Old 03-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Beginner

Yikes!!

Freaky!!

Boy, I just...

...eeps...

I can't imagine cutting off a perfectly functional and important body part like that. I mean, I 'get' body modification as far as tattoos and piercings go, and maybe even kinda stuff like tongue splitting, but...

...occhh. I just can't help but think there are some psychological issues going on when someone wants to cut off their nuts or legs for no reason other than to feel "in control".

#11 Old 03-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Beginner

Call me what you will...but that is just messed up. Disgusting and messed up

And yea I've heard of those voluntary amputees too Sunny
#12 Old 03-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

oooh! I was just watching (or reading?) something about people who have voluntary amputations, as a way of control... one guy here in AU recently had both his legs amputated, even though they were perfectly fine. One of the people quoted in the article said that it does have sexual underpinnings.

I wonder if this is a similar thing??

Yes, I was just about to mention that. For some reason, I have an easier time justifying the voluntary castration than the limb amputation. I really can't explain why, though. It's just that there are lots of people out there who have been in traumatic and disfiguring accidents and would kill to have their arm or leg back. But I am sure those who do it voluntarily have their own reasons, just like anyone else.. I don't try to understand some things, just accept them as being true.
#13 Old 03-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Beginner

It makes you wonder about a doctor that would agree to amputate when there is no reason for it other than whatever psychological condition underlies that drive.
#14 Old 03-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post

It makes you wonder about a doctor that would agree to amputate when there is no reason for it other than whatever psychological condition underlies that drive.

I guess they slept through the hippocratic oath in medical school

#15 Old 03-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Ohhh gawd....that pic on the main page! Makes a fella want to run and hide for sure!

He's demonstrating this on tv, on animals and human beings?

I wonder what sort of "control" it is they are wanting?

On the show, he "demonstrated" by showing the device in question, and discussing how it was used. No animals or people were demonstrated on.

The Rev
#16 Old 03-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Beginner

eh...whatever floats your boat...even if it means sinking your boat.

ebola
#17 Old 03-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Beginner

i think for some it has to do with fetish. i think others may do it to "correct" themselves. if you, for whatever reason, don't identify with your body as it is, it may become appealing to "fix" it.

i knew a guy who had his girlfriend cut his penis in half, lengthwise, bit by bit. i don't know their reasons, but they're an extremely happy couple. and you'd never suspect what they're into to see them on the street.

my worry is not the castration itself. i don't have any say or concern with what people want to do to themselves.

what worries me is the number of men who have to resort to seeing a "cutter" because the medical industry won't perform their surgeries. these people are for the most part unskilled, and many don't even work within the medical profession. harks back to the coathanger abortion days. if these guys really want it that badly i think they should be entitled to do whatever they want to themselves.

eta: the documentary show "kink" had a segment on friday about a eunuch. he told of meeting a cutter in some hotel room somewhere. long story short, the guy left him, uh, half done, and went out for a smoke. he's lucky he didn't bleed to death. i'd much rather see these guys in hospitals under sterile conditions.
#18 Old 03-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Beginner

Yeah.. in a way, plastic surgery is the same idea... just on a different level. I'd feel better if they were able to have it professionally done, too.
#19 Old 03-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Beginner

If someone is an adult and wants to do this I really don't see the problem but of course many people will rant and rave because they of course know better than the person who is choosing to have something done..I don't think i would actually go this far but I really would like to know what it would be like to live without having my mind messed with by obnoxious and distracting sexual feelings
#20 Old 03-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Beginner

I saw that movie! It was fascinating! The doctor who preformed the operations seemed a bit shady though, for some reason.
#21 Old 03-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Banned

I downloaded the trailer from the site and it's looks like it would be a fascinating doco, wish I could see it all.

orig. posted by schu

Quote:
.I don't think i would actually go this far but I really would like to know what it would be like to live without having my mind messed with by obnoxious and distracting sexual feelings

yeah, it'd be interesting wouldn't it! I can really understand why some men would want this procedure done.
#22 Old 03-30-2005, 03:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

On the show, he "demonstrated" by showing the device in question, and discussing how it was used. No animals or people were demonstrated on.

The Rev

Pheeeeew. I'm glad to know that. That thought made my guts bind up

Thanks for easing my mind, Rev.
#23 Old 03-30-2005, 05:24 AM
Joe
Beginner

This is stupid, for a number of reasons.

For one thing, there are other organs in the body that manufacture the male hormone testosterone besides the testicles. This was made clear during WWII, when the Germans used so-called "castration mines." If you stepped on these mines, there would first be a small explosion causing the cannister of the mine to pop up about 3 feet. Then the cannister would explode, sending out shrapnel that would injure most soldiers to the point where their testicles had to be amputated.

And what was the result? Within about 6 to 9 months, sexual desire and sexual functioning would return, because the other organ or organs in the body that manufacture testosterone would "take over" and fill in the gap. (Women also have some testosterone in their bloodstream, and they don't have testicles to manufacture it.)

If a male really wanted to free himself from sexual desire, he could do so effectively by taking specific drugs. These would not only be more effective than castration, but they would be reversible simply by discontinuing taking them.
#24 Old 03-30-2005, 06:19 AM
Beginner

I don't see what the big deal is. I can remember reading here on VB about women (albeit a small number of them) who would voluntarily get a hysterectomy so they never again had to worry about pregnancy or being "enslaved" by their reproductive capacity. This is essentially a male version of the same thing, even if what Joe says is true and hormones can be compensated for by other glands.
#25 Old 03-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigB View Post

I don't see what the big deal is. I can remember reading here on VB about women (albeit a small number of them) who would voluntarily get a hysterectomy so they never again had to worry about pregnancy or being "enslaved" by their reproductive capacity. This is essentially a male version of the same thing, even if what Joe says is true and hormones can be compensated for by other glands.

#26 Old 03-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Beginner

All I can think about is how odd the twig would look without the berries!! I think it's sick.....but I suppose it's not really much different than a grown man wanting to be circumcised if he is intact.
#27 Old 03-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post

I can really understand why some men would want this procedure done.

Interesting.

In college, a good friend of mine always joked (half seriously, it seemed) that he wanted to castrate himself on the metal kitchen table with a butcher knife.
#28 Old 03-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Beginner

I think you should be able to do whatever you want to yourself. However, I would think a responsible doctor wouldn't perform this procedure unless the person has attended some counseling to ensure that he reallys wants these changes.
#29 Old 03-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsch View Post

i knew a guy who had his girlfriend cut his penis in half, lengthwise, bit by bit. i don't know their reasons, but they're an extremely happy couple. and you'd never suspect what they're into to see them on the street.

This just .... hurts to read
#30 Old 03-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

I was up watching the Sundance Channel, and this program came on about men who voluntarily have themselves castrated! It's called "American Eunuchs" Here's a link to the show's website

I found it a bit painful to believe, but there is a small group out there that really wants this done, and they've formed a bit of an underground community. Anyway, the film never gave a really clear answer as to why these guys choose to do this, but from the subjects they interviewed, issues of "feeling in control" played a big role in their choice.

I thought this topic would definitely stimulate discussion, if not a few pained expressions . So, well, discuss.

Well Rev, I don't know what to say. I feel like you started this thread with the expectation that others here would feel a certain way (the way you feel about it).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page