John McDougall - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Beginner

I just happened to run across John McDougall's website again tonight and it brought back the same flood of emotions that it always does, so I wanted to post a rant, to get it off my chest.... His website is http://www.drmcdougall.com/

Every time I see Dr McDougall I immediately think of the televangelists and faith healers I used to watch when I was a pentecostal Christian. Anyone remember Benny Hinn? http://www.bennyhinn.com/ -- I liked a lot of the stuff Benny Hinn would say on TV, about having faith in God and trusting Him. He was charismatic, fun to watch, and he believe in Jesus like me, but I was never completely comfortable with his ministry. He was living an unapologetically extravagent lifestyle which I didn't feel was right, using God as just a sales point to get more donations and "faith partners" and never telling the whole truth. Those are the same things I think of when I hear John McDougall speak. Last time I heard him speak was at an animal rights conference two years ago, and I enjoyed every speaker but him. His speech reminded me of the tv evangelists who were trying to make money off of something good that people trusted but twisting it to sound better than it really was in hopes of making more money. McDougall's whole speech was selling up his Wellness Center where people could go to be healed of any illness, or continually peddling his books. He went through his whole speech rather quickly, never sharing many details and at the end during Q&A whenever someone had a question he would tell them to buy his book and it's all explained in his book. He mentioned his fancy cars and houses and told us how he had to rush off to catch a plane so he could make it to his cruise on time, as if we would feel happy hearing how rich he was. It was just like the TV Evangelists telling how God wants us all to be Rich and live in mansions here on earth, except he wasn't saying all that, he was just describing his lifestyle. His big selling point was that everyone on his diet lost weight because, he said, they were finally eating healthy. But when we talked about it afterwards at dinner (McDougall was gone by then), our group discussed how his diet was really just a starvation diet, very very low calorie intake, and it would be no surprise for anyone to lose weight on that diet, but that no one could continue on a starvation diet over the long term. Somehow his empassionate way of speaking led me to purchase his book, and looking through it I was again sadened by the misinformation. During the Q&A someone asked about B12, and McDougall basically dismissed them by stating that B12 stays in our systems for a long time so we really don't need to worry about that, but if we feel we are lacking that we can take a multivitamin. Early editions of his book didn't even address B12 deficiency, claiming that you could get all the B12 you need from unwashed organic fruits and vegetables (the mainstay of his diet program). Anyways, I hope people that hear him speak or read his books really think before the buy into all the hype. Just because someone is a charismatic speaker, doesn't mean everything they say is true or worth listening to, especially if speaking engagements are how they sell their goods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Beginner

The McDougall diet is far from a starvation diet. Quite the opposite, you're allowed to eat as much as you want of permitted foods. When I was following McDougall, I was never hungry and was getting more than enough calories. When I'm feeling like I need to get back to a healthier diet, I always follow a modified version of McDougall (I do disagree with him on the oil=poison stuff).

I've never heard him speak in person, so I can't address those issues, but I can say that given a choice between the Standard American Diet and McDougall's plan, I'd take McDougall any day. People who lose weight on McDougall are doing so as a result of a reduction in calories, which isn't a bad thing. It certainly doesn't mean that they're starving.

His ideas may seem rather extreme, and I don't necessarily agree with them all, but for someone who is experiencing health problems as a result of a lousy diet, the results can be dramatic.
#3 Old 08-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Beginner

http://www.bennyhinn.com/media/summe...onfinances.asx

Ugh! Click that link and watch that guy beg for people to send him money. So gross. That's not Jesus-like what-so-ever.
#4 Old 08-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Beginner

heh @ benny hinn. He's about as fake as a nine dollar bill.
#5 Old 08-03-2004, 01:30 AM
Beginner

I love Benny Hinn. He's so funny. I especially love the end sequences where they run around to that silly music.
#6 Old 08-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess B View Post

The McDougall diet is far from a starvation diet. Quite the opposite, you're allowed to eat as much as you want of permitted foods. When I was following McDougall, I was never hungry and was getting more than enough calories. When I'm feeling like I need to get back to a healthier diet, I always follow a modified version of McDougall (I do disagree with him on the oil=poison stuff).

I've never heard him speak in person, so I can't address those issues, but I can say that given a choice between the Standard American Diet and McDougall's plan, I'd take McDougall any day. People who lose weight on McDougall are doing so as a result of a reduction in calories, which isn't a bad thing. It certainly doesn't mean that they're starving.

His ideas may seem rather extreme, and I don't necessarily agree with them all, but for someone who is experiencing health problems as a result of a lousy diet, the results can be dramatic.

Yes, it works much the same way the Atkins diet works. You can eat as much as you want (of the approved foods) until you feel full, but your caloric intake is insufficient to meet your bodies needs (you're starving your body) so you start losing weight... until you have no weight to lose and start getting sick, and then you go off the diet and gain all the weight back, and have to start all over again.
#7 Old 08-03-2004, 04:20 AM
Beginner

I tried McDougall and almost died of boredom.

I'd rather weigh a ton than to eat without avocados and olive oil.

Don't know about him on a personal level, but if he's anything like Hinn, I'll make sure and stay far, far away.

I wish BH would get real about his faith and apologized publicly, give back people's money, and quietly began serving God instead of serving himself.

People who discover I'm Christian often require a deprogramming period in which I have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm not a nutcase, I'm not a hypocrite, I'm not going to hit them with my Bible, I don't think I'm better than anyone else.....people like hinn make it really hard for others to respect my faith.
Aristede likes this.
#8 Old 08-03-2004, 06:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

People who discover I'm Christian often require a deprogramming period in which I have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm not a nutcase, I'm not a hypocrite, I'm not going to hit them with my Bible, I don't think I'm better than anyone else.....people like hinn make it really hard for others to respect my faith.

exactly. Unfortunately, he's not the only one giving the impression that Christians are moneygrubbing, hypocritical, self righteous, brainwashing robots. There was Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggert, and Oral Roberts (remember him? "God will strike me dead if you don't send in X-amount of $$ by whatever date")... I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones that stick out in my memory most prominently. I think the only "tele-evangelist" who hasn't put a bad light on preachers/gospel/Christians is Billy Graham (and now Franklin Graham).
#9 Old 08-03-2004, 06:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

LOL....hon, exact same story here. Thanks for sharing that. I'm NOT alone!
#10 Old 08-03-2004, 07:55 AM
Beginner

I have read McDougal's books, I followed his plan for a while back in the 90s and I have read a lot about Atkins.

He may just be the unabashed money grubber people make him out to be.

I never met the man or heard him speak so I can't say.

His diet isn't for everyone.

However, being a bit of nutrition hobbyist I can say his diet does not deserve to be compared to the Atkin's diet.

Even professional researchers who support use of ketogenic diets harsly criticize Atkin's for being ignorant of the medical literature and getting the science about what his regime does wrong.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#11 Old 08-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Beginner

I have an associate who has been diagnosed with liver damage from being on the Atkins plan for so long. At least that's what his MD has surmised. He also has an extreme fluctuation in blood cell counts that his doctor also states is related. I personally don't know how Atkins affects the workings of the human body, other than the claims I've read about weight loss. But if these ailments are, in fact, related to the diet, we will see many more incidents of health deterioration from it.
#12 Old 08-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Yes, it works much the same way the Atkins diet works. You can eat as much as you want (of the approved foods) until you feel full, but your caloric intake is insufficient to meet your bodies needs (you're starving your body) so you start losing weight... until you have no weight to lose and start getting sick, and then you go off the diet and gain all the weight back, and have to start all over again.

Except that approved foods on the McDougall diet are 95% of the food available to humans to eat and approved Atkins food is the other 5%. Moreover, weight loss only occurs in the presence of a calorie deficit. Are you saying that losing weight is inherently dangerous and that nobody's health would benefit from doing it?
#13 Old 08-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Beginner

I'm with JessB on this one. I think that with slight modifications the McDougall program can be an excellent, interesting way to eat for the long term. If one goes not with the Maxiumum Weightloss plan, but with the standard McDougall plan, foods like avocados and nuts are all acceptable. In fact, all whole, vegan foods are acceptable on the McDougall plan. It is very easy to eat a sufficient amount of calories this way, and B12 can be had from fortified foods (non-fat soymilk) as easily as from a multi-vitamin, just as in a more relaxed vegan diet. So what's the problem?

McDougall is also rigorous about citing sources, and offers much information for free (on web sites, on his Tuesday morning TV show, his newsletter, etc.) I've never purchased a single thing in order to find out everything I've ever wanted to know about the McDougall diet. The library is a wonderful thing.

But, with all of that said. I think the more rigorous aspects of his diet are only necessary for folks who have a long and varied history of obesity and food-related illness. The rest of us of acceptable weight and in good health needn't be so hardcore about eschewing olive oil and the occasional Earth Balance schmere on toast.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page