Pussy Riot members jailed for two years for hooliganism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19297373

Quote:

Three members of Russian punk band Pussy Riot have been jailed for two years after staging an anti-Vladimir Putin protest in a Moscow cathedral.

Judge Marina Syrova convicted the women of hooliganism motivated by religious hatred, saying they had "crudely undermined social order".

The women say the protest, in February, was directed at the Russian Orthodox Church leader's support for Mr Putin.

The US, UK and EU all criticised the sentences as "disproportionate".

Prosecutors had been seeking a three-year jail sentence for the women.

when reached for comment Yakov Smirnoff said "in Putin's Russia Pussy f***s you!"

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 AM

I think with this court decision, the streets of Russia are at least safer from disagreement.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#3 Old 08-17-2012, 12:19 PM
whiskers rule

Did anyone seriously believe that they would receive a lesser sentence?

#4 Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 PM

In light of some of the stupid sentences handed out after our 'riots' where two men who tweeted "yeah, lets go break stuff rah rah" (approx.) received FOUR years apiece for the crime of essentially saying "Boo!", it's entirely hypocritical of the UK establishment to condemn Russia in this matter. As for the US, that would be a whole other story.

Otherwise, Pussy Riot did an excellent job in managing to offend both the Russian political establishment AND the Church at the same time - while becoming an international cause celebre in the process. Well done girls, and I like the pretty dresses too!

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#5 Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Apparently one of the members is vegan and hasn't been receiving adequate nutrition in jail, she collapsed from hunger during a court session. Alicia Silverstone has gotten involved and wrote to Putin asking that she be given access to vegan food: http://www.ecorazzi.com/2012/08/16/alicia-silverstone-to-putin-give-pussy-riot-vegan-food/

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 08-17-2012, 05:09 PM

Seriously, arguably confrontation with repressive forms of authority is always going to be an aspect of any kind of genuine anarchic or Punk expression. And as such I believe they did well to achieve their aim so visibly.

I particularly like the fact that Pussy Riot function as a balaclavared collective, meaning contrary to the cult of celebrity, the band and their political message are not conflated with individual faces, which -while significant in and of itself- clearly makes it far harder to silence them as a political voice.

I'll be following both this story and the Pussy Riot collective with interest. I hear they're a bunch of pretty smart and educated young women. I hope they can use the publicity they've gained to useful ends.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#7 Old 08-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Gotta love the band name also.
#8 Old 08-18-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

Seriously, arguably confrontation with repressive forms of authority is always going to be an aspect of any kind of genuine anarchic or Punk expression. And as such I believe they did well to achieve their aim so visibly.

I particularly like the fact that Pussy Riot function as a balaclavared collective, meaning contrary to the cult of celebrity, the band and their political message are not conflated with individual faces, which -while significant in and of itself- clearly makes it far harder to silence them as a political voice.

I'll be following both this story and the Pussy Riot collective with interest. I hear they're a bunch of pretty smart and educated young women. I hope they can use the publicity they've gained to useful ends.

This. I'm quite proud of them.

#9 Old 08-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#10 Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 AM

This sucks.  I support them 100%.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#11 Old 08-20-2012, 01:33 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Haha! I love Obama's facepalming the best. grin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page