Person with 61 IQ executed. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/14/supreme-court-outlawed-executing-mentally-retarded-but-texas-does-it-anyway.html

The Supreme Court does nothing about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

That is awful sad.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 08-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

IQ tests are biased. The documentary "speciesism" has a small excerpt about that. And they are. You have to be taught/exposed to the stuff on the IQ test to know it, you aren't just going to know most of the stuff out of thin air.

Scary thought that in the future, we might need to have a certain IQ to live. And if you don't know the answers to the biased questions, you are SOL.

Someone needs to start putting the hammer down in the supreme court. Is there just apathy? Do I need to do it? Seriously, is anyone getting anything done?

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#4 Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Texas loves killing people. It's sick, really.

#5 Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Banned

I don't care.

How may thousands of Cattle, Pigs and Chickens have been killed in Texas?

Marvin Wilson Kidnapped and Murdered a person.

I'm not a supporter of the death penalty but it doesn;t keep me awake at night and I certainly wouldn't spend a minute of my time that could be used to help animals to help scum like this.

#6 Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Ankle Biter

He was mentally retarded. sad.gif I have a mentally retarded daughter who's IQ is in the 50s. While she's not at all violent, she really does not have the capacity to understand the full repercussions of some of the things she does.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#7 Old 11-18-2012, 01:44 PM

#8 Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Assuming it's not done for medical reasons, I consider it far more cruel to force a child to be born to a mother who is wanting to kill the fetus late term, than to terminate.

To be born unwanted is one of the worst things possible to do to a child, if you know about child psychology. 

I see a lot of people who were loved and wanted by their parent/s trying to foist this onto children.  If you're never born, you don't know you were never born, and a few minutes of possible pain in termination is nothing compared to a virtually guaranteed lifetime of emotional suffering from being born unwanted into an already hard world.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#9 Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 PM

#10 Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM

How about if the woman has been drinking throughout her pregnancy - causing fetal alcohol syndrome?  If you really want to kill your late term fetus, and you're an addict, how much do you care about prenatal health?  How about they discover the child has a severe (but not fatal) birth defect?  Will that baby get adopted?  If the woman doesn't want the baby so badly that she'd prefer to kill it as a late term fetus, she is a hostile host to a very fragile fetus.

I would take a late term feral or stray cat to have a termination too - because being born unwanted, or taking the place of another cat on death row, is a greater wrong.  And I know what the procedure looks like. 

Killing fully sentient, independent, healthy animals for food is very different.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#11 Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 PM

#12 Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Exactly my point though - their mothers decided to keep them.  They were wanted.  Now imagine that scenario with a mother who would kill you if she could.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:

It sounds like they were playing roulette with the chance that they wouldn't get pregnant.  But once the pregnancy has occurred they probably reason that $1,200 is definitely cheaper than a child.

I (and probably most vegans) don't necessarily value "life" just for the sake of being life.  Sentience generally has something to do with the value I put on a life.  I don't feel the need to respect lettuce. 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#14 Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 PM

#15 Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Covered in Waves

(deleted by request - WG)

Agree.

"The soul's dominion? Each time we make a choice, we pay with courage to behold restless day and count it fair."

Amelia Earhart
#16 Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I hope he didn't understand they were going to kill him. sad.gif
#17 Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:

That would be nonsensical for a meat eater to say that.  Unless they want to argue that cows aren't sentient, and therefore they don't need to respect them - but saying cows aren't sentient can be disproven.  Meat eaters don't typically argue on the basis of sentience, because their stance on how they treat humans vs. animals would be inconsistent.

No one would argue that lettuce is sentient (unless from a very esoteric, unscientific perspective).

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#18 Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Covered in Waves

(quote deleted by request)

Wut? If a meateater argued that you'd need only read them the definition of sentience.

"The soul's dominion? Each time we make a choice, we pay with courage to behold restless day and count it fair."

Amelia Earhart
#19 Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 AM

#20 Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:

The vast majority of abortions are performed long, long before 24 weeks, and those that occur so late are usually due to severe birth defects that weren't detected earlier.

Severally mentally disabled people or people with brain injuries (assuming they're not brain dead) are sentient - I'm not sure you quite understand what the word means. Sentience is an extremely basic form of self-awareness that almost every living being that can move has. It's a strawman to talk about your family member who lacks self-consciousness in this context. Your family member is sentient and the vast majority of aborted fetuses were not, so it's irrelevant.

Regarding your friends who have abortions instead of using birth control because it's cheaper: Assuming you're telling the truth, then your friends are stupid. They're completely and utterly stupid. They can't do basic math. What makes you think they'd be good mothers? What makes you think they'd even be capable of bringing a fetus safely to term? It's a big responsibility.

ETA On topic, the fact that this person was executed is horrific. The death penalty is a barbaric holdover from a less civilized time and it needs to be eradicated.

#21 Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Beatricious, I really couldn't care less if you believe my story about my friend. I have no motivation to invent a story to entertain you. You are not very classy in criticizing me for bringing up my family member, which is probably just another invented story. I frankly don't give a damn about your opinion of me. You don't know me. And you should be ashamed of yourself for talking out of your ass!

And somehow, because there is more than one aspect in the discussion about sentience, I apparently also don't know what the word means. You don't know me, my background or my motivation, yet you are quickly to jump in to personal attacks. Do your own research before you start criticizing me.

Here's my final bottom line. My respect extends to human and animal life. The two can go together. And it doesn't matter how many late term abortions take place, it is not a quantitative matter to me. I can have the same passion for human life that I have for an animal, without any contradiction.

There is a difference between a discussion and an argument. But I guess I probably wouldn't know the difference, would I?
#22 Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 AM

Mod post:

This is a thread about someone who was executed, not abortion. Let's keep it on-topic. If you want to continue the abortion discussion, either create a new thread or we can separate those posts into a new one.
#23 Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalia View Post

Beatricious, I really couldn't care less if you believe my story about my friend. I have no motivation to invent a story to entertain you. You are not very classy in criticizing me for bringing up my family member, which is probably just another invented story. I frankly don't give a damn about your opinion of me. You don't know me. And you should be ashamed of yourself for talking out of your ass!
And somehow, because there is more than one aspect in the discussion about sentience, I apparently also don't know what the word means. You don't know me, my background or my motivation, yet you are quickly to jump in to personal attacks. Do your own research before you start criticizing me.
Here's my final bottom line. My respect extends to human and animal life. The two can go together. And it doesn't matter how many late term abortions take place, it is not a quantitative matter to me. I can have the same passion for human life that I have for an animal, without any contradiction.
There is a difference between a discussion and an argument. But I guess I probably wouldn't know the difference, would I?

Since the mod has requested we end this discussion and get back on topic, I won't respond except to say that I wasn't intending to be as rude as I obviously came off. My apologies.

#24 Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Probably a related topic is better than no conversation at all, no?  This board is very quiet.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#25 Old 11-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Covered in Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Probably a related topic is better than no conversation at all, no?  This board is very quiet.

Seriously though, where did everyone go?

Amelia Earhart
#26 Old 11-20-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:

Yeah really. A rousing abortion debate is probably exactly what we need. What happened to Clueless_Git anyway?

#27 Old 11-20-2012, 05:29 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

Quote:

Yeah really. A rousing abortion debate is probably exactly what we need. What happened to Clueless_Git anyway?

Banned.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#28 Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Banned.

Heh, really? Well, that's probably a good thing on the whole.

#29 Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Banned

Starting an abortion thread.

#30 Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM
gherkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndulation View Post

Starting an abortion thread.

could you call it "termination debate thread" or something?.....it drove me up the wall seeing the single word 'abortion' jumping up the new posts lists, for months on end.....this is supposed to be a forum about vegetarianism....I don't want to think about abortion all the time,.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page