"Should You Boycott Chik-Fil-A?" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.slate.com/blogs/spitzer/2012/07/24/should_you_boycott_chick_fil_a_.html
Quote:
Chick-fil-A makes a great chicken sandwich, and I used to like getting one—with a cup of their amazing lemonade—whenever I was in the South. In fact, before I knew more about Chick-fil-A, I used to joke about helping to open one in New York.

Then I found out the company, according to the LGBT group Equality Matters, has donated millions of dollars to groups that oppose gay rights, and Chick-fil-A's president, Dan Cathy, told a Baptist newspaper that he supported the "biblical" definition of family. That’s why former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas has asked that folks who share the company's principles stop by a Chick-fil-A on Aug. 1 to show support for the company's conservative values.

And that's fair enough.

If you really don't think gays and lesbians should have the same rights as everyone else, and you oppose same-sex marriage, stop by Chick-fil-A. If you truly believe gays and lesbians should be second-class citizens, and if you sincerely don't want them to marry the people they love, stop by Chick-fil-A.

But the same goes for those of us who support same-sex marriage and have what we consider to be a broader view of civil rights. We should boycott Chick-fil-A. These are our consumer dollars—and they're part of our voice. We should use them for products we like—to support companies we like and to back causes we like.

As good as those Chick-fil-A lunches used to taste, there are other places to get a chicken sandwich.

Obviously they aren't a very popular restaurant with us anyway, but I think their waffle fries are vegetarian and they have drinks and stuff. Would you boycott them for this? We don't have Chik-Fil-A here but if we did I'd make a point to not get anything there.

In a way it kind of bums me out that people who don't care about animals at all are now boycotting them for other reasons, but on the other hand at least they feel compassion for people and it would really be a problem if they didn't get upset about any injustice. It's possible a lot of them would care and are just ignorant about animal cruelty issues. I wonder how many of these people would become veg*n if they watched Earthlings... thinking.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Ankle Biter

I do not spend money in Chick-fil-A, McDonalds, or KFC out of vegan principles. But I also do not spend money in Hobby Lobby or Urban Outfitters because of their far-right wing agenda. We don't have Carl's Jr. here, but I understand they're pretty anti-gay as well.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Definitely, no more for me :)

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#4 Old 07-24-2012, 05:27 PM

Never been inside a Chick-Fil-A. Doubt there's anything veg*n anyway.

#5 Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

Never been inside a Chick-Fil-A. Doubt there's anything veg*n anyway.

There is a fruit cup, and I think their fries are vegan, but I have been wrong about fries before...

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#6 Old 07-24-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

There is a fruit cup, and I think their fries are vegan, but I have been wrong about fries before...

Oh, didn't know about the fruit cup. Looked it up and there are some options

http://www.veganeatingout.com/chick-fil-a-e-mail/

#7 Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I have gotten fries and some decent lemonade there in a desperate moment, but no more!
#8 Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 PM

Yeah, they're a disgusting company.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#9 Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I have gotten fries and some decent lemonade there in a desperate moment, but no more!

Obligatory.

Keep on freepin' on

#10 Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, it's Willem from Ru Paul's Drag Race! laugh.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#11 Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 PM

I have only ate there if I had a gift card, or another person was buying. When I worked at Macy's they gave gift cards for chick as work incentive. They made me a condiment and veggie sandwich for like .80.

Ironically a person I know who is gay worked there a long time ago and received a bit of money for college from them.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#12 Old 07-24-2012, 11:12 PM

i've never eaten there but i would boycott a company for something like that
#13 Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Zelda Freak

Never heard of them. But I'd never let my son be a boy scout for the same reasons, so yeah I'd not support them either. I bet though that there are a lot more corporations that we know who act like this. It's sad. Well, a sadness cherry on top of the already present empty calories and meat issues. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards: FacebookTwitter + Pinterest
* Find me: Twitter + Facebook + Pinterest
#14 Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Never heard of them. But I'd never let my son be a boy scout for the same reasons, so yeah I'd not support them either. I bet though that there are a lot more corporations that we know who act like this. It's sad. Well, a sadness cherry on top of the already present empty calories and meat issues. 

Good plan on the boyscout. I was sad to hear, because I know someone that works with a closeby boyscout troup, that one of the men was gay and had a son in it and a religious person in charge didn't want to let them be a part of it. :/ Although, I have to say, that may have been a good thing because.....boyscouts sucks...don't go near it. no.gif  Many boyscoutst don't understand the simple concept of recycling x_x because the people in charge don't do it themselves. whack.gif Frazzles me to know end. Much of what they learn is by old people who are way to far back in old concepts of "fun" and outdoor stuff. They also learn how to catch fish as part of their "activities." It's a sad day whenever I'm around to see :(

#15 Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

Oh, didn't know about the fruit cup. Looked it up and there are some options

http://www.veganeatingout.com/chick-fil-a-e-mail/

Fail. They wrote honey roasted sunflower kernels under the vegan list.

Well, I give them some credit for trying.

#16 Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Banned

Yes, easy to choose to boycott them. Long list of reasons why...
#17 Old 07-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Yes, easy to choose to boycott them. Long list of reasons why...

The Jim Henson company agrees too, when they heard about the homophobia they severed all ties with them and refused to sell their toys there anymore. But now there's a scandal because Chik-Fil-A has been claiming the toys were pulled due to a 'safety issue' and they have been making fake Facebook accounts to defend themselves it appears:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/24/1113286/-Chick-Fil-A-now-lying-for-Jesus-that-the-Muppets-are-unsafe

http://gizmodo.com/5928926/chick+fil+a-got-caught-pretending-to-be-a-fake-teenage-girl-on-facebook

#18 Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 PM

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”

#19 Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Fail. They wrote honey roasted sunflower kernels under the vegan list.

Well, I give them some credit for trying.

Didn't read the whole list.

Guessing they don't see honey as an animal product

#20 Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 AM

I encourage my LGBT community to oppose all forms of oppression, including that of nonhuman animals.

#21 Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

#22 Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:

Hmmm, I dunno. It seems kind of childish. Chick-fil-a doesn't don't deny gay people work or anything, the people in charge just don't agree with the "marriage" aspect of it. I think we could have saved a lot of trouble with this is we had just given civil unions the same exact rights as marriage and the gays could call it marriage if they wanted. Overall they have a right to not want to support gay marriage, just like many christian groups don't support it. It doesn't mean they are against their rights. Like I said, I think this a rather childish "in your face" protest when they didn't really do anything that I know of to deserve it. I'm not one to defend chick-fil-a, I swear I don't want to go there again, but I don't want things to get distorted. (Though it's a rather harmless protest and I'm sure many will laugh at it.)

#23 Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

Hmmm, I dunno. It seems kind of childish. ....I think we could have saved a lot of trouble with this is we had just given civil unions the same exact rights as marriage and the gays could call it marriage if they wanted. Overall they have a right to not want to support gay marriage, just like many christian groups don't support it. It doesn't mean they are against their rights. 

It actually means exactly that they are against our rights.  Equal treatment is a right.  

as for your comment about civil unions being the same as marriage: even if they were exactly the same, they wouldn't be the same bc they are not called marriage, separate but equal doesn't work. 

Chick fil a pretty much asked for it, they are planning their own day of support/bigotry on aug 1.  why a fast food restaurant has to express their religious values is a big question for me?  

#24 Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM

Haven't ate at Chik Fil A since I became a vegan which was years ago. I didn't know about Carls Jr ( in SC they are called Hardee's) I don't eat there either but I will spread the word around. 

#25 Old 07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

It actually means exactly that they are against our rights.  Equal treatment is a right.  

as for your comment about civil unions being the same as marriage: even if they were exactly the same, they wouldn't be the same bc they are not called marriage, separate but equal doesn't work. 

Chick fil a pretty much asked for it, they are planning their own day of support/bigotry on aug 1.  why a fast food restaurant has to express their religious values is a big question for me?  

Nobody said they were against their rights and nobody said that they wouldn't get equal treatment. I don't see why they can't simply be documented as civil unions and the gays can choose to call it marriage if they want. I'm trying to be fair to both sides(as I have heard from both sides) here because I don't think a lot of of the gay supporters understand that the majority of the opposing view isn't against their rights, but is against the idea having it documented as a marriage because, in their belief, marriage is between a man and a woman. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I understand that perspective, and likewise marriage was here first.

I find it a bit immodest and almost disrespectful that there is a lot of support over trying to "redefine" what the word marriage has been to people over the centuries. I don't see how it's too much to ask of others to respect that belief, and basically get "married" but with it documented as a civil union with equal rights (if the government would just give civil unions equal rights @_@).  The argument "It wouldn't be the same" is rather silly. It's just a documentation word difference and both are a commitment and a partnership. This is not "separate but equal" as we aren't separating facilities or anything of the sort. After that people could call it whatever they like and we could all be happier. This would have saved us all this trouble and all these political issues. x_x I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, I just want others to understand both sides's views and be rational about solving the issue.

Same reason why vegan restaurants express their belief that animals are sentient and shouldn't be eaten? I dunno, everybody just wants to have an opinion...xD Though, yeah, you'd think a big fast food place would be more neutral.

#26 Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM

*sigh*

#27 Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Nobody said they were against their rights and nobody said that they wouldn't get equal treatment. I don't see why they can't simply be documented as civil unions and the gays can choose to call it marriage if they want.

So gays will have a separate institution called "civil unions", that will be equal under the law?

Can we call it the "separate but equal" doctrine?  Because it should go as well as the previous attempt to try that solution for human rights.

#28 Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 PM

WOW

http://live.drjays.com/index.php/2012/07/26/chick-fil-a-poses-as-teen-abby-farle-on-facebook/

#29 Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 AM
Oryzatarian

Government should get out of the business of religion and corporations should be banned from buying legislators. It would solve many problems.

Kind of a mind bender for me, anyway, people getting all excited about the sanctity of marriage, etc. in my religion the church is explicitly banned from performing weddings by its own rules because such things are exclusively secular institutions. I couldnt get married to a man OR a woman if the church has to be involved.

Civil unions should be all there is under the law, churches can then use whatever nickname they like for the arrangement. And cultural reletivism should be applied, people shouldnt be forced by legislation to conform to the culture of the majority.

Oh, and I would boycott chick-fil-a because they are exploiting a corrupt political system to buy legislation that forces their own ideals on others.

#30 Old 07-27-2012, 07:14 AM

I think the company made a seriously poor business decision by offending a large group of their customers. They aren't seeing very clearly here, they will plummet in sales as a result of their comments. They should learn to follow the rule: If you don't have something nice to say its better not to say anything at all.

But in a way, I'm glad they made their ridiculously offensive statements. I'd love to see an entire chicken chain close down ;)

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page