LA Times: Beyond 7 Billion - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
"After remaining stable for most of human history, the world's population has exploded over the last two centuries. The boom is not over: The biggest generation in history is just entering its childbearing years. The coming wave will reshape the planet, and the impact will be greatest in the poorest, most unstable countries."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/population/

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Beginner

I really hope the rising levels of education and the increased access to information puts a dent in this.

Right now, odds are that we're going to peak at just over 10 billion.  That's not good, especially since most of the population gains are going to be in poorer, more densely-populated countries.

If we're lucky, we'll peak at about 8 billion.  I doubt it, but it is within the realm of possibility.

Then, of course, we'll have the other problem that within 50 to 100 years from now, we're going to be dealing with a falling population.  That's not bad when it comes to the environment, but for our society and culture, we're already seeing problems in countries with a large elderly population.  We're going to have to adapt to deal with those changes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page