Anti-Animal Testing Video By Lush Cosmetics [Downplays] Violence Towards Women - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
But look, it's sort of Occam's Razor, y'all. If it looks like an American Apparel ad and smells like an American Apparel ad, and a certain sort of man will be masturbating to it later, does its self-awareness negate the fact that it's perpetuating the same sort of titillation?

Does This Anti-Animal Testing Video By Lush Cosmetics Downplay Violence Towards Women?

I briefly overhead a radio station talking about how a few cosmetic companies that abandoned animal testing have resumed it so I was googling to see if I could source what I heard. Instead, I came across this article.

I've never been impressed with any of Jezebel's articles and this is just another example.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

I've never been impressed with any of Jezebel's articles and this is just another example.

I've always been impressed by how bad they are.

We are all copies of the same machine. 

#3 Old 05-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Beginner

I just don't see any similarity between American Apparel ads and this one, and I can't imagine how she's making that comparison.

And the article she links to, about how everyone cares so much more about animals than women:

Quote:
Did you know that there are 3,800 animal shelters in the United States, but only 1,500 shelters for abused women?

Yeah, if the women's shelter you go into kills you by the millions (by lethal injection, shooting, or gassing), I really don't think you want parity in shelters. They are not the same thing with the same function. That's a completely oversimplified and ignorant way of looking at the issue.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#4 Old 05-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

That's a completely oversimplified and ignorant way of looking at the issue.

+1.
#5 Old 05-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Beginner

Not to mention, I just can't understand how she connects her "dots" as it were. I certainly is not any kind of Earth logic I've ever seen.

She suggests the ads might be "downplaying" abuse of women by this performance? The intended meaning of the video is the exact opposite: cruelty to animals is just as heinous, depraved, and disgusting as is the abuse of another human being, man or women.

Hell, if anything, women's abuse organizations should start bringing the issue out from behind closed doors and in the faces of the public with similar performances.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#6 Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Beginner

Did she even watch the video? It's horrible, there's nothing titilating about it.
#7 Old 05-19-2012, 02:59 AM
Banned

shocked.gif

#8 Old 05-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Beginner

Knowing Jezebel, if the ad involved men being abused instead of women, Jezebel would have written that abuse is only shocking if it involved men.
#9 Old 05-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Knowing Jezebel, if the ad involved men being abused instead of women, Jezebel would have written that abuse is only shocking if it involved men.

You're probably right. There was an article by them recently about cupcakes as a psycho-sexual symbol that practically had me rolling on the floor laughing. They CAN'T be serious half the time. A lot of different writers contribute though, occasionally there's a good point made here and there.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#10 Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Beginner

I was talking to a vegan guy the other night about the backlash towards the Lush campaign as he hadn't heard much about it and he couldn't believe people would have a negative reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

There was an article by them recently about cupcakes as a psycho-sexual symbol that practically had me rolling on the floor laughing.

"When you see a woman eating a cupcake, you're basically watching her perform cunnilingus on herself" Okaaayyy.....
#11 Old 05-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

"When you see a woman eating a cupcake, you're basically watching her perform cunnilingus on herself" Okaaayyy.....

Reminds me of the Portlandia episode where a parody of a feminist says "everytime you point, I see a penis".

Which logically leads to the exploitation that happens everyday in bakeries, as people point to cupcakes.
#12 Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

There was an article by them recently about cupcakes as a psycho-sexual symbol that practically had me rolling on the floor laughing.

There's also the one about how popular girls' names are sounding more and more like genitalia, because a lot of them end with the letter "a".

We are all copies of the same machine. 

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page