Christian Pastor Calls For Starbucks Boycott Over Gay Marriage Support - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Beginner
 
Digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,900
Interestingly, my first thought after reading this story was 'I wonder how long it will be before this pastor gets caught with a boytoy on the side'? With these evangelical types it's only ever a matter of time isn't it? The ones who protest the loudest are always the ones with the packed closets.

Quote:
"Christians are upset with Starbucks for turning against God...Starbucks can follow Satan if they want to," Steven Andrew, and evangelical pastor and president of the USA Christian Ministries in California, said in a statement. "However, pastors are to help Christians. Are you on the Lord's side? Will you help the USA be blessed by God?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1253086.html
Digger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Beginner
 
mrsschu2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,299
I'm a PK and have an inordinate amount of Christian pastor friends and family members. I saw this on Facebook this morning, and they were organizing a We Support Gay Marriage trip to Starbucks today.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
mrsschu2u is offline  
#3 Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Beginner
 
Phoenix Days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,969
Well I had starbucks yesterday, I guess I should go find one again today.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
Phoenix Days is offline  
#4 Old 02-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Beginner
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Again, it's like that silly GS cookie boycott - I doubt many people will take it seriously, either because they actually support gay marriage or at the very least because they need their daily caffeine buzz.

Is it any wonder that more and more Americans are identifying themselves as agnostic or atheist when a lot of the "Christians" in this country are using the Bible to promote hate and intolerance?

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#5 Old 02-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Beginner
 
mrsschu2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,299
There are also a lot who aren't. We just don't get the press. It's less interesting.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
mrsschu2u is offline  
#6 Old 02-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Beginner
 
vegkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the depths of N'Kai
Posts: 3,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Again, it's like that silly GS cookie boycott - I doubt many people will take it seriously, either because they actually support gay marriage or at the very least because they need their daily caffeine buzz.

All I can ever think of when this stuff happens is a crazy old man going "Sonny, did I ever tells ya 'bout the time ah was abducted by aliens? Whuh? No? Well - whuh? You dun care? Never mind thayn..."

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

vegkid is offline  
#7 Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Beginner
 
cornsail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,156
I can't take any Christian seriously who uses Leviticus to condemn homosexuality. They're either knowingly phony hypocrites or they're completely ignorant of their supposed area of expertise.

We are all copies of the same machine. 

cornsail is offline  
#8 Old 02-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Beginner
 
peacefulveglady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicagoland IL area
Posts: 2,217
I am a strong Bible believing Christian that thinks that we are all sinners, these people needs to listen the new Casting Crowns song Jesus Friends of sinners, I am getting tired of these companies in attack and there are people needing jobs and careers and need money to feed their families, this is hogwash and distraction from the truth that Jesus taught.
peacefulveglady is offline  
#9 Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member
 
whisper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,939

~


‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"
 

whisper is offline  
#10 Old 02-05-2012, 04:23 AM
Beginner
 
fadeaway1289's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Hey, I'm not a sinner. In fact, I'm so perfect and pure of heart and soul, that angels follow my every step, singing in ecstasy.

Back on topic....
It seems like the best advertising for a business nowadays, is to have a religious leader or right wing nut pick on your company, and it'll bring in people in droves.



Very true. All these stories give me an urge to go to Starbucks to have a coffee while I eat my Girlscout cookies after I have a shopping spree at JcPenney: http://news.yahoo.com/traditional-fa...220453716.html.
fadeaway1289 is offline  
#11 Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Beginner
 
peacefulveglady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicagoland IL area
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post


Back on topic....
It seems like the best advertising for a business nowadays, is to have a religious leader or right wing nut pick on your company, and it'll bring in people in droves.

Yes I agree since I am realm of them when I got to church , its gets annoying at times when they say they will boycott 1,000's of products, then they wonder why they can't feed their families, bath their families, clean their homes and ETC if they come and say and complain they don't have stuff to do so, then I would say that your picking to boycott things that supports gay marriage, supports abortion and woman rights too choose and support anything that you feel is godless. I am glad my husband and I are using our head and not boycotting these products like these *******s.
peacefulveglady is offline  
#12 Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Beginner
 
peacefulveglady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicagoland IL area
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post



Very true. All these stories give me an urge to go to Starbucks to have a coffee while I eat my Girlscout cookies after I have a shopping spree at JcPenney: http://news.yahoo.com/traditional-fa...220453716.html.

Now what is wrong with JC Penny's hiring a lesbian? People needs to get out of other people buisness and clean up their own skeleton's in the closet , the preaching they listen to each sunday is for them not to slam everyone in the head with it.
peacefulveglady is offline  
#13 Old 02-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,131
Now I wish I had Starbucks more than like twice a year so I can NOT support this.
disney.jessica is offline  
#14 Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Beginner
 
Josh James xVx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,097
Ah..the American Taliban strikes again.

Tam! RUGH!
Josh James xVx is offline  
#15 Old 02-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Beginner
 
AlainWinthrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,063
What's the point of a company taking a position on gay marriage? It still only represents the opinions of a few corporate heads.
AlainWinthrope is offline  
#16 Old 02-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Beginner
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

What's the point of a company taking a position on gay marriage? It still only represents the opinions of a few corporate heads.

Because members of the GLBT community work for these companies and will be affected by issues such as gay marriage, and these companies have to be sensitive in their hiring and employment policies. If, for example, they grant bereavement leave for straight employees who lose their spouses but not for gay employees who lose their partners, they could find the company a defendant in an anti-discrimination lawsuit. That's just one example.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#17 Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,430
deleted
Beetlejuice is offline  
#18 Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Beginner
 
peacefulveglady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicagoland IL area
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Because members of the GLBT community work for these companies and will be affected by issues such as gay marriage, and these companies have to be sensitive in their hiring and employment policies. If, for example, they grant bereavement leave for straight employees who lose their spouses but not for gay employees who lose their partners, they could find the company a defendant in an anti-discrimination lawsuit. That's just one example.

I don't understand why some people are wanting to deny people to provide for their families , their personal choices should remain in their private life, this country came from reminding people's buisness to wanting to be nosy about your buisness, I can't even get a house loan now with the banks wanting to pry into our medical records.
peacefulveglady is offline  
#19 Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Hey, I'm not a sinner. In fact, I'm so perfect and pure of heart and soul, that angels follow my every step, singing in ecstasy.

Back on topic....
It seems like the best advertising for a business nowadays, is to have a religious leader or right wing nut pick on your company, and it'll bring in people in droves.



Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Very true. All these stories give me an urge to go to Starbucks to have a coffee while I eat my Girlscout cookies after I have a shopping spree at JcPenney: http://news.yahoo.com/traditional-fa...220453716.html.

I might do that! I already bought Girl Scout cookies recently, will need more. I think I'll get them from a coworker, stop by JcP after work to get more work pants, then head to Starbucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

Yes I agree since I am realm of them when I got to church , its gets annoying at times when they say they will boycott 1,000's of products, then they wonder why they can't feed their families, bath their families, clean their homes and ETC if they come and say and complain they don't have stuff to do so, then I would say that your picking to boycott things that supports gay marriage, supports abortion and woman rights too choose and support anything that you feel is godless. I am glad my husband and I are using our head and not boycotting these products like these *******s.

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

Now what is wrong with JC Penny's hiring a lesbian? People needs to get out of other people buisness and clean up their own skeleton's in the closet , the preaching they listen to each sunday is for them not to slam everyone in the head with it.

Because people can't relate to lesbians. They're robots without jobs and don't need to wear clothes, how can a person relate to that? Considering how sweet and awesome Ellen is, I don't get the boycott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Because members of the GLBT community work for these companies and will be affected by issues such as gay marriage, and these companies have to be sensitive in their hiring and employment policies. If, for example, they grant bereavement leave for straight employees who lose their spouses but not for gay employees who lose their partners, they could find the company a defendant in an anti-discrimination lawsuit. That's just one example.

I know a lot of gay people who work for Starbucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I am a strong Bible believing Christian that thinks that we are all sinners, these people needs to listen the new Casting Crowns song Jesus Friends of sinners, I am getting tired of these companies in attack and there are people needing jobs and careers and need money to feed their families, this is hogwash and distraction from the truth that Jesus taught.

danakscully64 is online now  
#20 Old 02-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Beginner
 
Digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,900
I get so annoyed when one outspoken pastor assumes that he speaks for all Christians, as this bozo obviously does. I have many Christian friends who think nothing like this moron... and it must really bother you that he speaks as though he is voicing your thoughts as well. I was glad to read some of the comments to this article from people who are saying that they are Christian and also support gay marriage. If I were a religious type, which I am not, I would at least like to think that my god is accepting of everyone he created.
Digger is offline  
#21 Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Beginner
 
mrsschu2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I get so annoyed when one outspoken pastor assumes that he speaks for all Christians, as this bozo obviously does. I have many Christian friends who think nothing like this moron... and it must really bother you that he speaks as though he is voicing your thoughts as well. I was glad to read some of the comments to this article from people who are saying that they are Christian and also support gay marriage. If I were a religious type, which I am not, I would at least like to think that my god is accepting of everyone he created.

Absolutely.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
mrsschu2u is offline  
#22 Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 14,275
Best advertisement for Starbucks ever.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is online now  
#23 Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Beginner
 
Josh James xVx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Best advertisement for Starbucks ever.


I have the strangest urge for a soy mocha latte.

Tam! RUGH!
Josh James xVx is offline  
#24 Old 02-15-2012, 04:00 AM
Beginner
 
christinahudler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I get so annoyed when one outspoken pastor assumes that he speaks for all Christians, as this bozo obviously does. I have many Christian friends who think nothing like this moron... and it must really bother you that he speaks as though he is voicing your thoughts as well. I was glad to read some of the comments to this article from people who are saying that they are Christian and also support gay marriage. If I were a religious type, which I am not, I would at least like to think that my god is accepting of everyone he created.

This. I'm happy that more and more Christians seem to not be so anti-lgbtq. Many of those Christians being the younger generations and the future of the church. I was so happy when I found a church where the pastor HERself (also loved that the pastoral team was mostly female) told me that they loved and accepted *all* people and had not only multiple gay couples, but also a transgendered woman (mtf). This pastor also had beliefs about evolution being part of God's creation. Man, now I'm so sad I moved and am not at that church anymore


In the vein of the original post I wanted to say that Chick-fil-a has had the opposite "problem". They have been being boycotted for a while by the LGBTQ community because they seemed supportive of a group ran by an anti-gay supporter:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/31/...rights-rumble/
christinahudler is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off