"Susan G. Komen Halts Grants To Planned Parenthood" - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Joe

Give Komen the Pink Slip: Five Ways to Support Women's Health for All

http://www.good.is/post/give-komen-t...ealth-for-all/

Quote:
If you're pissed off, show it with your dollarseven if you can only part with a few of them. And afterwards, be sure to tell the Komen Foundation where your money went.

Donate to Planned Parenthood. The obvious choice is to compensate for what Planned Parenthood has lost. The organization received $680,000 from Susan G. Komen last year alone, and virtually every dollar was used for breast exams. That leaves a gaping hole in their funding. Help fill it here (and make sure to mark it "for breast cancer screenings").
Support a breast cancer organization with some integrity. Not every organization will sell out women's health to please anti-abortion rights legislators. Some anti-cancer advocacy groups make their feminist messages explicit and central. Breast Cancer Action, the National Breast Cancer Coalition, and the Women's Community Cancer Project are three that have genuinely feminist roots.
Help the women the Komen Foundation has ignored. Awareness isn't enoughsome women just can't afford breast cancer screenings. Women of color and poor women will be hurt most by the foundation's decision. Donating to places like the African American Breast Cancer Alliance or Black Women's Health Imperative will help these women get the medical attention they need.
Prop up a pro-choice, pro-woman organization. A strike against Planned Parenthood is a strike against women's health in general. If breast cancer is too specific a cause for you, donate to a women-centered organization that provides crucial sex and health information, like Our Bodies, Ourselves or the National Women's Health Network.
Support your local women's clinic. Planned Parenthood is the most ubiquitous group of health clinics in the country, but there are other local women's health clinics that provide breast exams, and they're likely struggling even more. Places like the Chicago Women's Health Center or the Cedar River Clinics could really use some cash, too. Or donate to your local abortion fundaccess to a safe abortion may be more of a political lightning rod than breast cancer screenings, but it's no less essential.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Attachment 17688
The Susan G. Komen website banner was hacked last night
LL

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#33 Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Attachment 17688
The Susan G. Komen website banner was hacked last night

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#34 Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM

^lmao.
#35 Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

This is less funny and more angering:

Komen's $7.5 Million Grant to Penn State Appears to Violate Policy

Quote:
Susan G. Komen for the Cure, which recently announced that it is ending grants to Planned Parenthood for breast cancer screening because of a controversial investigation launched by an anti-abortion Republican congressman, currently funds cancer research at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center to the tune of $7.5 million. Like Planned Parenthood, Penn State is currently the subject of a federal government investigation, and like the Planned Parenthood grant, the Penn State grant appears to violate a new internal rule at Komen that bans grants to organizations that are under investigation by federal, state, or local governments. But so far, only the Planned Parenthood grants appear to have been cancelled.
An internal Komen memo written by President Elizabeth Thompson and obtained by Jeffrey Goldberg of The Atlantic states that if "an applicant or its affiliates" is under investigation "for financial or administrative improprieties by local, state or federal authorities," then "the applicant will be ineligible to receive a grant." Penn State, the Pennsylvania university that the Hershey center is affiliated with, is currently under investigation by the federal government over the sexual assault scandal involving former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, who has been indicted on multiple counts of sexual abuse of children. In 2008, the Komen foundation awarded a five-year, $7.5 million grant to the Hershey center to study treatments that could reduce the risk of breast cancer.
Under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, university officials are required to "issue a timely warning if a reported crime represents a threat to the campus community." The Department of Education announced that it was investigating Penn State over possible Clery Act violations last November, and a Penn State spokesperson told Mother Jones that the investigation is ongoing. The Komen foundation has not yet responded to a request for comment.
Komen's founder, Nancy Brinker, is a former Bush administration official who has given almost $200,000 to Republican officials over the years, and Karen Handel, Komen's top lobbyist, is a pro-life Republican who was elected secretary of state in Georgia. Komen officials have insisted that Brinker and Handel's right-leaning politics weren't a factor in the decision to cut off funding, but Goldberg reported that the new grant standards were written as a pretext for denying funds to Planned Parenthood, and that the decision was "driven" by Handel.
Brinker, appearing on MSNBC Thursday afternoon, denied the decision had anything to do with politics. "I'm troubled that it's been labeled as political. This is not a political decision," Brinker said.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#36 Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM

As I explained to my husband, "They can decide who they distribute their funds to, and so can I." I'm glad that people are starting to understand that it is really just a fundraising organization.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#37 Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 PM

I am on the fence. I know I HATE the not funding of the planned parenthood but Susan Koman took care of my medical things after I went to planed parenthood and paid for the breast exam. They took care of the sonogram, biopsy and found me a free place to go to get the results. It was nothing but I was scared.

The non funding is bs.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#38 Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#39 Old 02-03-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:

I just saw this on the news this morning and started crying. All this support and all these donations are amazing and give me hope that there are wonderful people out there. The way everyone's coming together to help save others is incredible.

ETA: Yes, I realize I am an overly emotional person.
#40 Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

Totally stealing that. Where'd it come from?
#41 Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Covered in Waves

Susan G. Komen is restoring their funding to Planned Parenthood.

"The soul's dominion? Each time we make a choice, we pay with courage to behold restless day and count it fair."

Amelia Earhart
#42 Old 02-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

Totally stealing that. Where'd it come from?

I stoled it from tumblr.
#43 Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

yay!
#44 Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

According to a post someone made on Facebook (questionable in and of itself), they said they are honoring current grants, but never said anything about grants in the future. I'm trying to find an article that talks about it and see what it actually says.

Edit: here's one: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/susa...sEnabled=false

Quote:
“We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.”

“We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants,” she added.

I don't know what it was like before, but looks like PP will still be able to apply for future grants.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#45 Old 02-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

~

#46 Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Edit: here's one: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/susa...sEnabled=false

I don't know what it was like before, but looks like PP will still be able to apply for future grants.

Quote:
“We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.”

“We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants,” she added. \t\t\t \t\t

Thank you for posting this. I was listening to the news and they said that PP had raised $3 Million due to this flap.

While this is a good outcome, I feel I cannot trust the Susan G. Komen organization for the future. I have purchased their branded products in the past, but probably will just avoid them in the future.

My mother died of breast cancer, and I literally watched her die. This is a very personal issue for me.
#47 Old 02-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

I feel very ambivalent about this. On the one hand I'm happy there was so much negative backlash that they are flip flopping, but on the other hand I'm not too pleased that the organization just seems to cave in to whoever is making the most noise and since they haven't promised to renew any grants in the future it seems like empty words at best.

#48 Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 AM

I think that the damage has been done in the eyes of many donors who may not have ever looked into what SGK really is or does with all of the funds that they raise. If we know anything, it's that people are content when they don't really know what's going on. Once truth comes out, it makes it harder to turn a blind eye. Not that some people won't, but I know some regular SGK donors that have already earmarked their funds for other places this year.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#49 Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

~

#50 Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Banned

Damage is done. "Pinkwashing" is already a mainstream term.
#51 Old 02-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Joe

Questions Linger About Komen's Commitment to Planned Parenthood

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...arenthood.html
#52 Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

~

#53 Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 AM

#54 Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

~

#55 Old 02-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

~

#56 Old 02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Glad to see someone is exposing them.

Talk about great timing! released 2/3/12
#57 Old 02-07-2012, 03:16 AM

Susan G. Komen for the Cure is a top supporter of breast cancer and cervical cancer care and research. It used to support Prepared Parenthood heavily, until now. Komen CEO Nancy Brinker is attempting to gloss over the fact that the organization is pulling funding for 16 of 19 Prepared Parenthood clinics by exclaiming that the media's depiction of situations is a gross mischaracterization. Read further: http://www.newsytype.com/14645-susan...ed-parenthood/

I guess we must not put too much politics when it comes on health issues.
#58 Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 AM

Thank you Whisper and Spang for those videos. Very touching and moving. There are some incredibly strong women out there.
#59 Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1HSebfRdfo&feature=related

haha I love Cenk sometimes. "I hate planned parenthood DERRRHHH"

Tam! RUGH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page