Ask your unpopular questions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-20-2011, 08:21 AM

Right. The interrogative version of the "state your unpopular statements" thread.

So, how can anybody who is not a robot be an atheist?

If you slept with a werewolf would it be bestiality?

How come your dog is part of your family, but that pig is your dinner?

Why is the AR movement so enamored of Peter Singer when he has, on a number of occasions, approved of animal exploitation?

Is it possible for capitalism as an economic system to meet everyone's needs and to not treat other humans and animals as objects, or means to ends, or is capitalism hopelessly morally defunct?

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

So, how can anybody who is not a robot be an atheist?

By seeing neither factual evidence for, nor a metaphysical place for, the supernatural.

Quote:
Why is the AR movement so enamored of Peter Singer when he has, on a number of occasions, approved of animal exploitation?

His views were still rather radical when he published them, and he's quite critical of the majority of animal exploitation. Still, he is not really for animal rights properly understood.

Quote:
Is it possible for capitalism as an economic system to meet everyone's needs and to not treat other humans and animals as objects, or means to ends, or is capitalism hopelessly morally defunct?

Yes. It's a mere skeletal frame within which people's values and preferences determine the outcome.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#3 Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:

If you slept with a werewolf would it be bestiality?

Obviously it's only bestiality if it's during the full moon and the werewolf is in its wolf form.

But, really, if you could successfully have sex with a werewolf WHILE he was turned, I'm not about to smack-talk you because you could clearly kick my ass.
#4 Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Why is a woman that i find completely alluring in every way hooked up with someone else? Life is not fair.
#5 Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Obviously it's only bestiality if it's during the full moon and the werewolf is in its wolf form.

But, really, if you could successfully have sex with a werewolf WHILE he was turned, I'm not about to smack-talk you because you could clearly kick my ass.

Is that what they do, kick asses? i figured they'd surely eat you or gore you or something.

My unpopular question: Do ethical werewolves just kick people's asses rather than kill them?

The Big Bad.
#6 Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

Is that what they do, kick asses? i figured they'd surely eat you or gore you or something.

My question: Who taught you to read, Uno? That person needs a talking-to.

Because I didn't say the werewolf could kick my ass. (He would eat my face off, I'm sure.) I CLEARLY said I would never talk smack about a person who could sleep WITH a werewolf in it's wolf form. I wouldn't get all up in that person's face and be like, "Yo, that's bestiality, ew!" because holy hell, that person was able to sleep with a WEREWOLF and live to tell the tale! That person is a basass.
#7 Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:

My unpopular question: Do ethical werewolves just kick people's asses rather than kill them?

Are the people bullies?
#8 Old 03-20-2011, 09:44 AM

unovegan, I really like your avatar.
#9 Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 AM

Why is it that the best guys are always gay?
#10 Old 03-20-2011, 10:29 AM
mlp
Banned

How can an intelligent, rational peson, believe in God, ghosts, the power of the zodiac, etc.?

Why do people feel the need to idolize celebrities?
#11 Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

How can an intelligent, rational peson, believe in God, ghosts, the power of the zodiac, etc.?

I don't get the celebrity idolization either, but I don't think it makes someone stupid to believe that there's a power or force greater than ourselves that we don't understand at work. I do actually believe in a higher power but I make no attempt to try to explain or understand the nature of that higher power. No way I possibly could.
#12 Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:

I have spent time with mediums so I have to disagree on that one. I don't know the explanation for it though. I would love to meet (one medium I have met three times) with someone like you so I could get a very sceptical viewpoint and see if you could explain how she does it.
#13 Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Ira
Banned

it is similar to mlp's, but stil a bit different:

how can an intelligent person, who knows about the history of Christianity (where the writings come from, how many years after jesus' death etc.) still believe in it?
#14 Old 03-20-2011, 10:45 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post

I don't get the celebrity idolization either, but I don't think it makes someone stupid to believe that there's a power or force greater than ourselves that we don't understand at work. I do actually believe in a higher power but I make no attempt to try to explain or understand the nature of that higher power. No way I possibly could.

I don't think it makes them stupid. I've known some very intelligent people who believe in God. I just don't understand it.
#15 Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

it is similar to mlp's, but stil a bit different:

how can an intelligent person, who knows about the history of Christianity (where the writings come from, how many years after jesus' death etc.) still believe in it?

Because there's a major difference between actual Christianity and the religions based around it. The spiritual and physical realms are two very different things.

The Big Bad.
#16 Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Are the people bullies?

The Big Bad.
#17 Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanocobalamin View Post

unovegan, I really like your avatar.

That's probably better for unpopular opinion thread actually. and thanks. I like being viewed as attractive.

The Big Bad.
#18 Old 03-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

My answer would be because rationality can't explain everything, we know this and, unless we are epistemological or materialist ontological reductionists, we seek the answers to those questions rationality can't explain.

I've wondered that about celebrities too.

What do people find so entertaining in gridiron football where play is stopped every ten seconds while a bunch of middle age men discuss something you can't hear with all the football players?

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#19 Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:

What do people find so entertaining in gridiron football where play is stopped every ten seconds while a bunch of middle age men discuss something you can't hear with all the football players?

It's a hobby. it gives people a conversation piece as well as a unifying theme. it can be applied to many different things.

The Big Bad.
#20 Old 03-20-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:

My answer would be because rationality can't explain everything, we know this and, unless we are epistemological or materialist ontological reductionists, we seek the answers to those questions rationality can't explain.

If we can't explain something, then doesn't that imply that we cannot be theists, because theism, as an answer to questions like "where does consciousness come from?" is an attempt to explain, something the possibility of which you just denied?

And perhaps instead of rationality, you intended to refer to a materialist or naturalist worldview. If you hold that theist beliefs are outside rationality -- outside any standards for coherent, consistent, reasonable etc. formation of belief -- then you've pretty much agreed that it makes no sense to believe in the supernatural.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#21 Old 03-20-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

If we can't explain something, then doesn't that imply that we cannot be theists, because theism, as an answer to questions like "where does consciousness come from?" is an attempt to explain, something the possibility of which you just denied?

And perhaps instead of rationality, you intended to refer to a materialist or naturalist worldview. If you hold that theist beliefs are outside rationality -- outside any standards for coherent, consistent, reasonable etc. formation of belief -- then you've pretty much agreed that it makes no sense to believe in the supernatural.

Theism and spirituality in general, uses rationality, but it is much more than just an attempt to explain phenomenon we cannot explain with recourse to the scientific method or rationality. It also gives meaning to life and the universe and is an avenue some people use to be in relation with perceived spiritual forces, energy, or life forces. And spirituality is felt on a more intuitive, emotional level.

Spirituality is not outside of reason as a whole; many aspects of spirituality, however, are. And we can also distinguish between reason the fruits of which can be confirmed (science) and reason the conclusions of which are unconformable. I feel mlp was talking of the former.

#22 Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 PM

Why do people think the only way to give meaning to life and the universe is to believe in a deity? Makes no sense.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#23 Old 03-20-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Why do people think the only way to give meaning to life and the universe is to believe in a deity? Makes no sense.

That's not an unpopular question on this site. let's not forget that people need something to believe in. most people can't handle the thought that this crap is it.

The Big Bad.
#24 Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Theism and spirituality in general, uses rationality, but it is much more than just an attempt to explain phenomenon we cannot explain with recourse to the scientific method or rationality. It also gives meaning to life and the universe and is an avenue some people use to be in relation with perceived spiritual forces, energy, or life forces. And spirituality is felt on a more intuitive, emotional level.

I guess you would need to specify what kind of phenomena lacking a scientific explanation you were originally referring to. The emergence of consciousness is the one that comes to my mind most easily. Life after death for example is not in need of explanation because there isn't evidence to believe in it. "Where did we come from" doesn't seem to be in need of a religious answer either.

So maybe I misread and you were exclusively referring to the idea that religion gives us meaning and value, something which science cannot. This is true, but I find that there are better ways to derive meaning and value than from faith. In fact, I think having a pre-determined framework and "natural order" hinders your ability to explore meaning and value.

And at any rate, I would not put meaning-giving under the heading of 'explaining'. In this sense, religion does not explain, it provides norms.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#25 Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:

good question. i don't think that is particularly unpopular.

Why are many humans so arrogant as to believe that they are the pinnacle of evolution, that their life or species is somehow special, and that the advent of humanity marks to achievement of vast primordial forces of creation?

#26 Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post

Why is it that the best guys are always gay?

Why are the gay guys always best?

Quote:

Oh, those are good ones.

Quote:

That's not an unpopular question on this site. let's not forget that people need something to believe in. most people can't handle the thought that this crap is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe9kKf7SHco

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#27 Old 03-20-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:

good question. i don't think that is particularly unpopular.

Why are many humans so arrogant as to believe that they are the pinnacle of evolution, that their life or species is somehow special, and that the advent of humanity marks to achievement of vast primordial forces of creation?

I didn't say humanity was the pinnacle of evolution, now did I? For all I know, we may eventually evolve into giant crabs and butterflies, like in The Time Machine. I just think religion can be and is used as a cop out. Oh, I can't explain it, must be God! Oh, that sucks for you, but God has a plan! Why not use some critical thinking, and you know, actually help others instead of claiming it's all part of some mysterious master plan?

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#28 Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 PM
That doggie in the window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Yes.

Why do some scientists hold that the only form of valid, observational evidence is that which can be reduced to mathematical equations, while dismissing all other forms of observation, simply because it cannot be digitized?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#29 Old 03-20-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I didn't say humanity was the pinnacle of evolution, now did I? For all I know, we may eventually evolve into giant crabs and butterflies, like in The Time Machine. I just think religion can be and is used as a cop out. Oh, I can't explain it, must be God! Oh, that sucks for you, but God has a plan! Why not use some critical thinking, and you know, actually help others instead of claiming it's all part of some mysterious master plan?

My question wasn't related to your question.

Religion doesn't preclude ethics or social activism.

I feel that many spiritual people are spiritual because they do not like the limited answers to questions of purpose and being that a strictly materialistic epistemology can give.

God is much more than the God of the gaps. Religion and science are complimentary discourses.

#30 Old 03-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I feel that many spiritual people are spiritual because they do not like the limited answers to questions of purpose and being that a strictly materialistic epistemology can give.

I think that's like saying "many Americans import pineapples from Iceland because they can't get them from Greenland".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page