Camping, Cooking, Caring too much, Cats and Classic Rock - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

#1 Old 12-22-2016, 02:59 AM
Bandit

Camping, Cooking, Caring too much, Cats and Classic Rock

OK so I'm not so much into screaming at people about worms and beetles, but I'm your lady for screaming non-stop about ecosystems and bees. I'm a real friend to environmental vegans, but only to animal rights activists who care about entire ecosystems and mammals, I'm not big on talking about the rights of compost worms. I see things in terms of their worth to the whole. I still care about kittens and poor people, but not much about wasps and sociopaths. I don't think all killing is irrational.

I need a blog to talk about how consideration for selfish people is a danger to all life on earth. I need to talk to people who acknowledge that the sixth mass extinction is happening. And post music.

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/12/...ell-holes.html

https://play.google.com/music/m/Tdg2...oncrete_Blonde
Werewolf Girl and BlueMts like this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

I feel you, the fact that Trump was even able to get elected has left me in shock.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 12-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
I feel you, the fact that Trump was even able to get elected has left me in shock.
Although U.S. unemployment has fallen to about 5% (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unempl..._United_States ), disruption is being caused by the exporting of manufacturing jobs. Although this is anecdotal, I've personally witnessed 3 factory closures, caused by company decisions to perform manufacturing in Mexico, China, or in low-cost regions of the United States.

I am extremely happy for people in China. Their economic development has been accompanied by improvements in human rights (though they still have quite a ways to go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_China ). My wife's family in China has seen incredible changes during the past 50 years. Many years ago, my wife's parents were both political prisoners during the oppressive years of the Chinese Cultural Revolution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution . My wife and her siblings grew up in poverty. Now, however, her family in China is doing very well, with a good standard of living. Further economic improvement is needed.

For me, things have been rough since 2012. Prior to that year, I was employed for over 15 years by the same company. Since then, I've had to jump from job to job, as one company after another has declared bankruptcy, or moved their operations out of state. And I'm a university-degreed person, with a successful career and many options! The situation has been much worse for people with less education and fewer options.

In California, I've also witnessed changes in worker ethnicity ratios - changes that are objectionable to some people (judging by the angry comments on Yahoo News). At my current job, there are very few whites. On my team, nearly everyone was born outside of the United States. Do I morally object to this? No; my family are immigrants also. Like many whites of non-English, non-Spanish European descent, my family immigrated into the United States around 1900. As Italians and Germans, they were the hated "Wop" and "Kraut" immigrants of early 20th century America.

2/3rds of non-university-degreed whites voted for Trump: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...der-education/ . Even though Hillary Clinton's platform proposed an aggressive job-creation program, plus tax penalties for employers that moved their manufacturing overseas ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...illary_Clinton ), I speculate that Trump voters didn't believe this would be sufficient, or effective. People want quick, powerful change, and Trump convinced them that he could do it.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 12-24-2016 at 01:53 PM.

#4 Old 12-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Although U.S. unemployment has fallen to about 5% (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unempl..._United_States ), disruption is being caused by the exporting of manufacturing jobs. Although this is anecdotal, I've personally witnessed 3 factory closures, caused by company decisions to perform manufacturing in Mexico, China, or in low-cost regions of the United States.

I am extremely happy for people in China. Their economic development has been accompanied by improvements in human rights (though they still have quite a ways to go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_China ). My wife's family in China has seen incredible changes during the past 50 years. Many years ago, my wife's parents were both political prisoners during the oppressive years of the Chinese Cultural Revolution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution . My wife and her siblings grew up in poverty. Now, however, her family in China is doing very well, with a good standard of living. Further economic improvement is needed.

For me, things have been rough since 2012. Prior to that year, I was employed for over 15 years by the same company. Since then, I've had to jump from job to job, as one company after another has declared bankruptcy, or moved their operations out of state. And I'm a university-degreed person, with a successful career and many options! The situation has been much worse for people with less education and fewer options.

In California, I've also witnessed changes in worker ethnicity ratios - changes that are objectionable to some people (judging by the angry comments on Yahoo News). At my current job, there are very few whites. On my team, nearly everyone was born outside of the United States. Do I morally object to this? No; my family are immigrants also. Like many whites of non-English, non-Spanish European descent, my family immigrated into the United States around 1900. As Italians and Germans, they were the hated "Wop" and "Kraut" immigrants of early 20th century America.

2/3rds of non-university-degreed whites voted for Trump: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...der-education/ . Even though Hillary Clinton's platform proposed an aggressive job-creation program, plus tax penalties for employers that moved their manufacturing overseas ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...illary_Clinton ), I speculate that Trump voters didn't believe this would be sufficient, or effective. People want quick, powerful change, and Trump convinced them that he could do it.
Mmm....I think media brainwashing of the poorly educated is a huge part of the problem. As you pointed out, many never went to college and even more didnt finish high school. Fox News was sued about a decade ago for lying blatantly, and the Supreme Court ruled that they could not be shut down or fined considerably for it. Since then, as the Internet has grown, ****rags like Brietbart have popped up and these people actually don't have the critical thinking skills or education to discern a real news source from a fake one. Even though I agree with you about Clinton (I mean Obama was pushing TPP and Clinton is guilty of bad trade deals) and can see the problem with manufacturing, most of these people are utterly out of touch with reality, and it's got as much to do with corporate propaganda and yellow journalism as perceptions of working class job availability.

As China so astutely pointed out, American people are dumb, those jobs are just going to be filled more and more with automation, under Trump, to benefit big business CEOs. The person who he put in charge of labor is someone who believes in cutting jobs, hours and wages to keep his own corporation "competitive."

This is an outrage. Something is deeply wrong with American culture as a whole. Even right wing leaders who disagree with or disapprove of Trump didn't take a stand against him in the Electoral College, they're cowards who care more about losing their wealth or power than doing what they know is right - with a few exceptions, of course there are always exceptions.

HillaryClinton messed up. She should have chosen either Sanders or Warren as her VP, and publicly distanced herself from Debbie Wasserman Shultz, in order to get all of those people who completely refused to vote to vote for her. She should have been more humble and not referred to a large cross section of people as "deplorables"...that being said....what she has done wrong paled in comparison to Trumps lack of wisdom, character, intellect, and sanity, and I find it very difficult to keep justifying his continued ascent to power, given what even many conservatives know and understand, and oh my god his ties with Putin...whatever mistakes the great unwashed masses have unwittingly made by trusting this buffoon, is completely eclipsed by what the knowledgeable and powerful ARE NOT DOING NOW, to remove him from his position.
BlueMts likes this.

Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 12-26-2016, 08:28 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Yes. I think I was literally in shock the next day. Some people were crying or binge eating, but at that point I actually felt a sense of non-reality, like a fugue dream state or the way it feels when a close loved one dies.

Then I have cycled through anger and fear and sadness repeatedly and have not coped especially well since my typical response is fight rather than flight. In fact anyone who I knew who was downplaying it or avoiding it entirely, just pissed me off more, just an enormous amount of anger at a ridiculous number of people.

I felt better after attending a protest, but then started crying thinking about all of the children, teens and minorities who were feeling truly helpless and afraid on a more intimate rather than abstract level.

I have had to force myself to do things like go to yoga, church services, and avoid social media like Facebook so that I'm not literally making myself sick.

I have to talk about it somewhere though.

I'm starting to come to grips with the idea that I should not allow this person to upset me so much and that there are lots of good people in the world who will do amazing things to counteract this. But as an environmental science major, seeing climate scientists copy information onto private servers for fear of it being erased horrified me on an even more personal level. I have taken to remembering all the people globally who are enduring war and other grave situations to try to maintain perspective.

I do think I should spend more time reading a novel or watching a movie, but on the other hand, this is no time for hiding, either.

I just want to stop feeling angry.

Ingrid Newkirk
#6 Old 12-28-2016, 12:15 AM
Bandit

Off of the politics, but annoyed with people on social media for taking celeb deaths personally. ..what about "all of these famous people dying at 50 or 60 from heart attacks were coke fiends in the 80s" don't you get? Vegan Prince MAY have outlived them, had he stopped popping pain killers in the meantime. People who live fast die young. I'm messed up enough about the election to tolerate 20 Facebook "friends" imagining Carrie Fishers death was about them personally.

I think I have a chronic hatred of the self absorbed culture of America. I need healing, I know my anger solves nothing, but good grief I find no joy in a bunch of normals with cultural narcissistic features imagining George Michael died because 2016 is evil and wants to ruin their holiday season.

I need to check myself into a monestary, or something. I can tolerate my friends not being vegan, I can't tolerate them taking 80s celebrities heart attacks personally, just because Trump was elected. Is this what they mean about rich white people making everything about themselves?
Riuma and BlueMts like this.

Ingrid Newkirk
#7 Old 12-28-2016, 02:34 AM
Bandit

Even without the religious lyrics, All You Zombies in musical feel and the simple chorus is probably more timely for our political climate than it was in the 80s.

Ingrid Newkirk
#8 Old 01-22-2017, 12:36 PM
Bandit

I don't know if I have a bad cold or a mild flu but I have been drinking orange juice like a fiend going on the fourth day now and ate a jalapeño sandwich with vegan cheese for the prior three. I just ate some garlicky kale hummus toast with crushed red pepper, and a side of veggie yakasoba noodles. I plan to eat more garlic kale toast later and start drinking Emergen-C since I'm now out of orange juice.

I always try to avoid taking antibiotics, but I know sometimes it can't really be avoided.

It likely didn't help that I had a test the first day I started feeling symptoms, then got caught in the rain and had to wear wet clothes for two hours the second. I tried sleeping a lot but yesterday I wasn't going to miss participating in the Womens March unless I was literally dying. I'm glad I went. I cant believe this clown already erased Climate Change and Civil Rights from the White House Web site. I'm just glad I am in California and have chosen to devote my life's work to the environment.

Today I'm resting all day. No vegan drama or anything.

Ingrid Newkirk
#9 Old 01-23-2017, 10:30 PM
Bandit

Fortunately my home remedies seem to be working and I feel much better than yesterday. This morning at breakfast, while having my third piece of garlic kale hummus toast with crushed red pepper in 24 hours, I inhaled a crushed red pepper and a fountain of tears and snot ran out of my head for at least five minutes, and it must have knocked the worst of it all loose, because for the rest of the day I have had much milder symptoms. Yay.

Also, I think going to the women's March made me preoccupied with politics again, so I became angry and cranky, so I'm trying to avoid that again.

I actually had a pleasant meal this evening, with a hot cup of tea and lemon, while reading a mystery novel, and it did improve my mood.

Ingrid Newkirk
#10 Old 02-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Bandit

First Homemade Seitan Cutlets to Kick Off Spring Semester

I'm excited, I'm now steaming my very first seitan, I made from combining two recipes, to make seitan country fried cutlets, with vegan mushroom gravy (the latter is a favorite of mine) to share with my vegetarian roommates, along side broccoli and mashed potatoes!

Today is also the first day of the Spring semester. I've ended up in:

Advanced Biology w/lab
Oceanography Lab (had Ocean lecture last semester)
Physical Geography
Introduction to Solar Paneling
Rock Climbing for Fitness

It sounds like a lot (well I am a full time student) but Geography will be a piece of cake, and Oceanography lab will be fair to middling, since I already completed the lecture and enjoyed it. Solar Paneling is a hands-on tech class, so will be a break from academia, but will provide me with potential practical job skills. There's a big movement for females in solar via women in STEM, and I like that I would have solar paneling as a skill to fall back on from my Environmental Science degree. Finally, I think advanced Biology might be my bear. I could beat someone to death with my Biology text book, that's how heavy it is, and my professor has already shown signs of insanity by asking us to be responsible for hundreds of pages of lecture outlines, which she says is our choice to make notes on, upon a tablet or laptop ...or print out??? She must be 182, no one in science in California could actually suggest wasting this much paper!

Rock climbing is my one credit fitness class, like yoga last semester. I have it the same days as bio, and I'm probably going to need it to blow off steam.

Also, I disowned one of my cousins on FB for voting for Trump, I'm still not coping well there, but I'm glad I have this journal as an alternative to FB and Twitter.

Ingrid Newkirk
#11 Old 02-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Bandit

My Geography and Oceanography lab professors are awesome people. Geography does everything on line in order to save paper, and has a very pleasant personality. Oceanography lab actually allows people to choose not to come into labs, and instead do approved field trips and write ups to make up the points.

Rock climbing seems fun, and solar paneling is only one day per week.

It's all for the best, since my Biology professor is a servant of the devil. Her text book was my most expensive one, she forced us to buy a lab manual she wrote, expects us to follow outlines either on a tablet or laptop while she lectures (or print out a zillion pages), and her instructions for keeping a lab notebook include using compasses and rulers for neatness, and writing on only one side of the paper. After I finish the semester I'm going to report her to administration for paper waste, but I need this class to transfer. There's no way out of it.

At least my other classes don't seem too difficult and I am finished with statistics, which I had also desperately needed to transfer and was a very demanding class.

Ingrid Newkirk
#12 Old 02-18-2017, 11:24 PM
Bandit

Things you understand between 30-35 years old, in 2017:

"Stay the Night" by Chicago - better band.

"Stay the Night" by Benjamin Orr - better song

"Halloween" by John Carpenter - better idea

"Halloween" by Rob Zombie - better movie

"Sin City" and "Black Dahlia" - more detailed

"Abattoir" - more accurate

"Born to Die" - more popular appeal

"Ultraviolence" - better album

"Clueless" - everyone knows it

"Clue" - cult classic

"Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" - you're deep

"Midnight in Paris" - you're old

Ingrid Newkirk
#13 Old 02-19-2017, 12:10 AM
Bandit

Women who are about 35 Explain why "Electric Blue" and "Valerie" by Steve Winwood, reach them, when you don't:

Romance. These nerds in the 80s, were so knightly. We saw it shining in their eyes. Their mullet was for love alone, you tool.

No one cares about your 401k. Secretly, we hate that you are fat.

Ingrid Newkirk
#14 Old 02-19-2017, 12:29 AM
Bandit

If you can prove, men still say this, I'll listen.

The problem is that you are faced, with a generation of 12-13 year olds, who would have agreed to this. And a generation of 30 year olds, who wondered where it went.

This is the problem. Girls of the 80s and early 90s expected romance. .. and got solicitation for prostitution instead of marriage in return.

Ingrid Newkirk
#15 Old 02-19-2017, 12:39 AM
Bandit

"If a boy had a chance, a chance with someone like you..."

Vs.

"Big booty hoe, hot on top"

You would start to understand why feminists, so pissed off.

We grew up expecting "Daniel" by Bat for Lashes, and got Debbie Does Dallas.

Ingrid Newkirk
#16 Old 02-19-2017, 12:55 AM
Bandit

p.s. if you have a need to nap, quit your job and go live in the country and farm. I'm so sick of big pharma making being human look like a disease.

Ingrid Newkirk
#17 Old 02-19-2017, 01:09 AM
Bandit

"Daniel" by Bat for Lashes, is THE best song that ever existed about girls born circa 1980 "dreaming..of home " but by the way our sexual fantasies, about Karate Kid 1984, and literally everything evil which ever happened after.

There's even some weird Disney Mickey Mouse ****, excused by the video, I mean what's with the ballloons, Jack Tripper?

I will always love that she says, "I dream of home."

Ingrid Newkirk
#18 Old 02-19-2017, 01:13 AM
Bandit

"Every Breath You Take" by the Police.

Ingrid Newkirk
#19 Old 02-19-2017, 04:27 AM
person

I love this thread. Love the opening post. Love the whole thing. Most entertaining thing here.

I won't comment on other peoples political situation and I am not a pop/rock freak (love classical) so I doubt I will be contributing -unless you talk about cats- but hope I will be reading more.
Thalassa likes this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#20 Old 02-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMts View Post
I love this thread. Love the opening post. Love the whole thing. Most entertaining thing here.

I won't comment on other peoples political situation and I am not a pop/rock freak (love classical) so I doubt I will be contributing -unless you talk about cats- but hope I will be reading more.
Ha ha thanks! I'm glad someone finds my rambling entertaining. And I probably will talk about cats sometimes. I help take care of a number of cats.

Ingrid Newkirk
#21 Old 02-24-2017, 06:48 PM
Bandit

Ingrid Newkirk
#22 Old 02-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Bandit

Ingrid Newkirk
#23 Old 02-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Bandit

Ladies, never fear the dominant man. Fear the submissive, scared man who doesn't know his place in the hierchy. That's the man who harms you. That's the one who says "when did your problem become my problem," because he's weak, ineffectual and confused. The most selfish hypocrite is actually a submissive.

Donald Trump is a submissive. It's why he's so blathering and stupid and mean, and is attracted to magazine cut out Eastern European women who dismiss him coldly.

I mean look at Melania not living in the White House. How much better to say "you don't impress me, tool."

BlueMts likes this.

Ingrid Newkirk
#24 Old 02-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Bandit

I loved this song as a teenager. I loved Zelda Fitzgerald and Flannery O' Connor the first go round in college. I eternally love John Kennedy Toole as my forever Southern hero, because he romantically died. I wish Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil had a vegetarian sub-topic, because then it would be my perfect Southern concept.

Maybe the world needs a vegan Southern Gothic writer. Maybe that person is me!

Maybe it was Memphis.

Ingrid Newkirk
#25 Old 02-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Bandit

I love old people just like I love old cats. I have come to the conclusion that you can't sue old cats.

Ingrid Newkirk
#26 Old 02-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Bandit

Is romanticism of old people a Southern thing, opposing Hollywood youth culture?

Is this the source of this? And Driving Miss Daisy? And Gone With the Wind? That Lana Del Rey fans were taught to value old people? Is that why she has a lot of young Mexican fans? Is this what makes ANYBODY love Fried Green Tomatoes (my favorite movie in HIGH SCHOOL, as if, this predicted my life).

I rode past Hollywood High school today. It's an ancient place. Because it is a new city makes no difference, all cities were new once. Hollywood High School makes me feel how my grandfather's older sister once made me feel. You don't have to be drunk or crazy. Modern people are *******s.

The only thing we have got, is veganism.

Ingrid Newkirk
#27 Old 02-24-2017, 08:54 PM
Bandit

Beck is where you should have been.

As an intrusive ISFP, Beck has always given me the intrinsic INFP feeling "we should have known. "

The problem I often take with INFP, is they think they know where we MIGHT have been.

With an ideal population, forthwith.

Ingrid Newkirk
#28 Old 02-27-2017, 08:15 PM
Bandit

Well by the looks of my member blog, I'll be giving up wine for Lent, especially on the traditional Fridays.

I'm having trouble this semester because I started out tired. In January I had a flu for two weeks and finished up the winter semester. Even though this put me ahead in terms of transfer classes, it meant I began Spring semester a little confused and half-exhausted. I'm in the beginning of the fourth week of Spring semester, and tried to spend the last week catching up on rest and went out to a state park and lead a hike on the weekend, but I feel ill-prepared for my first biology exam, my most demanding class.

The rest of my classes are fine once I show up, take notes, look over my chapter and notes, etc. Biology is a lot more demanding. I'm honestly hoping that the A-hound student in me is overreacting and that I'll make a B or C on my first test at absolute worst. I just don't feel focused and up to par. How could I be?

I'm one of those people who need a considerable amount of time to do things like sleep and reset. I'm not a three hour a night person, if I do that, it's like for one day max.

I actually think I'm fine on my Harvey Weinberg problems because of taking statistics. It's just my professor is a relatively demanding and really anal-retentive person who wants word-for-word definitions. I understand everything conceptually.

The devil is in the details.

Ingrid Newkirk
#29 Old 03-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Bandit

So this month's challenge is to find a roommate in northern California. I am a non-traditionally aged college student who never lived on campus before who is looking to live on a campus for at least one year to take the hassle out of moving up north, while focusing on my studies.

So my ideal roommate is vegan and older, but I'll settle for vegetarian and not a teenager.

I don't think it will be awful, because they match our profiles to 70% +, and I emailed housing to let them know veg*ns are my top priority as matched interest/lifestyle. I can seek my own roommate and if that is fruitless then they try to coordinate you with a reasonably compatible person of the same gender.

They have limited apartments for upper classmen who have "extreme food restrictions." The apartments look beautiful too. However, I wonder what the reality will be. So I also have opened up to the possibility of living with lacto-ovo vegetarians who actually have similar personality or interests.

Ingrid Newkirk
#30 Old 03-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Bandit

7-8 Years ago, I apparently erased all photos of myself with my ex, but it means I deleted a vast part of my twenties. I still have three gorgeous photos of myself in my 20s, gosh I was hot, but I literally deleted things on MySpace that reminded me of him. Those of you who aren't brain dead know MySpace doesn't function well anymore. I actually have older photos of myself on Facebook, because Facebook. And my mom holds records of senior portraits and other ridiculous photos. But a few really good pictures of me in my twenties are missing, just because I was mad at my ex.

I'm hoping they're in a Photobucket, somewhere. It seemed like a good idea to delete them...at the time. LESSON LEARNED.

It's not enough to hold a love of Giallo, in my head, I need an album, of my life.

I too spontaneously throw things away. I'm glad my mom kept certain items from my twenties for me. It made my grandfather crazy, now I know why. I'm still mad at my ex for keeping some of my photos.

The Love Witch reminds me of my time with him.
BlueMts likes this.

Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page