• 1 Post By Purp
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By Capstan
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By mrgrimm

#1 Old 09-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Sharing My Canoe Camping Adventure!

I got back yesterday from a week long canoe camping adventure in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness of northern Minnesota and I thought I would share my photos and story with my fellow Veggieboard friends! I hope you enjoy!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/elainevv/ys5g8B

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p05h7keo8e...shoe.docx?dl=0
Capstan, Purp and leedsveg like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Great photos and gorgeous area. Thanks for sharing, @Naturebound .

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 09-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

The pictures are absolutely breathtaking! I esp. loved all the varieties of mushrooms, and how you (or Greg?) framed the shots. What is it that you're holding that's hanging from your outstreched arm? I really love that one.

I'll save reading your journal for tomorrow. Look forward to that!

Seems like such a wonderful time-- I hope you enjoyed it as much as it looks!

Thanks for sharing
Purp and Naturebound like this.

#4 Old 09-20-2015, 07:56 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Looks awesome, @Naturebound . I didn't know you had a dog!
Purp and Naturebound like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#5 Old 09-21-2015, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
The pictures are absolutely breathtaking! I esp. loved all the varieties of mushrooms, and how you (or Greg?) framed the shots. What is it that you're holding that's hanging from your outstreched arm? I really love that one.

I'll save reading your journal for tomorrow. Look forward to that!

Seems like such a wonderful time-- I hope you enjoyed it as much as it looks!

Thanks for sharing
Thanks silva! The object I am holding is a piece of birch bark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 09-21-2015, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Looks awesome, @Naturebound . I didn't know you had a dog!
Yup, that's our Sable. She is almost 11 years old now. She is really more of my husband's dog than mine and the two of them are inseparable, but I very much love Sable and she likes me too. She is extremely smart, loyal, mischievous, inquisitive, friendly, and cute. We acquired her from a local humane society when she was 10 weeks old. She had been left at their door in a box with her brother and sister. Sable also LOVES the canoe and it took very little training to get her to sit properly in it. In fact, if she is off center, I can say "Sable move over" and she will scoot over ever so slightly without actually standing up and moving, as if she understands.
Capstan and LedBoots like this.

#7 Old 09-21-2015, 03:44 AM
Beginner

Awesome! We have wanted to take our canoe on something similar to what you did, but so far have only done some day paddles. Nice eagle sighting!
#8 Old 09-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrimm View Post
Awesome! We have wanted to take our canoe on something similar to what you did, but so far have only done some day paddles. Nice eagle sighting!
Thanks! What kind of canoe do you have if I may ask? Canoe camping is great in that you can really get away from civilization but it does take a lot of planning and preparation if you do it all yourself. There are outfitters that can help with planning, though I don't know of any that provide vegan food or even all vegetarian.

A funny story. We traded our smaller food barrel for a larger one so we could fit our food and Sable's in one pack for a six day trip. That food barrel weighed over 50 lbs fully loaded and was ridiculously heavy! While we were out there, six full grown big men paddled by in a group of canoes and they had one food barrel exactly like ours. We asked if that food barrel was for all six of them and they said yes, and they were staying out for six days like us! lol. We still had over 1/3 of our pack full of food when we left. I brought WAY too much food lol.

#9 Old 09-22-2015, 03:47 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Thanks! What kind of canoe do you have if I may ask? Canoe camping is great in that you can really get away from civilization but it does take a lot of planning and preparation if you do it all yourself. There are outfitters that can help with planning, though I don't know of any that provide vegan food or even all vegetarian.

A funny story. We traded our smaller food barrel for a larger one so we could fit our food and Sable's in one pack for a six day trip. That food barrel weighed over 50 lbs fully loaded and was ridiculously heavy! While we were out there, six full grown big men paddled by in a group of canoes and they had one food barrel exactly like ours. We asked if that food barrel was for all six of them and they said yes, and they were staying out for six days like us! lol. We still had over 1/3 of our pack full of food when we left. I brought WAY too much food lol.
We have an Old Town 17'4, Discovery model I believe. It's an older model, and seems they only make the 16'9 these days. Got it for $300 bucks several years ago from Craigslist. All 4 of us pile in, and have even taken two dogs on top of that for a day trip across a large lake!

Haha, I hear ya on the over-preparing. It's easy to go light if just doing a day or two, but WOW six days! I guess though having the canoe allows for a little excess to easily be overlooked...Imagine if you had to carry all that stuff on your back, while hiking a trail, lol!

Maybe that's how you should pack next time...For example, if you couldn't carry it all on foot, then leave it behind! Not sure if the trip would be as comfortable though
Naturebound likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page