New blog about veganism and anime - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 AM

I notice that there's actually a good number of people on this forum that are into anime. 4everaspirit has also suggested creating vegan brochures to give out at anime conventions.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of discussion about anime in relation of vegetarianism, veganism, or even animal rights. I think there's definitely merit in starting one.

So, I'd like to announce my new project, Veganime! (Pronounced vee-guh-ni-may)

My 'what is this I don't even' post explains most of my motivations behind the blog (or rather, the strategy through which I will be recruiting converts :shifty:). Anyway, when it comes to the tone of my blog, I want it to reflect the humility that I see in anime. There are no easy solutions, and I'm not going to pretend that veganism is one. I want this blog to be uncertain and self-conscious, but thought-provoking at the same time. I want it to be a personal exploration of the connection that I make between my passion for animal rights and my passion for anime.

Most posts will be spoiler-ific, but my first one isn't.

To-cover list:

Steins;Gate

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water

5 Centimetres Per Second

Princess Mononoke

And many more!

Dave in MPLS likes this.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post

I notice that there's actually a good number of people on this forum that are into anime. 4everaspirit has also suggested creating vegan brochures to give out at anime conventions.

So, I'd like to announce my new project, Veganime! (Pronounced vee-guh-ni-may)

What a cool idea! It looks good so far - and thanks for linking to VB

I really like 4ever's idea about the brochure too. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+

* Find me:
+
+
#3 Old 09-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Riot Nrrrd

In Evangelion when Rei reveals that she doesn't eat meat, Shinji got Rei some miso soup.

So there's a recipe idea- maybe for a collection of anime-themed recipes - Rei's Miso Soup

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

#4 Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

I can't remember where the scene is exactly - either Evangelion 1.0, Evangelion 2.2, or EOE - but there is a scene where the Eva pilots are ea5ting, but Rei isn't. Shinji asks her why, and she tells him she doesn't eat meat. (Asuka reacts like many meat eaters to this. Shinji got Rei some miso soup.)

So there's a recipe idea- maybe for a collection of anime-themed recipes - Rei's Miso Soup.

That's Evangelion 2.2. Anno got a little bolder, and went from having Rei say that she doesn't like meat in NGE to having her say that she doesn't eat meat in 2.2. That pretty much confirms her vegetarianism!

Haha, the recipe is a cool idea! It'd be more fitting as an anniversary sorta thing, or as a tie-in to the release of the final movie of Rebuild (though I'm not too impressed with 3.0). I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

Check out my blog,
#5 Old 09-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Ack, cross post!

I never even noticed the reference to eating meat when I watched the original Evangelion series. Interesting.

#6 Old 09-22-2013, 03:32 AM

2nd post is up! I'm afraid it's still about Evangelion.

Check out my blog,
#7 Old 09-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Impeach the psychopath

Thank you, Yingchen. I'm the proverbial old dog, who can't learn any new tricks. I know nothing of anime. I know the loony-toons, which are "twuwy scwewy." I must look into this, to learn what I've been missing. Evangelion is a good one, you say?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#8 Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Oh yay I'm mentioned in here haha. ^_^

No really, Yingchen, this is awesome and I'm glad you are taking it upon yourself to merge the two. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. So far....I haven't really even tried to start with brochure making, school work and extra activities are piling up, but I may still.....kinda unsure how I would start....., but if you want to explore around with that too, feel free to. They would seriously be awesome for anime conventions. I really like your eloquent writing style in the blog!!! smiley.gif Super awesome.

I really hope you can gain a following with this smiley.gif I'll share this with some of my friends that are anime fans. They all know I'm into animal rights but they might need to get exposed to similarities b/w the moral messages in anime and animal rights for things to sink in haha

Okay, finished getting the word out to my anime friends o.o They're all so quiet.....

Can't wait to see where you go with this smiley.gif

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#9 Old 09-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
 Evangelion is a good one, you say?

It'll blow your mind.

I'd be interested in your reaction to it as someone unfamiliar with anime. A lot of it works as meta-commentary on anime and anime fans. You'd be approaching it "fresh", being unfamiliar with these.

#10 Old 09-23-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Oh yay I'm mentioned in here haha. ^_^

No really, Yingchen, this is awesome and I'm glad you are taking it upon yourself to merge the two. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. So far....I haven't really even tried to start with brochure making, school work and extra activities are piling up, but I may still.....kinda unsure how I would start....., but if you want to explore around with that too, feel free to. They would seriously be awesome for anime conventions. I really like your eloquent writing style in the blog!!! smiley.gif Super awesome.

I really hope you can gain a following with this smiley.gif I'll share this with some of my friends that are anime fans. They all know I'm into animal rights but they might need to get exposed to similarities b/w the moral messages in anime and animal rights for things to sink in haha

Okay, finished getting the word out to my anime friends o.o They're all so quiet.....

Can't wait to see where you go with this smiley.gif

Haha, it's still in a nascent stage, so I don't feel like it's going to have much of an impact on the non-veg community yet. I should try to get at least 10+ posts up before really sharing it with them.

For now, I'm more interested in getting feedback from the veg community of anime fans. If you guys have anything to say, please do comment on the blog! I'd love to have a discussion going.

Also, with regards to the brochure, I'm still trying to think of a succinct way to tie animal rights to anime at large. My blog does anime-specific comparisons, so individual posts won't be generic enough to target the audience as a whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

It'll blow your mind.

I'd be interested in your reaction to it as someone unfamiliar with anime. A lot of it works as meta-commentary on anime and anime fans. You'd be approaching it "fresh", being unfamiliar with these.

I actually feel that Evangelion is difficult to appreciate if you don't know what its trying to achieve. I wouldn't really recommend it to someone who isn't already familiar with anime. But who knows...

Check out my blog,
#11 Old 09-27-2013, 03:06 AM

3rd post is up, this time about Steins;Gate.

Already have drafts for two more posts underway, entitled '5 Centimeters per Second and Idealism' and 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica and the Human Factory Farm'.

Check out my blog,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page