Another Attempt at Promoting my Unique, Unique Blog - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-02-2013, 07:25 PM

No, I don't think my blog is all that unique @_@ I haven't seen anything like it, but I'm not about to become all arrogant and boastful. I'm really sorry if you're put off by what I'm doing, and I shall do a kowtow to beg for your forgiveness (I AM Chinese btw, and evidently I don't eat dogs)

I just figured that I now have a far better way to catch your interest, and to convince you that my blog is worth your time.

I won't lie, I'm really desperate for feedback. This blog takes a HUGE amount of effort to maintain. A single post can easily take 10 hours to write, and I foresee myself putting a lot of effort into this. I want to know what it's worth the investment, and that people are interested in reading what I have to offer, otherwise I'm just wasting my time.

So yeah, instead of waiting for the actual content to come, I've created two pages on my blog describing what I WANT to do with it.

Here they are:

About this Blog

I feel that a lot of literature and philosophy on animal rights is primarily aimed at non-vegetarians, with the intention of persuading them to give up meat. That’s fine and all, but becoming vegetarian (or even vegan) is not an end-all be-all to the learning journey. Animal rights is a very complex issue. Unfortunately, we get so caught up in the debate with non-vegetarians that most of us don’t get a chance to go further than that. We’re stuck repeating the same old arguments that they will never listen to, and listening to the same old rebuttals that they never get tired of using. When I read Peter Singer’s Animal Liberation, written in 1975, I was impressed by how modern all the arguments seemed. It’s says good things about the book, but it also says bad things about our body of vegetarian knowledge and philosophy: we’ve been intellectually stunted for the past 40 years.

thinkingvegetarian.wordpress.com is a blog for vegans, vegetarians, flexitarians, or anyone with an interest in animal rights. That’s my target audience. The assumption I am making is that you already care about animals, enough to believe that our present consumption of animal flesh is cruel and completely unjustified. If you’re still not convinced of that, then you’re wasting your time here. You won’t find what I say helpful.

So, instead of distracting myself with the general animal rights debate, I’m using this as an opportunity to delve even further. Even if you’re vegetarian/vegan, you’ll find that there’s still plenty of things to disagree about, and plenty of controversial issues. It’s a good idea to try to downplay our differences in front of non-vegetarians, but here I encourage them to be fully spelt out. You most likely won’t agree with everything I say, but that’s alright.

This blog will also have a heavy emphasis on philosophy. I like to take existing philosophical theories about humans and give them an animal rights spin, to see what happens when we begin to give considerations to both humans and animals.

I’m open to discussing almost anything, and if there are any issues that you want me to explore, do drop me an email!

Otherwise, I hope this blog will contribute towards making your vegetarianism/veganism more meaningful.

And...

Upcoming Posts

Wondering if it’s worth your time to hang around? Wondering if there’s enough things for me to talk about what haven’t already been explored to death?

Here, I list the issues that I’m interested in exploring!

A Critical Assessment of Vegetarianism

- Why do some vegetarians resist veganism so much?

- Is vegetarianism outdated, outgrown, and no longer beneficial to the Animal Rights movement?

- Why thinkingvegetarian.com, not thinkingvegan.com?

Animals and the Social Contract

- What freedoms are we allowed to take from animals in exchange for offering them our protection?

- How do we know what animals want if they cannot articulate their needs like we do?

Animal Rights and Intolerance

- If veg*ns are such compassionate people, why does PETA have such a horrible track record of respecting women’s rights?

- How can we promote the veg*n cause without becoming intolerant of other races/religions/cultures?

The Animal Liberation Front

- Can an line be drawn between physically harming humans and merely harming them through corporate damages? Does it make objective sense for the line to be drawn there?

- How much suffering are we allowed to inflict on humans to justify the animals we save?

Lab Testing

- Is it veg*n to take medicine that was achieved off the suffering of animals? What if we’re very sick, and no other alternatives exist?

- Can the benefits of medicine ever justify the suffering inflicted on animals?

What if plants suffer?

- What does it mean to know that a living entity is incapable of suffering? Can we ever know something like that?

- If a living entity cannot suffer, does this mean that we can do whatever we want with it?

- What is going to happen to us if we discover scientific proof that plants suffer?

Animal Rights and Humour

- How do we best deal with the tendency of non-vegetarians to employ humour as a defense mechanism?

- Should we allow them to joke about animal rights, or even joke alongside them, in the same way a free and tolerant culture approaches racism and sexism?

The Power of Words

- What are some of the most ideologically-laden words in the non-vegetarian’s dictionary that we should avoid using?

- Is it possible to invent a non-discriminatory term that refers to nonhuman animals?

- Is the existence of mock meats beneficial to the veg*n cause?

Anthropomorphism

- Are we in danger of assigning human qualities to animals that they don’t actually have?

- Is the anthropomorphism of animals in popular culture – giving them human intelligence and having them speak human language – detrimental to the Animal Rights movement?

- How should we go about putting ourselves in the shoes of animals?

The Problem of Evil

- If God exists, does he care about animals?

- Would a good God ever allow a world where so many animals suffer needlessly?

Vegansexuality

- Is vegansexuality beneficial to the image of the Animal Rights movement?

- Is vegansexuality still about compassion to animals, 0r is it about human elitism?

Purity vs Pragmatism

- Is it alright to accept food from friends if we can’t be 100% sure that it is veg*n, especially if it’s already been prepared?

- Does personal purity actually affect the amount of suffering that is inflicted on animals in any way?

- Is purity about a principled belief in animal non-violence, or is it an assertion of human elitism?

You’ll find that most of these issues are still very, very controversial, and they are not exactly topics that we’re comfortable discussing. I wouldn’t be surprised if you told me that many of these prompts sound like kind of things non-vegetarians say to JUST make life difficult for us.

However, many of them are legitimate concerns. They are worth taking seriously. When we involve non-vegetarians, these people often refuse to admit that they are not genuinely interested in exploring the matter, but just want yet another way in which they can be at peace with themselves. Their arguments often become very illogical and absurd (I’ve met my fair share of people who always, without fail, resort to trite jokes and meaningless witticisms), and we don’t actually learn anything new because we’re stuck at such a juvenile level of argumentation.

At the same time, many of us are equally reluctant to admit our faults in front of non-vegetarians. Animal rights is not a simple issue. But it is very loaded. Just like in politics, we are afraid that when we become the less extreme party (even if it means we’re less absolute, narrow-minded, and more intelligent about it overall), non-vegetarians will try to interpret it as a concession of our values – that we’re losing the battle. It’s impossible to do it properly when our fundamental goals are to prove that we are right and they are wrong, as opposed to honest intellectual curiosity.

That’s where I feel that I have a role to play. I am not afraid to criticise our lifestyle where I feel it is lacking, but I only do it with the intention of making us better, more intelligent and more open-minded. I am not objective, and I don’t think anyone can ever be about something as personal and loaded as this, but my primary purpose of writing about these issues is not to convince you that my viewpoint is correct, but to tell you all the various considerations so that you’re in a more informed position to make a decision for yourself. I am completely ok if, at the end of the day, we can only agree to disagree about some of these issues. As veg*ns, we still agree on many things and live in very similar ways, and the things we do agree on are the ones with the most significant impacts on the lives of animals.

Interested? Or if you're not, I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me why!

You can access it at http://thinkingvegetarian.wordpress.com

Thanks for your time!

Capstan likes this.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Your blog seems to me very much like this forum, with you as sole moderator.

There's nothing wrong, but it's seems more inefficient to post comments to a blog than just go to a forum to discuss the same issues.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 06-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Welcome to VeggieBoards. Your statement about 40-years of intellectual stuntedness prompts me to ask, have you considered, instead of writing a blog, writing a book instead, or collecting your blog essays into book form, an anthology?

I agree with silva that posing your questions on a forum might be more stimulating, rather than isolating them in a static format.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."

#4 Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 PM

I guess I desire a sense of ownership over what I write =/

I'm afraid that my posts won't withstand the test of time, and eventually they'll just be buried in the archives.

Anyway, the rest of my comment is not directed at you guys, but something I wanna say after rereading what I've posted.

I fear i come off as arrogant right now, like I'm trying to imply that I have more to say than others, even when I'm inexperienced compared to most of you guys.

But I'm really just very, very keen to contribute in ways I think I can. I'm very passionate about my vegetarianism. I'm not a good cook, I don't know much about nutrition, but if I've been writing a lot on philosophy and morality even before I converted, and I'd like to think that there's something I can do.

But the amount of things I want to explore and the amount of effort I need to put in to it is really daunting. I'd practically have written the length of a book by the time I cover all the topics I want to cover, and that won't be the end of it.

Of course, I don't want anyone to follow my blog reluctantly. I want you guys to do it because you want to.

Edit: Anyway, I won't claim I'm bright enough to write something that is deserving of going into a book. I'll have to do this first, and see how it goes. If people like the idea, and there's a need for me to improve the quality of my posts by doing in depth and difficult research, then it'd worth approaching a publisher. Otherwise it's not worth your money, and it should remain free and accessible.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Impeach the psychopath

I'd say, based on the few things you posted above, you could produce many books, before you're done. In any case, you're always welcome to participate here, and join in the conversations, even play some of the fun games we play sometimes, if you like. I'm not certain, but you may be our one and only Chinese member. We all try to contribute what we can!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#6 Old 06-03-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

I'd say, based on the few things you posted above, you could produce many books, before you're done. In any case, you're always welcome to participate here, and join in the conversations, even play some of the fun games we play sometimes, if you like. I'm not certain, but you may be our one and only Chinese member. We all try to contribute what we can!

Aww, thanks :)

I feel welcome here already.

I guess I'll maintain the blog for my own personal reasons, but maybe I'll post it here as well when I have anything new. Who knows.

I also volunteer at the Vegetarian Society of Singapore, and I'm pretty knowledgeable about the veg scene in Singapore.

I also look forward to the support from you guys when I try to make the switch to vegan.

Check out my blog,
#7 Old 06-03-2013, 06:58 AM

I think it would be a good idea for you to do some research into the nutrition aspects of veg*nism......you could write a hundred books on the philosophy of veg*nism, but if some guy can just come along and say, well it just ain't healthy, then maybe your efforts would have been slightly less effective than they could have been if you were capable of refuting that.

Have you read this blog:

http://www.theveganrd.com/

There is other stuff out there too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page