Vintage Veg - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Riot Nrrrd

My blog is dead ... long live my blog!

In 2010 I started a blog called Rear View Vegetarian but lost focus and it didn't last even a year. I've now taken the basic idea - a look at the history of vegetarian cookery (including vegan cookery of course) -  expanded it to include all aspects of meat-free diets and those who have embraced them throughout history, and relaunched RVV as Vintage Veg. I'm pretty psyched about it.

I'm starting off by editing my posts from RVV and reposting the edited material on VV. Meanwhile I'm  also writing new material so I have 9-10 posts ready to go at all times for when/if my drive to do this falters.

Ideas I'm already working on include:

mesopotamian pilaf recipe

working class & mid19th century vegetarianism
tapioca omlette recipe
wartime rationing & conflation of meatless w/vegetarian
the church & ""
1951 myth & what watson was saying
were vegetarians really called pythagoreans before the word vegetarian was coined?
tofu from ethnic->adventist->counterculture->mainstream
ephrata cloister
colonial bread recipe
18th cty religious communes
swedenborgianism
johnny appleseed
famous vegetarian lists/historical revisionism
hitler
much maligned weston a price
alcott
wagner
sex and vegetarian  reformers - odd carnal obsessions of graham & kellogg
was Jesus veg
ben franklin & tofu

franklin & vegetable diet

All the recipes posted will be vegan. Why would I post a recipe I wouldn't make myself? smiley.gif

The new material should start in 1-2 weeks. Check it out. A link is below in my sig.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 AM

Great topics, I've followed you.

I'm interested to know more in particular about 'classic' retro vegetarian dishes. What were popular dishes during the sixties and seventies when vegetarianism was gaining ground. And how about a post on the nut cutlet, supposedly an iconic vegetarian meal but I actually don't know how they were made, or indeed when / where they were a popular as a non-meat dish. 

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#3 Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Beginner

That sounds really interesting! Would it be possible for you to write the link in a comment, as I am on my mobile and unable to use a computer for a while?

#4 Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Have you read The Bloodless Revolution?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bloodless-Revolution-Cultural-Vegetarianism/dp/0393330648

I loved that book! 

Just historical, no recipes

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Thanks for the kind words everybody. It's nice to see others showing an interest in my odd little obsession.smiley.gif

Quote:
I'm interested to know more in particular about 'classic' retro vegetarian dishes.

I'll definitely be going in to this sort of thing on the blog. A little bit here about the iconic dishes you mentioned as a bonus for people reading this thread:

Nut roasts/cutlets are very common in late 19th century vegetarian cooking. Before the foundation of the Vegetarian Society (1847) the focus of vegetable diet literature focuses more on, you know, vegetables. And water. Water was  very important. Many 'diet gurus' of the time were strong advocates of plenty of fresh water and cold baths in the stuff. Hydrotherapy was the health fad of the day.

The other dish iconic for the age was simple grain porridge. If you took the nut-based stuff and porridge out of old vegetarian cookbooks most of them would end up much shorter.

For more recent decades  ... The 60s I'd give to granola, even though it doesn't really enter the national spotlight until 1969 - "breakfast in bed for 400,000 people" at Woodstock. In the 70s tofu really enters the picture.  The counterculture got turned on to tofu in a big way with the publication of The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook. Lentil (or bean) loaf is also pretty typical of the decade.

Here's a bonus recipe, inspired by the 1800s and adapted for the microwave:

CORNMEAL MUSH

Put 3/4-1 cup water in a microwave safe bowl. Whisk in 1/4 cup white or yellow cornmeal and 2 pinches salt. Nuke on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes. Yum. I eat this most mornings. You can jazz it up with a splash of nondairy milk or a bit of molasses or whatever, but I usually just eat it plain.

Quote:
Would it be possible for you to write the link in a comment,

Sure. http://vntgveg.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Have you read The Bloodless Revolution?

No, I was planning on getting it but entered an out-of-money phase before I had the chance. I own copies of Vegetarianism (rereleased as The Heretic's Feast) and Vegetarianism in America. I generally go to primary sources if I can though. Which reminds me, I need to add a Bibliography page ...

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#6 Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Dave, your blog is neat! I'm a history wonk, so I definitely love it when gastronomy and history intersect! Very nifty! 

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page