Getting upset with Cashier? - Page 7 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#181 Old 07-12-2009, 03:59 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

You shouldn't cater to Sevenseas like that.

I can't help it. He's so dreamy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

So how does the cashier register them?

We have a scanner gun that we can point at the bar codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 07-12-2009, 04:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNK View Post

Are you getting paid to clean up after them?

I can't stand it when people use that as an excuse to litter.
#183 Old 07-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

So how does the cashier register them?

Like rissierissie said, we have scanner guns, but if you had read any of my other posts, I already explained this. I hold them up so the cashier can scan them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissierissie View Post

Just for you today I kept a list of heavy things that people placed on my belt, that I had to subsequently lift and place elsewhere. Please note this is in addition to all the other stuff I put into bags today.

You shouldn't have had to lift the cases of water, cat litter, dog food, or charcoal because for one, it's awkward to scan such bulky items like those in the small area a cashier has to work with, and two, they don't need to be bagged anyway. (We have signs at our grocery stores to leave the heavy and/or bulky goods in the cart.)

I don't work at a grocery store, but if you add up all the stuff I move from one place to another, it definitely adds up to over a ton. I would wager that is probably the case with most people as well, even the ones with desk jobs (books, files, and paper can be heavy, you know!). It's also the way you lift items. As a cashier, you shift items to the left and place them in sacks, so it's low impact.

Like I said, though, it comes with the job of being a cashier. If you can't handle it, find another job.
#184 Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

It's also the way you lift items. As a cashier, you shift items to the left and place them in sacks, so it's low impact.

Except when certain people leave their items in the basket, then it's not just a matter of grabbing items and "shifting them to the left"; they have to first lift the items straight up out of the basket. That's the part of the job that can strain your back. You seem to think that I'm saying that normal cashier work, i.e. grabbing an item, sliding it over the scanner, and pushing it to the left, is difficult and potentially harmful. It's not. I never said or implied that. But having to first lift every item into the air to get it out of the basket is hard, and could strain anyone's back over a long period. You're supposed to hold heavy items near your body when you lift them to avoid hurting yourself, and cashiers can't do that from where they're standing. It's lucky for them that most customers are considerate enough to remove their items from the basket first.

Quote:

How much do you want to bet I've never worked an 8-hour shift that involved a lot of lifting heavy things? How much do you want to bet that you've never done half the stuff I've had to at jobs? I'll make that bet simply because if you had you would not be trying to defend cashiering as tough or that these sorts of jobs shouldn't require some physical fitness. Food service, grocery stores, etc, these jobs aren't desk jobs - you need some actual strength and stamina. That's the nature of the industry.

Once again, I'm not talking about lifting in general, I'm talking about lifting things INCORRECTLY. There is a right way and a wrong way to lift heavy objects. Cashiers can't lift heavy things correctly from where they're standing, and lifting things incorrectly can hurt you. How hard is that to understand?
#185 Old 07-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

Except when certain people leave their items in the basket, then it's not just a matter of grabbing items and "shifting them to the left"; they have to first lift the items straight up out of the basket. That's the part of the job that can strain your back. You seem to think that I'm saying that normal cashier work, i.e. grabbing an item, sliding it over the scanner, and pushing it to the left, is difficult and potentially harmful. It's not. I never said or implied that.

I never said you did. I was replying to rissierissie.

Quote:
But having to first lift every item into the air to get it out of the basket is hard, and could strain anyone's back over a long period. You're supposed to hold heavy items near your body when you lift them to avoid hurting yourself, and cashiers can't do that from where they're standing. It's lucky for them that most customers are considerate enough to remove their items from the basket first.

/facepalm

You wouldn't put items heavy enough to strain someone's back in a basket. If you can't lift a box of cereal, maybe a few cans of beans and a head of lettuce up twelve inches, you probably need some therapy and help to build up support for your back.

This subject really isn't worth this much discussion.
#186 Old 07-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Are you getting paid to clean up after them?

Seriously, then they could fire a couple people and/or cut back hours.

Cleaning the lot is part of the job, BUT every time people leave junk on the tables or on the floor it requires us to send out a person who's working in the food prep area to clean up, causing people to wait longer. Some days, we have to have an extra person to deal with these issues... our prices will go up an the customers will complain, yet they act like babies and don't clean up after themselves. Technically what they're doing is littering and they could get a $1,000 fine if a cop was in the area. It's an issue that is easily resolved.

Actually no because every time I go to the local supermarket, there are carts EVERYWHERE, they are obviously either understaffed or it's not a priority.
#187 Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I can't stand it when people use that as an excuse to litter.

Exactly!!
#188 Old 07-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:

You shouldn't have had to lift the cases of water, cat litter, dog food, or charcoal because for one, it's awkward to scan such bulky items like those in the small area a cashier has to work with, and two, they don't need to be bagged anyway. (We have signs at our grocery stores to leave the heavy and/or bulky goods in the cart.)

We shouldn't have to but we do have to. It's nice that your grocery store has a sign but most don't. Clearly mine doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey View Post

There is a right way and a wrong way to lift heavy objects. Cashiers can't lift heavy things correctly from where they're standing, and lifting things incorrectly can hurt you. How hard is that to understand?

P.S. There's a guy that I work with who hurt his back and has to wear a brace as a result of a repetitive strain injury that he got from *gasp* cashiering.

That's all I've got to say about that. I'm bowing out of the conversation now.
#189 Old 07-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissierissie View Post

He said I did such a great job that he's going to come my line every time he goes grocery shopping.

You should have said, "Is that a promise or a threat?"

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#190 Old 07-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:

You wouldn't put items heavy enough to strain someone's back in a basket. If you can't lift a box of cereal, maybe a few cans of beans and a head of lettuce up twelve inches, you probably need some therapy and help to build up support for your back.

You wouldn't, and I wouldn't, but a gallon of milk IS heavy enough to strain someone's back if they lift it incorrectly. A gallon of milk fits in a basket, so plenty of people put it there.

EDIT: It seems like we agree on this point, doesn't it? We both think that putting heavy things in a basket (like milk) and not unloading the basket is rude and very inconsiderate because it is heavy enough to hurt the cashier's back if the cashier has to repeatedly lift things like that out of a basket that is not directly in front of them.

Where we disagree is that I also happen to think it's rude to not unload the basket even when there are only light things in it - but again, that's because where I live, the basket pile is at the beginning of the lane, and the cashier would have to go far out of his or her way to put it back if you don't unload it yourself. I guess if your cashier has a basket pile right beside the till, and if you don't put heavy things in it, then there's no reason why you would need to unload it yourself.

#191 Old 07-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

You should have said, "Is that a promise or a threat?"

#192 Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

I thought "don't wanna" stopped being legitimate at about 2 years old.

There really needs to be a rep system on this board.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page