I have been called for jury duty. - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-05-2003, 06:33 AM
Banned

I have been called for jury duty, and I am not looking forward to it. I will be on call for 3 months. I get a knot in my stomach just thinking about it. I am in Oklahoma, and I don't qualify to be excused for any reason. I'm up for any advice, sharing of experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2003, 06:52 AM
Beginner

I was in a jury last year for a man charged with malice murder, among other things. It was quite an intense experience that affeted me for a while. If you want to read about my experience, I wrote about it in my blog:

part one

part two (skip down a bit)

part three (same as above)

Please excuse the language.

I don't know of any advice I can give you, but I'll post it if I think of it. I'm lucky that my experience was only for a week.
#3 Old 12-05-2003, 07:11 AM
Banned

Oh, God. I read it all. Chris, I have go to get off this jury duty.
#4 Old 12-05-2003, 07:14 AM
Beginner

Sorry. I wasn't expecting that when I went in, either. It could also be something corporate and not murder-related.
#5 Old 12-05-2003, 07:16 AM
Banned

Thanks anyway.
#6 Old 12-05-2003, 07:28 AM
Banned

In Oklahoma we have capital punishment, and the jury recomends the punishment. I could not vote to kill someone.
#7 Old 12-05-2003, 07:30 AM
Banned

Bank, what emotional problems would I have to have to be excused?
#8 Old 12-05-2003, 07:31 AM
Beginner

Look, my husband picks jurors all of the time. At some point they are going to ask you if you really don't want to serve, and you can tell them that you don't - most of the time you'll leave.

Then, if you do make onto a panel for a trial, you will be asked questions by the lawyers from both sides. Just answer in such a way as to make you unappealing to one side or the other and they'll eliminate you. For example, you'll probably be asked if you can be fair and impartial with regards to some issue - just say, "no", and tell them some reason why (I'm a vegan, therefore I cannot be impartial in judging those who are meat eaters.... ...not really, but you know what I mean. Give them some life experience to back it up, and you'll be removed from the panel.

If you don't want to serve, most times you don't have to.
#9 Old 12-05-2003, 07:34 AM
Beginner

I believe the capital punishment issue came up in the juror questioning, and some were against it (though not me). I can't remember if those who were against it were dismissed. I do know that we had no say in the sentencing, so it might not have mattered. (BTW, the guy was sentenced to 2 consecutive life sentences*.)

*ETA: without parole
#10 Old 12-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Banned

Ask your husband what I would need to say to express that I was emotionally unable to take the stress of jury duty. What would convince them?
#11 Old 12-05-2003, 07:52 AM
Joe
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life2k View Post

In Oklahoma we have capital punishment, and the jury recomends the punishment. I could not vote to kill someone.

If you tell them this--and at least the prosecutor will ask--then you will be excused from the jury relating to the capital case. But you might be kicked back into the larger jury pool relating to other matters that come to trial--bank robbery or whatever.

Just remember, you might be charged with a crime someday and need a jury to treat you fairly. So don't be too eager to get out of jury duty entirely.
#12 Old 12-05-2003, 07:54 AM
Beginner

I agree with Joe. Granted, you might not be the right person for a capital punishment trial, but something else. Though it was intense, I'm glad I was chosen. It was an educational and valuable experience.
#13 Old 12-05-2003, 07:55 AM
Banned

Joe, I thought of that too. I know I am fair, and I would want someone like me on my jury, but I just don't know if my nerves can take the stress.
#14 Old 12-05-2003, 09:23 AM
Beginner

I don't really have any advice...But when I got called for jury duty, I was the first person to be kicked out!! I was kinda sad in a way, I wanted the experience. It was for some corporate type of crime, something to do w/money something or other.

I had pink & blue hair at the time, maybe that's why they didn't want me? I dressed nice and everything, tho. So maybe you just have to dye your hair a "wierd" colour
#15 Old 12-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Beginner

Life, if you can get a doctor's note that says you are emotionally unable to serve then you will probably be excused. It's really no big deal though, around here most of the ones who are called wind up sitting around in a lounge playing cards for a day or two before they get sent home. I've been called a couple of times, and once I made it all the way into the box before I got kicked out on voir dire. Mrs. Bank got called last year and made it into a jury box. When they asked her if she knew anyone she said "Oh my, yes, the prosecutor and I were neighbors when my husband was in law school and the defense atty has been to my house more than once". The Judge smiled and said "Thank you Mrs. Bank, you're excused now" . . .
#16 Old 12-05-2003, 09:55 AM
Banned

I love the hair thing! As many people as I taught in 25 years in this county, I am bound to know someone I shouldn't. You have relaxed me a bit. Thanks.
#17 Old 12-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Beginner

Jury duty is a wonderful experience, especially when your put away in a room with all woman! Our man was innocent, not proven beyond a reasonable doubt. It was neat to see how the process worked.
#18 Old 12-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Beginner

I tried to get out of jury duty by sending a very long letter stating that it would be a hardship for my employer (even had boss sign it) if I were chosen and had to miss work at that time - don't try this, it didn't do anything but get my reporting date postponed - oh well!

When I did report, I got eliminated from the selection process on one case, but not before the judge called me to the bench, asked me to give my story and then asked if I thought I would be able to fairly hear/judge the case...I think the redness in my face and shaking hands got me out of that one.

The one case I did hear was a drunk driving case. I found the actual process interesting, but all the waiting to get to that point was mind numbing.

My mom always gets called, and ALWAYS gets excused...her hubby is best friends with the State's Attorney and he's practiced law in town for over 30 years himself.

It is a pretty interesting experience and if you're really unable do judge something fairly because of experiences or beliefs all it takes is saying it out loud to get you off of that case.
#19 Old 12-05-2003, 10:41 AM
Banned

Um, I don't really know if EquiPro realizes the process, but I would not recommend that you lie. If you go up for questioning, they will put you under oath. Most people realize that lying is morally wrong in general, but it's even worse when you have the penalty of perjury, usually a D Felony, that goes with it. Do not lie, please. The attorneys want you to be honest, forthright.

Secondly, I was an official court reporter for two years and had the experience of speaking with jurors after the deliberation process. Most of them were reluctant to the idea at first, and then afterwards thought it was a good life experience, fulfulling their "civic duty."

Thirdly, being an impartial person is a good trait to have, so if you do get chosen because you are impartial, unbiased, whatever you want to call it, take it as a compliment.
#20 Old 12-05-2003, 12:29 PM
Banned

I wouldn't lie. I think that is what has me thinking there is no way out of this. I have had some time to think about it more this morning after hearing from all of you. Someone has to do it, right? Who do I know for sure is going to be fair? Me. I can't see into anyone elses thinking processes. Who knows, maybe this is ment to be.
#21 Old 12-05-2003, 12:39 PM
Beginner

YIKES. that stinks. i had jury duty two months ago. they give it out a ton in this city. i never went. sorta forgot, and never called about it afterwards. wonder if i'll go to jail soon. bad citizen. oh well.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#22 Old 12-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Beginner

I was on call for jury duty once, called in as required, and was never asked to come in.

So, good luck.
#23 Old 12-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Beginner

I had Jury duty earlier this year. I brought a book, and bizarrely knew some people there, so we chatted. I was there for two days, didn't get picked, and am now through for 4 yrs. Yay.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#24 Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Banned

I wouldn't look at it as "lying", but exercising your creativity.

Actually, why can't they have it so people who would like such an opportunity are required to apply to be on call? That would allow the rest of us some ease of mind.
#25 Old 12-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Banned

Kurmie for Governor!
#26 Old 12-05-2003, 10:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

Actually, why can't they have it so people who would like such an opportunity are required to apply to be on call? That would allow the rest of us some ease of mind.

I would think someone as opinionated as you wouldn't want to leave justice in the hands of the weak-minded, Kurm!
#27 Old 12-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Banned

Damn. I keep hoping to get called.
#28 Old 12-06-2003, 04:37 AM
Beginner

Me and my buddies are sometimes called. We just send back the "unable to do it" form with the "I'm not a citizen" box checked. LOL.
#29 Old 03-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Beginner

So, what happened?

(ETA: *bump*)
#30 Old 03-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

So, what happened?

(ETA: *bump*)

Ditto!!!..... What happened with you Mrs Life2K???

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page