Haunted Places-? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Beginner

My dad, bro and me have decided to make a mini vacation every summer to go to "haunted" places. We're not sure where to go this year though. We've been to Waverly Hills (twice for me and my dad) and it was awesome. We're looking for a place that will allow us the same freedom we had to explore there. (We were allowed to walk around unsupervised for the most part, set up a video camera, etc...) We don't just want to do some lame tour. I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions on where to go. We're willing to travel anywhere in the U.S. and would prefer it not be in the northeast Kansas area, or the southeast Nebraska area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Beginner

Thats such a cool idea for a vacation! I had to google Waverly Hills. Looks sooo creepy. Sorry I have no recommendations but I'm interested in seeing what other people suggest and where you decide to go.
#3 Old 04-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Banned

Not the right location for you but there's a castle a few miles from me that has a history of ghosts. On certain evenings, you can spend the night in the haunted castle...if you dare....

Check it out:

http://www.bodelwyddan-castle.co.uk/Spookystuff.htm
#4 Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Beginner

http://www.lizzie-borden.com/

Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast! Sleep in the house in which Lizzie allegedly murdered her parents, visit the graves, etc.
#5 Old 04-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Beginner

from my Halloween Party thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post

Now, in regards to The Shining, the story is that Stephen King was inspired to write the novel while staying at The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. The neoclassical design, as well as the hotels ghost lore (and what respectable hotel doesnt have at least one ghost floating around?) were the inspirations for the hotel he described in his book. From Wikipedia:

The Stanley Hotel is a majestic 138-room Georgian hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. Located within sight of the Rocky Mountain National Park, the Stanley offers panoramic views of the Rockies. It was built in 1909 by Freelan O. Stanley of Stanley Steamer fame and catered to the rich and famous. The hotel and its surrounding lands are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Stanley has hosted many famous guests, including Unsinkable Molly Brown, John Philip Sousa, Theodore Roosevelt, the Emperor and Empress of Japan, and a variety of Hollywood personalities. The Stanley Hotel also hosted Stephen King for five months while he wrote The Shining.

In addition to its regular guests, the hotel is reported to play host to a number of otherworldly visitors. The most notable is F.O. Stanley himself who is most often seen in the lobby and the Billiard Room, which was his favorite room when he was still alive. On one such occasion, he was said to have appeared during a tour groups visit to the Billiard Room, materializing behind a member of the tour. Bartenders at the old hotel also report having seen F.O. stroll through the bar, disappearing when they try to cut him off at the kitchen. Flora Stanley purportedly haunts the hotel as well, continuing to entertain guests with her piano playing in the Music room. Employees and guests have reported hearing music coming from the room, and when they take a peek into the room they can see the piano keys moving. However, as soon as someone walks across the thresh-hold to investigate further, the music stops and no more movement can be seen upon the keys of the piano.

For reservations, call 1-800-976-1377 or visit their website at

http://www.stanleyhotel.com

Boo!

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 04-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Beginner

Now, if you want to come to Los Angeles...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Hotel_(Hollywood)

*this space not for sale*
#7 Old 04-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Beginner

We've wanted to go to the Lizzie Borden place, but I guess for an overnight stay you have to book it way in advance.

That castle looks awesome!!! I wish we could make it there. I'll have to tell my dad & bro about it and see if maybe within the next few years we could plan a not so mini vacation.

We were thinking maybe the Stanley Hotel, but I guess we wouldn't be able to get the room we'd want on short notice. I want to go to the Winchester mansion, but it seems like it's more of just a tour. My bro found "The Bell Witch Adventure Weekend", in Tennessee. It seems pretty cool, so once we do more research we might do that.

Waverly Hills is pretty awesome. Here's some pics we took (My avatar is from there, too)

Death Tunnel:

My bro in the morgue-they actually left him in there for about an hour:

My favorite graffiti there:

I actually broke that bench when I got up, shhh. That room we're in is said to have a lot of activity:

I've got tons of pics. There's so much awesome graffiti there. It's just an awesome building overall.
#8 Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Beginner

Winchester Mansion is definitely a tour. Very strict guidelines on where you can go what you can touch. It's a cool tour but definitely not a place to go if you'd like a bit of free reign.
#9 Old 04-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Winchester Mansion is definitely a tour. Very strict guidelines on where you can go what you can touch. It's a cool tour but definitely not a place to go if you'd like a bit of free reign.

Yeah, after looking it up that's basically what I figured. I've always wanted to go there, and hopefully will some day, but we're looking for a more hands on thing.
#10 Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#11 Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

If you want a scary experience, you could try staying with SevenSeas for a few days.

I'm kidding, SevenSeas.

Haha, I'm not brave enough for that!
#12 Old 04-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Beginner

That sounds way creepy!! I always wanted to do something like that.

What about Myrtles? I know a lot of people who have stayed there its a bed & breakfast type thing. http://www.myrtlesplantation.com/
#13 Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

That sounds way creepy!! I always wanted to do something like that.

What about Myrtles? I know a lot of people who have stayed there its a bed & breakfast type thing. http://www.myrtlesplantation.com/

Have they had experiences?
#14 Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZCsmpsns View Post

Have they had experiences?

One of my friends heard banging on the walls all around her one night.. and some other things, it's a very active place.

there is also a really creepy picture w/ blood behind the glass in the hallway where the one owner was shot it's really weird.

It's bed and breakfast type & they also give you a tour.. so you kinda get the best of both.
#15 Old 04-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Beginner

I've been to waverly hills too, I'm from louisville

I have a pic of that area where the pregnant nurse hung herself, I think room 502 or something, and there's this light looking thing that kinda has the shape of a baby! It's creepy. I saw a lot of strange things there, made me a believer.

Do you watch Ghost Hunters? You might want to watch some episodes online to see what interests you. There's an episode guide on their scifi page and you can find some episodes there and surfthechannel.com, and I think youtube too. The Stanley Hotel was probably my favorite episode.
#16 Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Beginner

Waverly Hills, never been in person, nor to the USA as a whole, but there's a statue I know which is infamous (to me anyway) at Waverly, known even to this UKer, but I don't know its name or anything, I just happened upon it online one time, and I used it as part of an online profile coz I loved its chimera or whatever, its charisma even... (But I have to refind said pic because I lost during a PC crash late last year, famous last words, yada yada)
#17 Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Beginner

Waverly Hills Cemetery, never been in person, nor to the USA as a whole, but there's a statue I know which is infamous (to me anyway) at Waverly, known even to this UKer, but I don't know its name or anything, I just happened upon it online one time, and I used it as part of an online profile coz I loved its chimera or whatever, its charisma even... (But I have to refind said pic because I lost during a PC crash late last year, famous last words, yada yada)
#18 Old 04-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblthin View Post

I've been to waverly hills too, I'm from louisville

I have a pic of that area where the pregnant nurse hung herself, I think room 502 or something, and there's this light looking thing that kinda has the shape of a baby! It's creepy. I saw a lot of strange things there, made me a believer.

Do you watch Ghost Hunters? You might want to watch some episodes online to see what interests you. There's an episode guide on their scifi page and you can find some episodes there and surfthechannel.com, and I think youtube too. The Stanley Hotel was probably my favorite episode.

Yeah, room 502. You should post that pic! The last time we were there, when we were by that room, I could NOT go in. I got light headed and dizzy and didn't feel right. I felt fine except for by that room. It freaked me out because they say pregnant women often get sick in there. Thankfully I wasn't! Bats kept flying at my face though on almost every floor! We set up a camera in the hall where the little boy is said to be seen, and put different toy balls down, but none of them moved. My ex said on that floor in one of the rooms he saw a figure that was child sized, but he's not sure if it was just shadows. When my bro was in the morgue he said he experienced a few weird things.

My dad and I are avid Ghost Hunters watchers. I'm so in love with Steve and Tango! There's a lot of places they go to that we want to, that's actually how we found out about Waverly Hills. A lot of those places don't offer the kind of thing we want, though. My bro doesn't really watch the show, so I'll have him check out the sites, since we left it up to him to choose where to go this year.
#19 Old 04-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Beginner

I've been to Gettysburg quite a few times, and it is very creepy there. I have gotten lots of pictures of orbs and such. It's a very fun place besides.
#20 Old 04-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Yeah, room 502. You should post that pic! The last time we were there, when we were by that room, I could NOT go in. I got light headed and dizzy and didn't feel right. I felt fine except for by that room. It freaked me out because they say pregnant women often get sick in there. Thankfully I wasn't! Bats kept flying at my face though on almost every floor! We set up a camera in the hall where the little boy is said to be seen, and put different toy balls down, but none of them moved. My ex said on that floor in one of the rooms he saw a figure that was child sized, but he's not sure if it was just shadows. When my bro was in the morgue he said he experienced a few weird things.

My dad and I are avid Ghost Hunters watchers. I'm so in love with Steve and Tango! There's a lot of places they go to that we want to, that's actually how we found out about Waverly Hills. A lot of those places don't offer the kind of thing we want, though. My bro doesn't really watch the show, so I'll have him check out the sites, since we left it up to him to choose where to go this year.

^^ I've actually talked to Tango a couple times on myspace haha Nothing too interesting, just kinda small talk, but I about crapped myself when I saw him in my inbox lol

I'll see if I can find the picture And I've heard that too about preggo women, but I'm not, nor will I ever be, pregnant haha
#21 Old 04-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblthin View Post

^^ I've actually talked to Tango a couple times on myspace haha Nothing too interesting, just kinda small talk, but I about crapped myself when I saw him in my inbox lol

I'll see if I can find the picture And I've heard that too about preggo women, but I'm not, nor will I ever be, pregnant haha

You talked to Tango! I'm so jealous, I'd ghost hunt him any day ... I don't really know what that means, but I would lol.

Yeah, that's what they say, freaked me out because that's the only place where I really physically felt something. Yeah, this uterus is not for rent! lol
#22 Old 04-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:

hunt him any day ... I don't really know what that means, but I would lol.

lol

Oh i know exactly what you mean haha

Anyway, did you decide on a location yet??
#23 Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Beginner

As far as I know my bro still wants to do the Bell Witch thing, I didn't talk to him last night though so I'm not sure if he's made reservations yet or if he's wanting to go anywhere else.
#24 Old 04-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Sweet you'll have to let us know how it goes
#25 Old 04-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

If you want a scary experience, you could try staying with SevenSeas for a few days.

I'm kidding, SevenSeas.

LOL...Funny

and this sounds like such an awesome vacation...thanx for sharing the info and pics.
#26 Old 04-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Beginner

I just totally freaked myself out looking up all the haunted places near me. *shivers* We have a lot of freaky stuff going on around here.

Sounds like a fun vacation idea. Have a blast wherever you go and bring back some pictures
#27 Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Beginner

waverly hills is a cool place. i'm also glad you enjoyed some of the graffiti there

btw us locals call it "the TB hospital" (tuberculosis)

you used to have to sneak up through the woods to get there, which was pretty scary at night. unfortunately now they've chopped down most of the woods and built houses.
#28 Old 05-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Yeah, after looking it up that's basically what I figured. I've always wanted to go there, and hopefully will some day, but we're looking for a more hands on thing.

Yeah, you should definitely check it out. It's an intriguing story and a cool tour. There's stairwells leading to nowhere and 13 of EVERYTHING!! It's crazy!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page