What is the purpose of the time change? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Beginner

The time always moves ahead one hour in the spring (Spring ahead) and moves back an hour in the fall (Fall behind). What is the point of changing the time though? Does anyone know? Do we only do this in America or does this happen all over the world?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Beginner

I think it originally was thought up to give farmers more daylight to work their land. Not entirely sure though.
#3 Old 11-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I think it originally was thought up to give farmers more daylight to work their land. Not entirely sure though.

That's what I heard too but that makes no sense at all. Regardless of what time it is you still get exactly the same amount of daylight. It may begin an hour earlier but it ends an hour earlier too so what's the point?
#4 Old 11-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Beginner

Beats the crap outta me!
#5 Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Banned

its been going on for ages. basically its done so there is more daylight in the evening- for leisure and pleasure persuits, kids walking home from school, etc. it does mean its darker in the morning though. blame the british- we started it.
#6 Old 11-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Beats the crap outta me!

Beats the daylights outta me.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#7 Old 11-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Beginner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#8 Old 11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Beginner

It says that taking an hour of daylight away in the afternoon has negative effects on farming but that makes absolutely NO sense at all. Whether it gets sunny earlier or stays sunny later either way you still have the EXACT SAME amount of daylight I don't see ANY positive sides of it getting dark earlier in the day. Crime is higher, car accidents are more likely to happen, kids can't play outside as long, you can't work outside as long without the lights on. It's just silly to me, that's all.
#9 Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

I don't see ANY positive sides of it getting dark earlier in the day. Crime is higher, car accidents are more likely to happen, kids can't play outside as long, you can't work outside as long without the lights on. It's just silly to me, that's all.

During the summer, when Daylight Saving Time is in effect, it does stay light later in the day, so that crime is supposedly lower, car accidents are less likely to happen, kids can stay outside to play, etc. I see the benefit most often in spring, when, during Standard Time, I am commuting home in the dark at six PM, but when the clock is set forward one hour at the start of Daylight Saving Time, its lighter at six PM. You don't get the benefit during the winter, since the days are shorter than the nights most of the time, anyway.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#10 Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

During the summer, when Daylight Saving Time is in effect, it does stay light later in the day, so that crime is supposedly lower, car accidents are less likely to happen, kids can stay outside to play, etc. I see the benefit most often in spring, when, during Standard Time, I am commuting home in the dark at six PM, but when the clock is set forward one hour at the start of Daylight Saving Time, its lighter at six PM. You don't get the benefit during the winter, since the days are shorter than the nights most of the time, anyway.

I agree but by pushing the darkness ahead by an hour it's giving us an even shorter day. Sorry, it just bugs me. I don't see any point to it. Why not just keep the time the same way all year long allowing us an extra hour of daylight in the afternoon?
#11 Old 11-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Beginner

I guess there must be some reason why it is necessary for us to spend at least six months of the year with our clocks calibrated to true noon. I'm pretty sure in the past there have been years in which the President of the US decided not to recognize DST, but not in my lifetime.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#12 Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Beginner

Daylight Savings Time is the greatest inconvenience ever posed. Whenever I face someone with this clear in mind they avidly strive to denounce my claims and bring fallible importance to it. If during a portion of the year we set our clocks forward and then later set our clocks back we are clearly setting ourselves up for catastrophic failure. Firstly Daylight Savings Time wastes the time of every single person who has to set back each and every clock in the world and secondly it's pointless to add hours one day and take them away another. It's similar to as follows:

6 + 1 + 6 - 1 = 12

As you can see the above mathematical equation clearly lays out the idea of Daylight Savings Time, each number equating to about an hour in an average cycle. If you think about it, 6 hours isn't a variable, it's a set constant. Also they can be placed in any other portion of the equation, the time will still add up the same:

6 = 6

1 + 6 + 6 -1 = 12

This much is obvious enough, also enough to show that an hour is still an hour no matter when it ticks. But ultimately the equation shows that the equation is unnecessarily long and can easily be shortened for simplicity. If we equate the number 1 with the hour each year that is deducted and then added in the name of Daylight Savings Time:

1 - 1 = 0

6 + 6 [+ 0] = 12

Then we can easily simplify the equation to the point where it's no longer applied, this can be done because the hour of Daylight Savings Time has already been proven to have no alternative features, it's not a variable and it can be positioned differently throughout the equation, put simply, an hour is just an hour and we are wasting our time arranging the world's schedule to accommodate something as superficial as a small period of sunlight, when in the grand scheme of things (6 + 6), it needn't apply.

Among the same lines is the Time Zone factor, this is also highly unnecessary.

Now I can understand the desire to get a fair day's worth of sunlight anywhere in the world on almost any day at 3 pm, but the complete nonsensical nature of it, utterly erases it's remote benefits, for example:

If a sister lives somewhere where it's 6 pm and she calls her brother where it's 2 pm, according to the logical workings of time, she is illogically dialing a number to a phone that rang fours hours before in the past, yet despite this inconstancy, the two can easily converse with one another, creating the paradox of someone who's voice can be heard before it's ever spoken. This of course is completely ludicrous and as we know is impossible , yet every day thousands of people from around the world make long distance calls that dial a phone somewhere in the future or past, completely ripping apart the very fabric of time.

Of course we should know better, we know that the person isn't bending time when they make international calls and we know a person doesn't age more when they fly west, if that was the case, they'd be stuck at the midnight mark and only have the option of flying back in time as if their lives were governed by Tivo.

Certainly these impossibilities are only abstract and only exist because we have redefined our idea of time since it was first proposed. Thus if we wish not to continue to live in such a broken world we must abolish Daylight Savings Time as well as the idea of Time Zones.

Also Nickle00, of course the entire world operates on Daylight Savings Time, if it didn't, international flights would cause innumerable crises.

That's my two cents.

Racism = Speciesism just as Homophobia = Incestophobia.
Disagree? Then consider that we're all related to some degree and by extension, every sexual instance is incestuous to some degree. The level at which it is typically considered "incest" is entirely arbitrary. If you're the kind of person...
#13 Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

its been going on for ages. basically its done so there is more daylight in the evening- for leisure and pleasure persuits, kids walking home from school, etc. it does mean its darker in the morning though. blame the british- we started it.

No, I can't stop thanking you.....it was a wicked idea.

In Australia we just started it three weeks earlier than usual this year too.
#14 Old 11-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Beginner

In Europe we do it about a week or two before North America.

It happens everywhere I've lived, although in the former USSR they didn't start doing it until after Communism fell, apparently. And they don't do it in Saskatchewan although it happens everywhere else in Canada.
#15 Old 11-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Beginner

49 hour weekend!
#16 Old 11-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:

thats what i was told as a child
#17 Old 11-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Beginner

I was always told it's for kids. to have it lighter out longer in the summer while they're off, and to make it lighter earlier in the winter when they walk to school.
#18 Old 11-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Beginner

In the U.S., it's for business ... but isn't most everything?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michae...l_b_90451.html

As Congress debated an additional seven weeks of daylight saving (it ultimately passed a one-month extension), lobbyists representing $135 billion in retail sales formed the Daylight Saving Time Coalition. The proposed extension, they testified,could net $400 million in additional revenues for the golf industry, and $150 million in sales of barbecue grills and briquettes, just for starters.

Give Americans more light in the evening, and we will go out to the golf course or the mall--in our cars. Congress has never quantified the impact on gasoline consumption. But last March, after we shoved our clocks ahead, gasoline prices began to rise, and so did demand. This was predictable. In 1930, the petroleum industry funded the first statewide referendum on daylight saving in California, correctly betting on an increase in pleasure driving.
#19 Old 11-06-2008, 05:40 AM
Beginner

I've heard it's for farmers, to save electricity, and to help the kids.

In reality it's so that when I get up at 5 am and get out the door at 6am there's some light for me to get to work. So thanks, cause I really do like it
#20 Old 11-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Beginner

It's just one more example of humanity thinking it's above nature.
#21 Old 11-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantKarma View Post

It's just one more example of humanity thinking it's above nature.

Quite possibly.

Racism = Speciesism just as Homophobia = Incestophobia.
Disagree? Then consider that we're all related to some degree and by extension, every sexual instance is incestuous to some degree. The level at which it is typically considered "incest" is entirely arbitrary. If you're the kind of person...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page