USA people: What help can someone get if their house has burned down? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Beginner

If someone's house has burned down, what government (either national (federal?) government or local government (eg. town council, governor, etc.)) can they get? The person lives in Sarepta, Louisiana, U.S.A. and their landlady has offered them somewhere else to live (though for future reference, would they have been able to get help to get a new place to live from the government?) but they need to be able to get furniture etc. (I think)

Also, are there any free (or cheap, but preferably free) helplines that you know of that can provide emotional support?

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Banned

Here's a start:

Webster Parish Office Department of Social Services (also serving Bienville, Claiborne Parishes, and Jackson Parish )

1232 Sheppard Street

Minden, La. 71055

(318) 371-3004

Volunteers of America - North Louisiana (24 hour hotline) 221-5000, 800-222-3196

YWCA Crisis Line 222-0556

Community Counseling Center 746-2645

Community Support Program 221-7978

Regional Office: Shreveport
#3 Old 10-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Here's a start:

Webster Parish Office Department of Social Services (also serving Bienville, Claiborne Parishes, and Jackson Parish )

1232 Sheppard Street

Minden, La. 71055

(318) 371-3004

Volunteers of America - North Louisiana (24 hour hotline) 221-5000, 800-222-3196

YWCA Crisis Line 222-0556

Community Counseling Center 746-2645

Community Support Program 221-7978

Regional Office: Shreveport

Thanks, that's great.

But does the government (or government organisations) not offer much help its self? From doing a bit of research, it seems that the U.S. government relies on charities to do things that the government should do (eg. help with housing/clothing etc.) - surely that's not the case in one of the richest countries in the world is it?

Also for anyone who is reading this with the same question (or a question similar to) the one I asked at the start of this thread, here's some stuff I found:

http://tinyurl.com/4dhsqy
#4 Old 10-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpirit View Post

Thanks, that's great.

But does the government (or government organisations) not offer much help its self? From doing a bit of research, it seems that the U.S. government relies on charities to do things that the government should do (eg. help with housing/clothing etc.) - surely that's not the case in one of the richest countries in the world is it?

Also for anyone who is reading this with the same question (or a question similar to) the one I asked at the start of this thread, here's some stuff I found:

http://tinyurl.com/4dhsqy

I was born and raised in the US and yes, the government has a very 'hands off' approach in these situations. There is insurance for renters to cover this situation and if the renters did not choose to take this insurance out then they'll feel the consequences. Yes, charities are by and large where people end up if all else fails, at least in the short term.
#5 Old 10-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:

But does the government (or government organisations) not offer much help its self? From doing a bit of research, it seems that the U.S. government relies on charities to do things that the government should do (eg. help with housing/clothing etc.) - surely that's not the case in one of the richest countries in the world is it?]

Why should that be the responsibility of the government?
#6 Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Beginner

i thought it would be insurance companies who dealt with fire help and stuff?
#7 Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Beginner

There are charities that will help.

Whether it's the government's responsibility to help depends on your political leaning. If the US is a purely capitalistic country (it is not), then the responsibility would fall on the individual. That's a whole other thread, though.

Does this individual have renter's insurance? While there is help from charities and might be some from the government (which might take work to find), the person whose home burnt down should get renter's insurance once they've recovered. (Or home owner's insurance in the case of the house being mortgaged.)
#8 Old 10-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Kiz
Beginner

Not everyone who rents can afford insurance, you know.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#9 Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Beginner

Sadly, except for churches, friends, co-workers, and just specilized charities in the town, there's not much other than insurance. And even then insurance may or may not pay for everything.

I've seen some people in my town who lost their house due to a fire -- and the paper wouldn't even cover it because apparently they weren't "well known" (i.e. sucked up to the rich, or were rich). Sometimes a paper or other group in towns will run a story or hold a "chilie dinner" or some such thing to raise some money to basically pay for some food and hotel/etc for a few days until the other help comes in.
#10 Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatopower View Post

Why should that be the responsibility of the government?

Erm because the government is really rich and charities aren't? I'm really surprised. My country's government (U.K.) is nowhere near as rich as the U.S.A. yet, though it may be difficult to access at times, I know that there would be help available from a government source if my house burned down - help from the council to get accommodation, help from the government's Social Fund (eg. a Crisis Loan), etc. I wouldn't just be expected to rely on charities that may not have enough funding to help. If I was on state benefits (welfare benefits) then I'd probably even be entitled to free counselling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

There are charities that will help.

Whether it's the government's responsibility to help depends on your political leaning. If the US is a purely capitalistic country (it is not), then the responsibility would fall on the individual. That's a whole other thread, though.

Does this individual have renter's insurance? While there is help from charities and might be some from the government (which might take work to find), the person whose home burnt down should get renter's insurance once they've recovered. (Or home owner's insurance in the case of the house being mortgaged.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

i thought it would be insurance companies who dealt with fire help and stuff?

She had insurance but until this happened she didn't realise that it didn't actually cover this. The furniture, for example, was on a payment plan and all the insurance did was stopped her having to make more payments in the event of a fire, but she'd been led to believe that it meant she could get the furniture replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Well said. One thing that really irks me about the U.S.A. is how so many people just EXPECT people to have insurance. It's not exactly cheap. And incidentally, some people don't even meet the requirements for Medicare.

Anyway, there are lots of people helping her.
#11 Old 10-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Beginner

My renter's insurance is only $35 a month. And that covers a pretty big house full of stuff. Even when I was really poor I still had renter's insurance. I think back then it was around $20 a month because we lived in a really tiny apartment.
#12 Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Kiz
Beginner

I guess that's not "really poor" compared to other people. Renter's insurance isn't exactly standard. When someone is going without food because of the insane costs of rent I doubt that renter's insurance is a priority. More food is. When rent is 50% of your income an extra $10 or $20 a week can be a real kicker.

#13 Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Erm because the government is really rich and charities aren't?

What a bizarre statement. Where do you think governments get their money from? The backs of working people. Money just doesn't fall from the sky into the pocket of the government.
#14 Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Kiz
Beginner

And we pay taxes in order to help our fellow citizens and ourselves. That's what taxes are primarily for.

#15 Old 10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:

And we pay taxes in order to help our fellow citizens and ourselves. That's what taxes are primarily for.

Of course, but it's silly to imply that the government is just some sort of Neverland-ish resource. The government is funded primarily by the non well-to-do.
#16 Old 10-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Beginner

The American Red Cross can sometimes help -- but no, the government doesn't do much.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#17 Old 10-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Beginner

I wouldn't call trillions in debt "rich."
#18 Old 10-09-2008, 04:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

My renter's insurance is only $35 a month. And that covers a pretty big house full of stuff. Even when I was really poor I still had renter's insurance. I think back then it was around $20 a month because we lived in a really tiny apartment.

That's $8.75 a week. Even if that's changed into British money, I can still buy a significant amount of food with it if I buy the cheap stuff. Some people simply can't afford it. I'm really glad you could though.

Quote:

I guess that's not "really poor" compared to other people. Renter's insurance isn't exactly standard. When someone is going without food because of the insane costs of rent I doubt that renter's insurance is a priority. More food is. When rent is 50% of your income an extra $10 or $20 a week can be a real kicker.

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

What a bizarre statement. Where do you think governments get their money from? The backs of working people. Money just doesn't fall from the sky into the pocket of the government.

I never said it fell from the sky. It comes from tax - tax which is automatically taken from your wages. Unlike charity donations which (a) aren't legally required so not every working person gives money to charity (and even for the ones that do, they can't exactly afford to give money to EVERY charity) and (b) can be stopped at any time.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

Of course, but it's silly to imply that the government is just some sort of Neverland-ish resource. The government is funded primarily by the non well-to-do.

I never said nor implied the U.S. government is Neverland-ish. I simply made the point that they have a much better, and more regular, supply of available cash (how do you think FEMA manage?) than charities do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegEnigma View Post

I wouldn't call trillions in debt "rich."

It's one of the richest countries in the world. It's certainly a lot richer than the U.K. - according to the CIA's World Factbook: 'The US has the largest and most technologically powerful economy in the world, with a per capita GDP of $46,000' wheras the U.K. has a per capita GDP of $35,000 - yet the U.K. government still finds money to have funds available to asist people in this kind of situation.
#19 Old 10-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:

It's one of the richest countries in the world. It's certainly a lot richer than the U.K. - according to the CIA's World Factbook: 'The US has the largest and most technologically powerful economy in the world, with a per capita GDP of $46,000' wheras the U.K. has a per capita GDP of $35,000 - yet the U.K. government still finds money to have funds available to asist people in this kind of situation.

You cannot adequately measure how rich a government is by the money its economy produces alone, much like you cannot measure individual wealth by looking at one's income alone. If every year, a person makes $500,000 and spends $800,000, is he/she rich?

You're missing half of the equation. A high GDP is nice and all, but in order to truly see how "rich" a country is, you need to compare GDP to debt/spending... and any recent measurement certainly would not make the US look all that good.
#20 Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Banned

Just this last year the UK has surpassed the USA in per capita income. In other words, the average Brit has more money in their pocket than the average American.
#21 Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Beginner

O.K. well they WERE rich then. It's still a developed country. There should be funds in place for unforeseen events like these.
#22 Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:

I've never paid more than $15 per month for renter's insurance. I'm sure most people can scrape up $15 a month even if it means giving something else up - internet, cable, a meal out once a month, cigarettes, drinking water instead of soda, etc. Hell, I could probably go for a walk each day and find 50 cents on the sidewalk.

As others have said this typically falls on the insurance company. If there is no insurance then the people need to find help from local charities.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#23 Old 10-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I've never paid more than $15 per month for renter's insurance. I'm sure most people can scrape up $15 a month even if it means giving something else up - internet, cable, a meal out once a month, cigarettes, drinking water instead of soda, etc. Hell, I could probably go for a walk each day and find 50 cents on the sidewalk.

As others have said this typically falls on the insurance company. If there is no insurance then the people need to find help from local charities.

And as someone else pointed out, when it's a choice between food or insurance, people will choose food. Don't you think the people who are dieing because they can't afford hospital fees would get Medicare if they could afford it? Also when you put Medicare and renter's insurance together, it's even more money.

P.S. that 50 cents you might find on the sidewalk could be 50 cents that someone needed towards their groceries. And it's still theft to take something that doesn't belong to you, even if you don't know who does belong to.
#24 Old 10-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:

P.S. that 50 cents you might find on the sidewalk could be 50 cents that someone needed towards their groceries. And it's still theft to take something that doesn't belong to you, even if you don't know who does belong to.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page