How to get rid of a nuisance mocking bird? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Beginner

The past few nights there has been a mockingbird outside my window singing away from about 12:00 to 4:00 AM! I'm trying to sleep! My mom and I went outside and threw a big cup full of water and some bits of mulch into the bush/tree to try to scare it away but it has been back two nights in a row. What can I do?

I want to strangle the bird!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Beginner

have you tried sleeping with a fan by the bed? i have mine on every night, it drowns out any other noises outside or whatever. i had to start doing it when i lived in a big city cause the traffic sounds outside would keep me up

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Beginner

Maybe get (or make) a bird feeder and put it away from your window. Have a little perch on it so it can sing, take a break for a snack, and not bother you. Dunno if that'll work, but worth a try.
#4 Old 05-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Beginner

I used to have a crow that would knock on my window every morning. We scared it away by putting a large colorful stained glass parrot on the other side. I don't know if something like that would work on your case since it's not interested in the window itself, but it's worth a try.
#5 Old 05-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Beginner

oh yeah you can buy those owl decoy figurines designed to keep pigeons away from rooftops. maybe that'd help. the idea is that owls sometimes prey on smaller birds so they won't want to nest where they think an owl is nested nearby

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#6 Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Beginner

Starter pistol?
#7 Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Banned

earplugs?
#8 Old 05-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Beginner

I thought about ear plugs but then I probably wont hear my clock in the morning. I might try to put some food out or turn the sprinkler on.

If it comes to it I'll see about buying a fake owl.
#9 Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Beginner

I sleep in earplugs and my alarm clock still wakes me up. Unless you're a really heavy sleeper, you ought to be fine just turning the volume up.
#10 Old 05-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Beginner

If you can turn the volume up.
#11 Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Beginner

Get a cat The first sign will wake up the cat and he/she will run towards the bird and stay at the window looking at it. The bird will scare to death and fly to the next tree to bother the next neighbor.
#12 Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

have you tried sleeping with a fan by the bed?

I like to sleep with one of my fans in my bed!

I really don't like the title of this thread. 'Getting rid of' sounds so negative and derogatory to animals which have as much right as us to their habitat.
jumpingspider22 likes this.
#13 Old 05-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalleah View Post

I thought about ear plugs but then I probably wont hear my clock in the morning. I might try to put some food out or turn the sprinkler on.

If it comes to it I'll see about buying a fake owl.

where is your computer? most computers can be used as alarm clocks and that should be loud enough.
#14 Old 05-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Beginner

It was raining all day yesterday so I guess the bird found some shelter. Hopefully he wont be back!
#15 Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:

The past few nights there has been a mockingbird outside my window singing away from about 12:00 to 4:00 AM! I'm trying to sleep! My mom and I went outside and threw a big cup full of water and some bits of mulch into the bush/tree to try to scare it away but it has been back two nights in a row. What can I do?

maybe it's just me, but I love hearing a Mockingbird singing at night.
#16 Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

Me too.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#17 Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:

It's just you.

No, I love birdsongs a great deal, (well, a mockingbird's isn't so much a "song") but ANYTHING that repeatedly wakes me up in the middle of the night becomes quickly annoying. I need the few hours of sleep I get.

I've had good luck with white plastic grocery bags tied in trees to flap in the wind; also, once we had a big plastic owl in our cherry tree and it worked well - they aren't expensive.
#18 Old 05-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

It's lovely. I'd be happy to have one singing outside my window.

We have wagtails that sing at night and I just found this:

'I recently had a comment from a reader about Willie Wagtails calling at night. This reader and his wife were constantly being woken at night by the loud calling of a Willie Wagtail in the tree outside their bedroom window. It seems that this was driving them crazy and wanted to know if I’d heard of this happening before, and what can be done about it'.

'Unfortunately for my reader there is no easy solution I know of for this problem. Moving to sleep in a room in a different part of the house may minimise the impact of the noise. Double glazed glass and better insulation may also help. Wearing ear plugs is another possible way out.

A change of attitude might help too. If a native bird is calling outside my bedroom window at 2am in the morning I can respond in several ways. I can get very agitated and annoyed and consequently will have a restless night. I could also take a more phlegmatic view and ignore it, not letting it get to me. I take the same approach when sleeping in an unfamiliar setting with plenty of traffic noise. One soon learns - by choice - to block out the noise, becoming accustomed to it. Or I can delight in the fact that this lovely little creature chooses to reside in MY garden. This positive feeling allows one to relax and get back to sleep'.
#19 Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Kiz
Beginner

Quote:

Your mum doesn't sound like a very nice person. And I thought I was intolerant! The bird probably lives there. Birds are lovely, just suck it up and put up with it. Just put the pillow over your ears to block the sound and suck it up. Sooner or later you'll get used to it and won't even hear it.

A change of attitude might help, as Bof said. Instead of "what a racket", go to "WOW! I have birds outside! How sweet is that?" When I moved from the inner city (almost no birds) to wear I am now (bird city) I was woken every morning by the birds. Those things can be louder than any alarm clock. After a while it just became like traffic noise at my old place, something I slept right through. If you are upset at one mocking bird you should try 20 cockatoos in a screaming match with a pair of kookaburras. Kookaburras are the worst. Not only are they noisy they are rude buggers, always laughing at your bed hair and daggy nightgown.
Waikikamukau likes this.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#20 Old 05-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Banned

we have canadian geese on the lake outside my window. i hear them squabbling and chatting and having little discussions and indulging in friendly banter with each other periodically through the night.

its quite funny to imagine what they're saying to each other. after a while you do get used to it. it seems quiet when they're not there now. i understand how it might be annoying too, but they do kind of have a right to be there.

if you're worried about not hearing the alarm with earplugs in, you could try some kind of vibrating alarm (ok, nobody make any weird jokes).... you can get one for about $20+ and put it under your pillow.
#21 Old 05-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

if you're worried about not hearing the alarm with earplugs in, you could try some kind of vibrating alarm (ok, nobody make any weird jokes).... you can get one for about $20+ and put it under your pillow.

There are wrist watches that wake you around a given time, but when your sleep pattern is at the right stage for gentle waking (Rem, Rom, Ram or whatever) but what I'd like is one of those dawn simulator lights that increases in intensity over quite a long period. I'll find links later, maybe.
#22 Old 05-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Beginner

Are you asking how to kill a mockingbird?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#23 Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Are you asking how to kill a mockingbird?

I think she's trying to re-write it as a vegan-friendly story.
#24 Old 05-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Kiz
Beginner

TNS, if she's hell bent on driving native boards from their place of residence it's not exactly "vegan friendly".

I immediately thought of this old thread, http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ht=mockingbird when I saw this new thread posted. VeganJoe made a very similar topic in order to make a point, then hey, low and behold, someone comes along making a very similar topic with a straight face.

#25 Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Beginner

Well, I realize running the bird out isn't vegan friendly, I was responding more to R_C's tongue-in-cheek comment i.e. she wasn't trying to "kill a mocking bird" ...........though..... she DID comment on wanting to strangle it which, would indeed be "killing" it, which would not be vegan at all.

Never mind, it's not worth the bother to explain ...
#26 Old 05-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Kiz
Beginner

Heh, I was being tongue in cheek, too. People really shouldn't take half the things I say as seriously as they do.

#27 Old 05-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

People really shouldn't take half the things I say as seriously as they do.

Which half?
#28 Old 05-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Kiz
Beginner

That's for me to know and you to find out, as my mum would say.

#29 Old 05-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

That's for me to know and you to find out, as my mum would say.

I wish I'd listened to what my mum said.
#30 Old 05-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

I wish I'd listened to what my mum said.

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all? I wish you'd listened to your mum too.

www.thesaucyvegan.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page