Does life get easier as you get older? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 PM

Someone in the teen forum said that they've been told this.

Does life get easier?

IMO, it gets harder. But more rewarding, and more fulfilling. And more complicated. (But with complication comes better rewards, I suppose.) But it's harder, more stressful, less controlled, and more volatile.

Sometimes I wish I could go back to the simplicity of my teens. Ah for the wisdom of years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2007, 10:02 PM

Depends on your lifestyle I think. Mines become less hard, less complicated, easier and happier. But Ive made a point of making it that way. I could've easily got tangled up in stuff that makes life complicated like children and careers and having "goals", but I chose not to because I find it boring and kind of hard work.
#3 Old 04-18-2007, 10:04 PM

Life has gotten harder for me. As Kali mentioned, throwing goals into the mix makes things difficult. I didn't have goal in my early 20's and life was pretty cakey and enjoyable.

eta: though i'm hoping, as Amy pointed out, that the rewards will be worth the current stress.
#4 Old 04-18-2007, 10:06 PM

You have a good point, that it depends almost entirely on your childhood. I suppose a major part of it is relative control.

I don't have or want children, because they exponentially complicate life. But, I do have a career and it does make my life more difficult. Then again, I make about twice as much as I would without one, and can afford a lot of comforts that I couldn't otherwise. And perhaps not having a career introduces a lot more stress & complication that having a career avoids. Like, being able to pay the bills or afford things like a night out with friends.
#5 Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 PM

And, I suppose, as you get older, your perspective & scope change. Prom is such a HUGE deal as a teen (well, to many) but seems extremely trivial 15 years later...
#6 Old 04-18-2007, 10:12 PM

I would say alot depends on ....Luck........Career choice.......People affiliations.......The general health of the country.........Job creation.....and your personal desire to do better.
#7 Old 04-18-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

eta: though i'm hoping, as Amy pointed out, that the rewards will be worth the current stress.

I think if you enjoy hard work or enjoy the process of getting there just as much as the end result, I think it will be worth it for you. But if youre a bit of a laid back slacker like me, the struggle is not worth it imo
#8 Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 PM

It might be worth it when you're 50 and tired.
#9 Old 04-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Kiz

Life has become easier for me. Definitely. I can't say I look back on my teens with much joy or contentment at all, but my current life is filled with both these emotions. My teens were not simple times at all. I don't mean worrying about "the Prom", either, my teens were certainly the rough trot of my life.

ETA: Partly I have less external problems, but mostly because I'm wiser, stronger, older, craftier. I now know who I am. I have faith in myself. I know I can overcome adversity. I know a rough trot does not mean the road ends in a precipice. I know how better to deal with bleakness and despair, and I know they will not overcome me. I now know it is not only what life throws at you that matters, it's how you deal with it.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#10 Old 04-18-2007, 10:44 PM

Definitely not easier. A lot depends on choices, yes, but circumstances beyond your control (or knowledge) do tend to throw things off the path you think you've carefully and thoughtfully chosen.

More rewarding though? Yes, a thousand times yes.
#11 Old 04-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Kiz

I'd agree with more rewarding. Easier and more rewarding. Definitely don't want to go back to teenagehood!

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#12 Old 04-18-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

Depends on your lifestyle I think. Mines become less hard, less complicated, easier and happier. But Ive made a point of making it that way. I could've easily got tangled up in stuff that makes life complicated like children and careers and having "goals", but I chose not to because I find it boring and kind of hard work.

Thats easy for you to say when your last names Gotti and you live in a grass palace

m8itcanw8.com
#13 Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 PM

I think the inverse is true. As you grow older, life becomes more dull. But I guess it depends on your childhood.
#14 Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Banned

It is all about perception. Happiness is a personal choice.
#15 Old 04-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Banned

It's roughly the same.

Quite odd.

ebola
#16 Old 04-19-2007, 12:45 AM

I kept waiting for life to get easier. It never happened. I'm finally realizing that, if anything, life gets more and more challenging. HOWEVER, I get better and better at dealing with all of life's challenges, so the net result is positive. It took me a while to realize that even tho it got harder, I was getting MUCH better at it.

Once I saw that, I stopped fighting it so hard.

My 40th birthday is around the corner... I've been very contemplative lately...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#17 Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 AM

I wouldn't say my life is easier but it, and my relationship with myself, is getting better. Ar 22 I am more confident and comfortable with myself, I have really awesome friends and I'm equipped with certain experience.

I sometimes wish I had the naivety that I used to. Like believing that as long as you are pretty and have a degree, some friends and maybe a flat close to the city you're set, when I was a teenager. Now I realise life is a hell of a lot more complicated than that. And I definitely stress more about careers, superannuation (!) and if I'll ever get into the property market slash be in the situation to begin a family should I get the overwhelming desire to (and I have a feeling I will). Plus the whole finding meaning for my life thing on top of all that.
#18 Old 04-19-2007, 06:39 AM

no, i definitely dont think life gets easier. for me, life has only become more and more stressful with each successive year. i'm hoping at some point that will plateau, or even decline because i'm about at my limit.

but i also don't agree that life or its challenges are more rewarding.
#19 Old 04-19-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I kept waiting for life to get easier. It never happened. I'm finally realizing that, if anything, life gets more and more challenging. HOWEVER, I get better and better at dealing with all of life's challenges, so the net result is positive. It took me a while to realize that even tho it got harder, I was getting MUCH better at it.

This is exactly more-or-less what I was coming here to post this morning. The problems and obstacles seem to increase in scope and complexity, but one's ability to deal with and overcome them seems to become stronger as things are dealt with and overcome.

I've come to (slowly) begin to see that there is rarely anything in life that is an insurmountable, "throw one's hands in the air" problem. The solution may not be pleasant, and in fact it might downright suck, but there is generally an answer to everything if we give it time and actively seek it out.

#20 Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 AM

Like what has been said above, it's all about how you deal with it. There are always challenges in life, no matter what age. Challenges you faced as a kid may seem trivial now, but back then certain things could be a big deal since you were young. But as you grow and learn you become better at facing and dealing with the obsticals that come so things that used to stress you out when you were younger don't anymore. And the challenges you are facing now may not seem too bad later on in life (of course there are exceptions to this).
#21 Old 04-19-2007, 09:31 AM

I thought my life was soooo horribly tough when I was a kid. I would like to go back in time and smack young me on the head.
#22 Old 04-19-2007, 09:53 AM

For me the only way life is easier is that with age I care less about what other people think of me and I'm a lot less awkward socially. I was very shy as a teen, never dated or anything, and always felt out of place, which caused me some sadness and anxiety. These days I'm much more relaxed in social settings and with myself.

Life is much harder in terms of responsibility (ie. having a job, managing money, taking care of the house, etc.). I just didn't have to think about these things as a kid. I plan to have a kid in the next couple of years, so that will be another whole set of responsibilities. I think if the things that you feel responsible for are important to you, responsibility can bring great rewards though. So while, no, I wouldn't say adulthood is easier than the teen years, it can bring a whole new set of emotional benefits if you make smart choices.
#23 Old 04-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Ankle Biter

I think it gets harder.

I'm not a pessimist, but I'm surely more realistic than I was even 10 years ago. Thankfully, a certain degree of honesty comes into your life as you get older. I have the best family life, the best friends, and I'm in the best place professionally and spiritually than I have ever been, and that's very satisfying. But I've lost friends, I've had hearaches, and I've had disappointments. I know that when I'm in a relatively "good" period, I have to take the time to thoroughly enjoy it, because nothing stays the same. I don't take anything for granted - and I guess that feels a little bit sad.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#24 Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Better? Definitely so far. Easier I'm not so sure about but I'm leaning on yes. I've had a chance to work on those areas of life that I intrinsically suck at, and although I'll always suck at them to some degree I don't suck nearly as hard as I once did. Therefore, life is good.
#25 Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I think the inverse is true. As you grow older, life becomes more dull. But I guess it depends on your childhood.

My life at 49 is much less dull than it's been in the past. I think one's life is as dull as they choose it to be. It seems easirer to choose a non-dull life at 49 than earlier on in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

It is all about perception. Happiness is a personal choice.

I highly agree with this.

--

I think that overall life has gotten easier as I've gotten older, but in all actually some parts get easier and some parts get more difficult as life goes on.

I think that the decisions you make earlier in your life determine whether life gets easier or harder as you get older. For example if you are able to purchase a house when you are younger or rent an rent controlled apartment that will suit you for your life then your housing expenses get easier as you grow older because you've fixed those costs. This means you can have fewer money worries and more free cash for other things in your life.

Your family of origin also has a great deal to do with whether life gets easier or harder. Depending on your family's socio-economic standing you may have a hard time as a child and young adult, but then by improving that for one's self have an easier time later in life. Or the reverse can be true, if you grow up in a family of plenty that doesn't plan on continuing their contribution to your life entering adulthood can be quite shocking and difficult.

So for me, life is easier in that I have more freedom now that my kids are out of the house. But at the same time my health issues concern me more and my mortality is more apparent to me than it was before.
#26 Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Baby Love

My life has it's peaks and valleys. The one constant I enjoy as I get older is the experience I gain overcoming the obstacles along the way. Its given me a lot more confidence and pride in myself knowing I can pull myself up from personal disaster and keep going. I've also learned whats important in life. I was a terribly depressed child so I can't say being a kid (or an adult) is easy. However, as I get older I've realized the things I worried about really weren't worth stressing over. My fears of what may happen were actually far worse than dealing with those things when they did happen. Despite the added responsibilities of getting older, I find the knowledge I gain to be emotionally/spiritually freeing.

Another vote for 'more fufilling'.
#27 Old 04-19-2007, 12:36 PM

Right now I'm working very hard to make life easier later (live like I have no $ so it all goes into savings, etc.) I know alot of people who only work as much as they have to, and for them when they're older and have no plan, house, way to retire, etc. I think things will be harder for them and easier for me. I would rather do the grunt work up front and not be 70 years old and wondering where my next bill payment is going to come from. My life now is much better than my life 1,5, or 10 years ago but that has to do with moving away from a not very healthy relationship with my parents and having things more under my own control. I have more responsibilities than I did as a teen but most things are the result of my actions, not the actions of my psycho sister, my alcoholic mother, etc.

I also really enjoy my relationship with my family more now that I live 200 miles away, so that has gotten easier. My parents are friends and drinking buddies now, they don't actually parent anymore and that is a role to which they're much better suited.
#28 Old 04-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

You have a good point, that it depends almost entirely on your childhood. I suppose a major part of it is relative control.

Indeed. Once you've got your relatives under control life's pretty peachy
#29 Old 04-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp3 View Post

My life at 49 is much less dull than it's been in the past. I think one's life is as dull as they choose it to be. It seems easirer to choose a non-dull life at 49 than earlier on in my life.

I agree.. only I'm not 49.
#30 Old 04-19-2007, 02:58 PM

I wouldn't go back to my teenage years for anything in the world. At almost 40, I finally feel settled and find enjoyment in the simpler things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page