Cooking aborted foetuses for food in China (WARNING: Graphic photos) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Vegan Police Officer

At first, I thought this was some of kind "joke". Sort of like the bonsai kittens.

But after doing some searches, I'm thinking it may be true. Do some Chinese people really cook and eat aborted foetuses? See the photos in the link below:

***WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTOS***

http://www.trdd.org/BU0601IP.HTM

For a Westerner, this does seem a bit gross. But then I suppose there's not much difference in eating a human foetus than eating a baby lamb or pig, is there?

Am trying to be as objective as possible - trying to not let my cultural prejudices interfere. But am finding it hard...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Beginner

Um ... WARNING: Photos are disgusting. Do not click link if you have a weak stomach or just ate.

I don't know whether or not this is valid, but it's disgusting either way.
#3 Old 02-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Beginner

I couldn't find anything about it on Snopes.com, but I think it is probably (and hopefully!) not true. Sounds too much like one of those "shock value" things, like bosani kittens.
#4 Old 02-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Beginner

Aha! This is fiction.

Linky

Quote:
These eRumors about babies being a delicacy in Taiwan or China are a hoax. The realistic looking pictures are of a controversial Chinese Artist from Shanghai named Zhu Yu. According to the Taipei Times newspaper, he has an artistic performance titled "Infatuation on Injuries." A part of the presentation is a scene he calls "Man-Eater" during which he appears to be eating from a cooked human fetus. In his interview with the Taipei Times, he admitted that it is a real fetus that was stolen from a medical school and that he cooked himself.

#5 Old 02-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Beginner

I found this one:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/cannibal/fetus.asp

I no longer post here after the disagreements and exodus related to the sale of VB back in 2012. (See my profile page.) 
#6 Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Beginner

I'm not likely to look, due to this being lunchtime and I find it about as disgusting as just reading about people (Westerners) eating placenta stew. Seems like cannibalism to me, no matter how it's justified...
#7 Old 02-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Beginner

Umm... I...

think I'm going to be... sick...
#8 Old 02-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Beginner

#9 Old 02-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

I found this one:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/cannibal/fetus.asp

Thank goodness it's false!
#10 Old 02-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Beginner

What kind of sick people make these "jokes"?

#11 Old 02-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Beginner

wow thats some real lookin pictures
#12 Old 02-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Beginner

Wait, whats wrong eating it?
#13 Old 02-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Vegan Police Officer

The articles that say it's false do not refer to the pictures I linked to.

I agree that the photo of the guy eating the foetus looks staged. But the others look real enough to me to be true.

I mean some Chinese still think the the powder from a rhino horn will make them virile, so I don't see why some ignorant people would not believe that baby foetuses are good for them.

In some African tribes, they eat human hearts to be invincible.

It's not far-fetched at all.
#14 Old 02-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Beginner

I wonder where they got the whole fetus. In abortions, they come out in pieces.

I think someone had way too much time on his hands. But it's still disgusting.
#15 Old 02-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Banned

what strikes me as odd, is that if you were even going to eat a foetus in a stew, you would chop it up first, wouldn't you? i've not got much education is cooking dead creatures, or in preparing them for cooking, but i don't recall seeing many, if any complexly formed creatures (as aposed to small fishes and snails and prawns and clams, etc) being so completely intact like that inside a prepared meal.

even with chicken, or pig, i thought it was deemed more efficient, hygenic or just plain easier to cook evenly and eat, if you at least removed some of the ickier inside bits, or even just superflous outside stuff like hair, before cooking it? it'd be really tricky to eat a whole foetus like that- especially in a soup- you'd have to fish it out and break bits off, on a plate, with a knife and fork. you couldn't really do it in a bowl, with chopsticks, could you?

also, i saw the article was on an anti abortion site, which cites the article source as being UK LifeLeague. the lifeleague website is erm... interesting. as well as being anti-abortion, lifeleague also seem to be very much traditional strict christian 'family roles and moral values' based, as well as anti divorce, anti feminist, anti homosexual/pervert (they clump homosexuals right in there with perverts and paedophiles.... how inclusive of them!) and anti sex-education for teens.

i'm sure that both groups have a very clear agenda in posting these images, and so its not exactly unbiased material. i think its staged, and has been created/used as a shock tactic.
#16 Old 02-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I wonder where they got the whole fetus. In abortions, they come out in pieces.

Not always. Bleah.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#17 Old 02-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Sometimes piglets are roasted whole, so a foetus could also be cooked whole. Birds are also cooked whole (like chickens and turkeys).

I didn't know that in abortions, the foetesus came out in pieces. I would think that this, as IamJen says, not always the case. Also, perhaps some of these foetuses (if they exist and this is not a hoax) come from miscarriages.

I don't think it is so surprising that some people would want to eat foetesus. The more I think of it, the more it seems plausible.
#18 Old 02-14-2007, 01:18 AM
Kiz
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

What kind of sick people make these "jokes"?

Yeah, I've seen this artist's work before. I don't think it's a joke so much as a statement made. Not a great deal different from some of the stuff animal lib or PeTA comes up with, just a slightly different message.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#19 Old 02-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Beginner

i seen that before it was on rotten.com once, didn't they have like a supermarket of babies in bottles? their was also one about a family eating a placenta as a celebration, but i think thats a uh...scientology thing.
#20 Old 02-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Beginner

I think the snopes article makes some interesting points, including,

Quote:

Our knowledge of the existence of cultural differences (even if we don't know exactly what those differences are) helps prepare the soil for wild rumors like this one to sprout in, because this tidbit of "information" seems to fit so well with what we think we know about a deeply mistrusted foreign culture....

The taboos against eating one's own are universal, and rumors about violations of these taboos are used to vilify members of competing cultures. Think of them as peacetime atrocity rumors, because they serve the same purpose, albeit on a smaller scale.

#21 Old 02-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Vegan Police Officer

That's not quite true about not eating one's own being universal. Cannibalism is still very much alive in some cultures.
#22 Old 02-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Beginner

i don't find it all that disturbing. i mean, it's certainly oogy but no oogyer than eating other meat. and what else would you do with them?

i drive past cemetaries and wonder why we are saving up all these dead bodies.
#23 Old 02-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidneylust View Post

their was also one about a family eating a placenta as a celebration, but i think thats a uh...scientology thing.

I don't think that's just a scientology thing, I think a lot of women do it because it's nutrititious and it's a part of their own body rather than the foetus. I dunno about feeding it to the whole family though...
#24 Old 02-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Beginner

yes yes, Chinese rove barbecue fetus!

quickie quickie! get more fetus need more fetus make rots of barbecue!
#25 Old 02-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Beginner

#26 Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

The articles that say it's false do not refer to the pictures I linked to.

I agree that the photo of the guy eating the foetus looks staged. But the others look real enough to me to be true.

I mean some Chinese still think the the powder from a rhino horn will make them virile, so I don't see why some ignorant people would not believe that baby foetuses are good for them.

In some African tribes, they eat human hearts to be invincible.

It's not far-fetched at all.

except that its BS, but not far-fetched BS?
#27 Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Savannah: I lived once in a country where the hearts of the enemies were cut out of their bodies to be eaten. This was superstition. But what if some people believed that foetuses were HEALTHY to eat? It's not a gross idea, just something that is unusual for Western society.

I agree with Scarlet that the pictures are not so disturbing. I was surprised to see that a moderator had added all those stars and bolded letters with WARNINGS and what-nots. I think watching the 5 o'clock news on television is often far more disturbing that those pictures.
#28 Old 02-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Beginner

I personally found those pictures to be highly disturbing. I, for one, am glad there is a clear warning.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#29 Old 02-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Beginner

lol. you said what i was thinking. a friend of mine from hong kong did confirm (?) though that they'll eat anything with legs except a chair. grain of salt. humor cap on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

yes yes, Chinese rove barbecue fetus!

quickie quickie! get more fetus need more fetus make rots of barbecue!

#30 Old 05-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Beginner

Meat is murder in any form.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page