Vegan Candy Corn? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-06-2006, 06:07 PM

I really want to find some vegan candy corn! Or at least some that doesn't have egg whites or gelatin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 PM

Yummm....sorry, I don't know of any but would love to know if anybody else does. I miss candy corn from my non-vegan days. I'm sure there has to be some brand out there that sells vegan candy corn.
#3 Old 10-06-2006, 08:19 PM

Google says: Well, no vegan stuff, but "Goelitz Confections brand candy corn" is "strict vegetarian-" just beeswax. Made by Jelly Belly and sold at Albertsons.
#4 Old 10-09-2006, 03:48 PM

The vegan holy grail Candy Corn
#5 Old 10-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Agh now I'm craving some candy corn.

I didn't even know it wasn't vegan. Halloween won't be much fun this year...
#6 Old 10-11-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Cringe* View Post

Google says: Well, no vegan stuff, but "Goelitz Confections brand candy corn" is "strict vegetarian-" just beeswax. Made by Jelly Belly and sold at Albertsons.

I'd kill for some... so much so I think I might let the beeswax slide..

I haven't had candy corn in YEARS because every kind I see has egg whites and/or gelatin. It's probably the only thing I actually miss since going vegan. I never heard of Albertson's before, but I did a search and there are apparently a bunch of locations near me. Might have to go on a quick candy corn run tonight....
#7 Old 10-11-2006, 07:26 PM

I know if there was a company making vegan candy corn we could make them rich....I love candy corn.
#8 Old 10-12-2006, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I'd kill for some... so much so I think I might let the beeswax slide..

Same here...

It's kind of wierd that there are absolutely no brands making a vegan version with agar-agar or something though.
#9 Old 10-17-2006, 01:43 PM

#10 Old 10-17-2006, 02:33 PM

yeah. um... i think it is about time our world is ready for some vegan candycorn. aside from egg whites and gelitan, im sure it would taste just as good. id try it out
#11 Old 10-17-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrykat View Post

http://www.egreetings.com/display.pd...h=8153&c=eg188 the candy corn song

"your candy better not suck!"
#12 Old 10-20-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrykat View Post

http://www.egreetings.com/display.pd...h=8153&c=eg188 the candy corn song

#13 Old 10-20-2006, 08:20 PM

I was never able to buy any without honey or beeswax... But I can make some.

This recipe is easily made vegan:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...orn47836.shtml
#14 Old 10-20-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

I was never able to buy any without honey or beeswax... But I can make some.

This recipe is easily made vegan:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...orn47836.shtml

What can you replace the milk powder with in the recipe?
#15 Old 10-20-2006, 09:23 PM
#16 Old 10-22-2006, 08:28 AM

i'm fine with honey or beeswax or something... i just want some candy corn without gelatin or any form of egg or any artificial colors and flavors! is that really so difficult??? i found a bag that was maybe 2 ounces connected to some teddy bear at barnes and nobles last year... and they didn't have any other candy corn... but that was a miracle in itself... yeah but every candy corn has egg albumen, egg white, solid egg something, or gelatin! i loooove candy corn and i can't find any! and the marshmallows i can find aren't that satisfactory... i guess i'm still used to hoofmellows... BUT IF ANYONE COULD FIND ONE WITH HONEY OR BEESWAX OR SOMETHING THAT'S VEGANS SANS BEE WHATEVER THEN I'D BE AN INCREDIBLY HAPPY PERSON IN TIME FOR HALLOWEEN!
#17 Old 10-22-2006, 11:15 AM

(*whispers*) ASmith2000: Your post is coming across rudely. I am sure it's not intentional.

I am going to try making my own this year. It sounds tedious, but I would have vegan candy corn. I shall report back on this.
#18 Old 10-22-2006, 01:54 PM

I also miss candy corn. I just finished watching "the Secret Life of Halloween" on the Food Channel and they show how to make candy corn. Apparently, the original recipe of candy corn (which started back in 1880's by Goelitz Candy Company which is now Jelly Belly) was just sugar, butter and corn syrup. There wasn't any gelatin, egg whites or beeswax. To get the different colored layers of orange and yellow you just add food colors to the sugar, butter and corn syrup recipe. They would roll into long strips the different colored mixes, side by side, and cut into little triangles. It looked pretty easy.

Unfortunately they didn't give the exact measurements or any other instructions. But I am sure you can find it online somewhere.

But if you don't care about the different colors you can just eat it white (that white tip was always my favorite part anyhow!).

Oh, the bakery that was demonstrating the making of candy corn on the show was Boule in Los Angeles. So, if anyone lives there, maybe they have it for Halloween. I didn't see it for sale on their website.

I am looking for Edwards and Sons Organic Butterscotch candies (it is vegan). Vegan Unlimited used to sell it but they don't have it anymore and I can't find a place to buy it online or at stores. If anyone knows where I can get it, let me know.

queen

(ps. if you are ok with some beeswax, i heard that Jelly Belly's Candy corn, just has beeswax and is otherwise vegan)
#19 Old 10-25-2006, 11:52 AM

I'm pretty sure I found some vegan candy corn today. It's made by Elegant Gourmet and they do have a website. When you go to their website, look under "Halloween Candy" and you'll see it. I'm pretty sure it's vegan because unlike other candy corn it doesn't contain any gelatin, egg whites, beeswax, or glycerine. Also, Jelly Belly makes an almost-vegan candy corn, but it does have beeswax. But the Elegant Gourmet candy corn seems to be 100% vegan, as far as I can tell.
#20 Old 10-25-2006, 12:38 PM

http://www.elegantgourmet.com/eg/pro...9&CategoryID=5 I called the contact number and was told the natural waxes were not beeswax, she was unsure about the natural flavors and would not say it was vegan whatever that means. The sugar may be bone-char who knows but I think this is probably as close as one could get to vegan candy corn. Thanx libbyloo
#21 Old 10-27-2006, 05:01 PM

got some jelly belly candy corn< it has beeswax so isn't vegan> It was good but I ate too much of it. I am good candy cornwise until next year....feeling kinda queasy.
#22 Old 10-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I am going to be ordering some of that elegant gourmet stuff... It looks delicious.

Gelatin wouldn't be under natural flavors, would it?
#23 Old 10-27-2006, 07:06 PM

I don't think so, I think they would have to list gelatin as some kinds aren't kosher? also I think muslims avoid foods with gelatin in it as it could be made from pork. I could be wrong but I am preatty sure they have to list it. I wish the Jelly Belly brand didn't have beeswax. I can't call myself Vegan but someday I hope to be.
#24 Old 10-28-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

I am going to be ordering some of that elegant gourmet stuff... It looks delicious.

Gelatin wouldn't be under natural flavors, would it?

In the US, no, it wouldn't.
#25 Old 10-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Ahhh I am definitely ordering some of that.
#26 Old 10-31-2006, 09:39 AM

I love candy corn! Havn't had it in so long.
#27 Old 08-19-2007, 07:28 PM

unfortunately, confectioner's glaze (found in the Elegant Gourmet candy corn) is a non-vegan (insect) ingredient. Back to the search!
#28 Old 10-18-2007, 12:48 PM

i don't care if it came from any insect... i don't eat insect derivatives that much but i'm not object to eating honey or beeswax in it... i just care if it has eggs, dairy, or artificial flavors and colors... i've looked everywhere i can't find any! has anyone else had any luck?
#29 Old 10-18-2007, 12:49 PM

oh and no gelatin of course...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page