I think my boss is trying to get me to quit. (An Anni Rant) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-26-2006, 05:34 PM

Okay my boss has never been my biggest fan and vice versa, but recently he has been really nit picky and getting me for the little things with out letting me explain myself (ie; why I had open chips on my desk right after break, I hadn't had a chance to put them away, but he yelled at me anyway).

I really think he is trying to open the door for me to quit or get me fired. He has picked on some of the co workers I hang out with too. I was talking to my mom and told her that I am not going to give him the satisfaction of quitting until he fires me.

It helps a lot that the majority of the people at work like me and stick up for me all the time. I just have to put up with him until May when I am out of class for the summer and I then I can switch my schedule to days and avoid him at most costs.

Okay...I think that is it. Thank you for letting me get that out of my system. I just needed to vent to some one. I will update you on the situstion.

Anni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2006, 06:11 PM

Wow, sorry your boss is being so difficult. I hope you can hang in there until after May, like you said.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#3 Old 02-26-2006, 07:14 PM

Don't let him get to you. Hang in there.
#4 Old 02-26-2006, 08:45 PM

I believe it's against the law to do what your employer's doing--assuming he is actually acting intentionally unfairly. It's called constructive dismissal (http://www.answers.com/topic/constru...ssal?method=22) and you'd have the right to sue if it were serious enough. You may not want to worry about it if you only have to put up with it till may, but the option's there. Employers aren't just allowed to do that kind of stuff.
#5 Old 02-27-2006, 07:31 PM

Annikat, I had a boss like that. He bullied me for months, only spoke to me to criticise me, blamed me for everything that went wrong, never listened to anything I said, the list went on. It was horrible. In the end I did quit - but for a better paying job with a much nicer boss. And I made sure he knew I was getting a better offer when I left too. Some people can't change, and in the end I figured that my mental health was more valuable then any pay cheque.
#6 Old 02-28-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

I believe it's against the law to do what your employer's doing--assuming he is actually acting intentionally unfairly. It's called constructive dismissal (http://www.answers.com/topic/constru...ssal?method=22) and you'd have the right to sue if it were serious enough. You may not want to worry about it if you only have to put up with it till may, but the option's there. Employers aren't just allowed to do that kind of stuff.

And even if you're only there till May... there will be others going your path after you. I say do something to make him think.. Do you have a Human Resources dept. there ? Consider filing a grievance........Even if it doesn't go through, he'll think twice before he does that sort of crap again.. There's one here at my work that does that with folks he'd like to be rid of, and often for purely attitude clashing, not performance issues. I encourage them to do something, and if it ever came my way it be ballistic-time. Perhaps that's why it doesn't...they might have a clue as to who they can screw ith, and who not to........ Good luck though.
#7 Old 03-01-2006, 09:29 AM

if it were me i'd find a new job. no sense putting up with BS like that, and quitting looks better for your resume than being fired.

on the other hand if you can hold out til may and get onto a different shift he'll probably find someone else to pick on.

i had a job with a boss that hated everyone. he was just a jerk. he just radiated negative energy and made everyone miserable. i figured out how to block him out and he pretty well avoided me from then on.

course at my current job when they want to get rid of someone but don't have valid reason for firing them they just cut their hours back and give them lots of crappy cleaning chores until they quit.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#8 Old 03-01-2006, 09:44 AM

i got bullied at work by my colleagues and now i severely regret quitting & letting them win.hang on in there if you can, hope it gets better for you
#9 Old 03-01-2006, 11:52 AM

I doubt he wants to fire you because then he'd have to pay unemployment for you :P

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 03-01-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

if it were me i'd find a new job. no sense putting up with BS like that, and quitting looks better for your resume than being fired.

What I was going to say. Say it with me everyone, "I can never change my boss". We all fantasize about one day when justice will come to bosses or co-workers who have been making us miserable, but it very rarely happens.

I think you can discuss some problems while they are small, and take a shot at making them better, but often "discussing" problems with certain kinds of bosses just makes things much worse.

I have had bad work situations, and they are soooo stressful, it not worth it to hang in there just for pride. It ruins not just your time at work, but it ruins your health, your personal relationships, your free time. Happiness is the best revenge. This has been a hard lesson for me since I like to fight for the "principle" of things, but after much suffering I realized I must pick my battles and move on to a different job.

As far as unemployment, if a boss makes a workplace so hostile for you that you have to quit, in the US, you can file for unemployment. Being fired for cause (any cause, however trivial) will not get you unemployment. My mother came back to a hostile work environment after being in the hospital. She quit and filed for unemployment. The boss challenged it and my mother sued and won her unemployment.

I am not sure what defines a "hostile workplace" it probably varies by where one lives. But I'm sure the info is out there. One can often get free advice from lawyers by giving them a call, they might tell you if you should go to HR first, or whatever. Most of all, document the problems you are having, make copies of nasty notes, take detailed notes at meetings.

You might also want to check the web and library for information on workplace bullies. It's a topic that has gotten a lot of recent attention.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page