Medicaid and eyeglasses - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-01-2006, 02:30 AM
Banned

Medicaid pays for lenses and frames. They pay for whatever lenses you need, but they only pay for the cheapest junkiest frames. And they only pay for one pair of glasses every 2 years, unless you can prove your eyes are getting very rapidly worse.

So if the hinges on those cheap junky frames wear out in 3 months, as they always do, you are stuck without glasses for 21 months before you can get new glasses. If you say I want the better frames, I'll pay the difference, you can't get them. The optician is not allowed to do that. Nor, once you have told the optician you are on medicaid, are they allowed to sell you the lenses you need and the frames you want, for straight cash. They are only allowed to take medicaid from you -- no cash.

If you are a homeless person, and you need glasses to read and fill out a job application -- too bad. Furthermore, people believe that the reason you don't fill out job applications is that you are mentally ill, when the truth is, that you simply need glasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Medicaid in my area doesnt cover glasses for adults PERIOD, FULL STOP. They will pay for lenses and select frames for kids to age 18 though.
#3 Old 02-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Banned

I wish I qualified for Medicaid!
#4 Old 02-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Beginner

I don't qualify for medicaid, but I can only afford the cheapest frames myself. You learn to deal with it. I found a place locally where I can get lenses and frames both for $40.

If you're homeless, there are social service agencies that can help you. We give out free eyeglasses at the shelter where I work. Sometimes, especially for reading glasses, you don't get the exact fit, you just try on pairs until you find one that helps you see better. You don't get to pick the frames.

The medicaid policy sounds fair to me.
#5 Old 02-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Banned

"you just try on pairs until you find one that helps you see better. You don't get to pick the frames."

I didn't say anything about picking frames. I said the frames don't last 2 years. They don't last 3 months. The hinges break, the ear piece falls away from the face piece. There is no way to reattach them the ear piece to the face place because there is no functional hinge, it is acctually broken, but one or more pieces of it are still embedded in the plastic, and there is no way to replace the old hinge with a new hinge, whether new or used, or to repair the old hinge. Nor is it possible to get new frames that fit the same lenses, since the optician orders a supply of frames that are made in China or Taiwan or Maylasia, and 3 months later they have a whole new stock of entirely different frames from Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Greece.

Why does the frame break? Because instead of allowng the store $4.00 for the well-made frames that last 2 years, they only pay for THE cheapest frames, that cost the store $3.75 -- to save $0.25 -- even the the $4.00 frame last 8 times as long as the $3.75 frames.
#6 Old 02-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Beginner

I spent $120 on my last full pair of glasses from lensecrafters and that was 3 yrs ago and they're still fine.

I wish I could get public assistance. Sucks that as a student, I just have to be poor.

p.s. different organizations also give out glasses for the poor. I can't think of the name right now, but there are other resources.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 02-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Banned

Really Rabid child? My frames from lens-crafters lasted 5 years, and are still fine. Again, you are responding without reading, as you did in the dental thread. To repeat myself, the frames that medicaid pays for are not comparable in quality to decent quality frames you get from lens-Crafters. They truly last only 3 months. Even tho the price of the lens crafters frames, which last at least 5 years, maybe more, is only slightly higher.

apparently you just hate all poor people, and don't want to distinguish between those of us who feel other people should take care of us and don't want to labor to improve our economic situation, and those of us who are trying are damdest to improve our income, but just aren't succeeding at it.
#8 Old 02-02-2006, 02:43 AM
Beginner

You could try using tape to hold together the glasses. That's what I did when my hinges broke. Try and make sure not to drop them, but if they do, tape should work. My first pair of cheap $20 glasses lasted me several years, but the second pair only lasted a few months because I dropped them on the cement.

As Rabid pointed out though, there are several organizations that will help you get glasses. But as we already know, no answer anyone gives you will be good enough for you. You have to have things your way or not at all.
#9 Old 02-02-2006, 02:57 AM
Banned

For one kp, you are assuming I am currently having a problem personal problem getting the glasses I need, and I am not. For second, the glasses paid for by medicaid did not need to be dropped to have the hinges fail. They merely neeed to be open and closed a few times.

I am able to manufacture new frames, or make donated frames fit, by cutting, and welding and other jewelry making skills that I found can apply to eye-glass frames. But most homeless people don't have the cutting and welding and other jewelry making skills that I have. I have seen homeless people trying to hold their glasses together with tape. I think they deserve better than that. I think Medicaid could spend the extra $0.25 to get them frames that would last 10 times as long, instead of just going for THE cheapest frames.
#10 Old 02-02-2006, 03:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

For second, the glasses paid for by medicaid did not need to be dropped to have the hinges fail. They merely neeed to be open and closed a few times.

Oh, wow. I've never seen a pair THAT cheap that you can't open and close them. I agree that's too cheap.

I would have to assume though that for the homeless people using these fragile glasses, they are just not getting connected to all the available resources. There's really no reason they should have to go without glasses for long periods of time.
#11 Old 02-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Banned

" they are just not getting connected to all the available resources."

The resources are very difficult to use. Despite all the difficulties of making new frames out of discarded pieces of frames from old cheap sunglasses, and what not, I found it easier to make new frames than to get help from the "available resources."

No-one wants to spend days hunting down resources, when they are talking about a pair of frames that costs $3.50. If you didn't have a pair of old sunglasses, you could buy a pair of new sunglasses, for about $2.00. These would have better frames than those that medicaid pays for. Then you could weld (metal frames) or epoxy (plastic frames) hinge parts and associated frame parts, from those frames, into the Medicaid frames. That requires a set of precision screw drivers (about $5.00); a small gas welding outfit (about $40) or a small epoxy kit (about $3.00).
#12 Old 02-02-2006, 04:41 AM
kat
Beginner

Asides from making new frames, I think my friend got the opticians to put her lenses in a different frame, rather than getting completely new glases. I have no idea what they would charge and if you'd be able to do it.
#13 Old 02-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Banned

I was told by my optician that they couldn't transfer my old lenses to new frames. When I pressed them as to why they said they would need new frames which were identical to the old ones, and they didn't carry those any more, and typically they get in a bunch of frames, use them up, then get in a bunch of different ones, as "fashions change." Also, I asked them if they could cut down the lenses to fit new frames, and they said they couldn't.
#14 Old 02-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:

For second, the glasses paid for by medicaid did not need to be dropped to have the hinges fail. They merely neeed to be open and closed a few times.

The magnifying glasses my grandma got from the dollar store aren't that cheap, and she uses them every day.
#15 Old 02-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Also, I asked them if they could cut down the lenses to fit new frames, and they said they couldn't.

They told me the same thing. My frames broke twice in 18 years of glasses, once when my brother kicked me in the face and one other time when it was really cold out and I went outside then right when I went inside I wiped them off, the sudden temperatue change must have made them weak as they broke in my hands just from wiping them off. The first time they didn't have my frames anymore so they also told me they couldn't re-cut my old lenses. We got around this by finding a random front (without the part that you open and rests on your ears) that KINDA fit my lenses and stuck them in there. Next they attached the part that opens up and rests on your ears from my old glasses. The side was red and the front was black.
#16 Old 02-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:

apparently you just hate all poor people, and don't want to distinguish between those of us who feel other people should take care of us and don't want to labor to improve our economic situation, and those of us who are trying are damdest to improve our income, but just aren't succeeding at it.

.. which would explain why I'm currently going broke to get a Masters in Social Work!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#17 Old 03-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Beginner

Sounds like I need to see you first!  Is it better to go to an eyeglass store, say Walmart, or other chain stores or go to a private doctor?

#18 Old 03-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Sometimes the spam bumping an eight-year old thread has me lmao. grin.gif
imagineaa likes this.
#19 Old 03-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Beginner

Then, why are you still reading them?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page