What do you do/say when someone apologizes to you? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What do you do/say when someone apologizes to you?
1. Deflect it. "Oh, it's nothing. Don't worry about it." (change topic) 0 0%
2. Approve it. "I accept your apology." 0 0%
3. Counter-apologize. "I'm sorry, too, for ____." 0 0%
4. Ignore it. (change topic immediately) 0 0%
5. Refuse it. "No, I will not forgive you." 0 0%
6. Nobody has ever apologized to me. 0 0%
7. Other. Please explain. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-28-2005, 01:37 PM

I've been reading some interesting ideas lately on how people respond when another person apologizes to them. How do you handle it?

Please vote and then post stating why you chose what you did, and whether you are male or female. If any of these options strike you as really ridiculous, please include that. (In a non-hostile way.)

What I've been reading suggests that gender impacts apology-reception styles. I'd like to find out whether that's true on VB.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-28-2005, 01:39 PM

Where's the poll?

I'm a real weenie when somebody apologizes to me. I say "Oh, it's OK", even when it's not OK.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 08-28-2005, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Where's the poll?

I'm a real weenie when somebody apologizes to me. I say "Oh, it's OK", even when it's not OK.

I do that too

But I have a lot of respect for people who appologize, if they really mean it.
#4 Old 08-28-2005, 01:41 PM

I was typing in the poll as you posted, Amy.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 08-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Banned

Its highly situational. If someone apologizes for something little, like bumping into me or something, I just say something like "no worries", "no big deal" whatever, which is an honest answer.

If someone is apologizing for something that they really needed to apologize for, you really have to handle that on a case by case basis. In a personal relationship I will be honest about how I feel (about what happened and the apology). At work etc I will probably be as diplomatic as I feel the situation warrants.

ETA:

Now that the poll has been posted I will say that, obviously, I deflect for little stuff where I don't think an apology was necessary. For serious stuff I think I often counter apologize but then I feel strongly that most interpersonal problems are not caused unilaterally.
#6 Old 08-28-2005, 01:45 PM

I almost always say "It's okay" or something to that effect, so I voted for the first option. I always fell awkward when someone apologizes to me. It would be rude to not accept or ignore it, but if I say I accept the apology, I'm acknowledging that the apologizer did something wrong, and possibly making him/her feel bad. I guess if I'm really angry with someone, I might ignore their apology, but 95 percent of the time, I'll just say that they don't have to apologize.

You get two guesses at my gender. First one doesn't count.

ETA- Spelling
#7 Old 08-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator

"Screw you guys, I'm going home."

Nah, usually I just say "That's ok, don't worry about it." Even if it's not.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#8 Old 08-28-2005, 01:49 PM

i think it would depend on the situation. if someone i don't know does something like step on my toes or spill something on me, i just say "it's okay." if someone did something that really affected me and i was not okay with it, i might just smile and say nothing at all, or if i could think of something to say without acknowledging the apology, i might say that. i find it difficult to lie even about little things, so i can't say it's okay if i'm really upset.
#9 Old 08-28-2005, 03:01 PM

Almost always deflect. If it's serious I'll thank them and say I understand (I usually do) or ask why they did what they did if I don't understand. If they obviously don't mean it I say "bull."

EDIT: I forgot, I'm female. I didn't forget that I'm female I just forgot to say so.
#10 Old 08-28-2005, 03:01 PM

Depends on the situation. I go the "No problem" route when it's something inconsequential, like when someone bumps into you. If it's a sincere apology for something important, I feel like deflecting is a bit disrespectful. I take such apologies seriously. Usually I will say "Thank you" and accept the apology. I don't think I've ever not accepted an apology -- which doesn't mean the person regains my trust, if they've really blown it.
#11 Old 08-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Banned

It depends.
#12 Old 08-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

"Screw you guys, I'm going home."

Nah, usually I just say "That's ok, don't worry about it." Even if it's not.

Hey, that's what you have always told me!

I always suspected, now I know.

As for me, it depends on the situation and the person in question. If I like someone, I tend to be forgiving.

If I don't, no matter how sincere the apology, I typically tell them to **** off.
#13 Old 08-28-2005, 03:41 PM

before i can vote i just need to know if we're talking about really minor stuff or more serious, and personal or at work/at the store type of thing ? because that's what it depends on for me

if i really feel like the person means it and i'm forgiving them i accept

if i i'm really really really really mad or i don't feel like they mean it i either refuse or pretend to deflect it (in a way that would show them that i'm still mad)

if it's something really small like someone bumping into me or stealing my pencil i deflect

i did the counter thing a couple of times too .... but i'm not big on that lol

and i ALWAYS take offence at people ignoring me in general, and even bigger offence when they do that as i'm apologizing to them, i don't feel like a person who can't even accept my apology is even worth my time, they can come back when they learn some people skills
#14 Old 08-28-2005, 05:30 PM

I normally wind up telling them "it's fine" because I hate being mean and admitting that i'm not ready to forgive them. i'm not to good with accepting apologies. i find them to be awkward situations. so i normally respond with "it's fine" or "it's ok"
#15 Old 08-28-2005, 05:34 PM

Its situational for me. I usually deflect or counter-apologize.
#16 Old 08-28-2005, 05:50 PM

^^^ same here. but I voted "it's nothing, don't worry about it."
#17 Old 08-28-2005, 06:05 PM

I usually ignore em, and shrug it off. People apologizing to you usually leads to you saying something nice like "oh that's okay," "yeah, I'm sorry too" or "You hurt me when...". That kinda stuff gives me cramps. So I just say, "Ah. So what has so and so been up to?" I don't hold grudges, but I just don't like the part where I'm supposed to accept apologies, considering I harldly ever apologize myself.
#18 Old 08-28-2005, 06:12 PM

I do guilt really well so I almost always counter-apologise. I figure if the person has something they feel they need to apologise for (not talking an accidental bump in the supermarket line or whatever) then chances are, I may have done something to provoke that behavious in them.

I am not an easy person to live around/be around... I figure I'm probably a good part of the reason the person is having to apologise in the first place!
#19 Old 08-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Kiz

It really depends on the situation.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#20 Old 08-28-2005, 06:59 PM

it totally depends. I might say "you don't have to apologize. it's okay." or "thank you for apologizing" or "No, *I'M* sorry..." etc etc... it just depends on what the apology is for.
#21 Old 08-28-2005, 07:24 PM

I'm not sure if its just a Canadian thing, but for whatever reason, if someone was to step on my foot, I would apologize. Its this automatic thing, and it happens all the time in bus stations, etc.

Otherwise, I usually say "It's fine" as well. Unless the apology isn't heartfelt, or I feel the need to stop them from saying sorry (eg. apologizing for something that they shouldn't be apologizing for - like crying).
#22 Old 08-28-2005, 08:04 PM

I picked Other.

Basically what Remilard said. I don't say "it's OK" if it's not or "no big deal" if it really is a big deal--I'm more likely to say "Thank you" or "I appreciate that." But I did have to train myself out of the deflection response.
#23 Old 08-28-2005, 08:27 PM

I voted that I deflect, and say 'it's okay'.

But I also tend to counter-apologize.

I even apologize for things that aren't my fault, ranging from a stranger who bumps into me on the metro to more serious relationship issues...always apologizing.

Interesting topic.
#24 Old 08-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Banned

My vote was other. If someone apologizes to me I accept the apology and forgive them. If they have really hurt me (this is where the other vote comes in) I tell them that I do forgive them but I do not wish to continue the friendship. I don't think that means that I don't forgive them it just means that I am not going to put myself in a position to be betrayed or hurt again. When someone sincerely apologizes I find it hard not to accept the apology. It takes balls to admit when you're wrong. I should know! I'm the Editor and Chief of "Foot In Mouth Magazine".
#25 Old 08-28-2005, 09:06 PM

Ah, pardon the confusion. (Here I go, apologizing to y'all in the apology thread!) I meant apologies that are more than just bumping into a stranger at a store or stepping on someone's foot. It could be anything from screwing up a group project to cheating on you, but hopefully you don't get cheated on often enough to have a habitual response.

#26 Old 08-28-2005, 09:28 PM

if it was accidental, or i could understand the person's actions, i'd try to assure them that it was okay.

if someone did something that they were fully aware would be harmful or hurtful to me, i don't think i could accept an apology.

if i thought what they did was partly my fault, i might counter-apologize.
#27 Old 08-28-2005, 11:24 PM

Deflect. I'm so mellow that practically nothing bothers me. And if it does, I'll usually forgive them quickly enough.

I'll also counter appologize if I think it's warranted.

I'm a man.

Just kidding. Female.

Ha.
#28 Old 08-29-2005, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Ah, pardon the confusion... It could be anything from screwing up a group project to cheating on you,...

If someone cheated on me, they needn't bother to apologise; Instead, they'd need to RUN!!

Very far and very fast.....
#29 Old 08-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

It depends.

I agree with Kirk.

By the way, Kirk. I apologize for that fit I threw on you a few weeks ago. You didn't have it coming. I was being hardnosed about it. You owe me no response, and you have already given me your apology.
#30 Old 08-29-2005, 10:25 PM

Depends on the situation. Usually I deflect it, sometimes counter-apologize.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page