Skirts: How short is too short for work? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Baby Love

I admit, during my college years, I was one of those interns that always wore ultra short skirts and dresses. At the time, I was unaware that my nice clothes could be considered unprofessional. It was summer and they did look dang good, though ... Now that I am an adult or at least more adult-ish (28) and in a more permanent job setting, I dress more conservatively, but I am unsure at what point a skirt length morphs from appropriate to skanky or juvenile.

The reason Im asking is because I spotted a couple skirts I love, but I shouldnt spend money on something I cant wear to work. They both hit a couple inches above the knee, fit well, do not look the least bit slutty, and have a more finished look in person than appears in the online image (link below).

http://www.jcrew.com/images/nov299/b...967_NA6446.jpg

My offices dress code is semi-casual with most employees sporting something to the extent of twill pants and oxford shirts. Fridays are casual/jean day. Would it be a poor judgment call to wear this sort of thing on Friday (or M-Thurs)? The office does not having any rules about wearing a skirt this length, but if you saw me working at my desk wearing this sort of thing would you see it as unprofessional? I think I already know the answer, but I'd like some extra opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Beginner

I would use the knee as the boundary line, but if the skirt is only a couple of inches above the knee, it should be alright, in my opinion. The skirt itself looks very casual. Not slutty at all. Not my type of skirt though, personally. I'd wear it if it were camouflage!

I say, go for it.
#3 Old 07-31-2005, 02:31 PM
Administrator

I'd say it's probably ok for casual day but I don't think I'd wear it M-TH.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#4 Old 07-31-2005, 02:56 PM
Baby Love

I find it amusing that thus far all my skirt advice is coming from male VBers Thanks, though.

... and I think I'll hold off on wearing camo prints to work. Its definately more casual than khaki.
#5 Old 07-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Beginner

My guess is that it's too casual for the non-casual days, but Friday would probably be ok.

Is your office air-conditioned? If so, it shouldn't be a big deal to opt for longer skirts during the summer. I personally prefer the longer ones. No worries about showing too much leg--and honestly, I'd rather be able to focus on the task at hand, not in pulling down my skirt or adjusting other clothing.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#6 Old 07-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Beginner

I am a jeans & tank tops kind of gal, but Jinga IMO that skirt is too short for work, even for casual days.

Anything that is above the knee is a no-no for work, sorry.

this http://secure.www.gap.com/asp/Produc...10&wpid=316587

or this http://secure.www.gap.com/asp/Produc...10&wpid=287658

are better for casual friday
#7 Old 07-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Beginner

Skirt...too...short.

Does not compute.
#8 Old 07-31-2005, 06:57 PM
Beginner

I find I get stares whether my skirt is short or long so I can't help hehehe
#9 Old 07-31-2005, 06:58 PM
Beginner

but men in skirts are sexy. ("it's not a skirt!")
#10 Old 07-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Beginner

heh, i was just wondering this same thing this morning. fortunately for me my skirts aren't actually too short and i just perceive them as being so
#11 Old 07-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Beginner

A plus side to being really short in the first place. My short skirts, well, aren't.
#12 Old 07-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Beginner

I'd go for an inch above the knees as the shortest. Doesn't the place you work have air conditioning? Any place I worked for in the summer (indoors) was too cold to wear anything but pants and a short-sleeved shirt anyway. :P
#13 Old 07-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Banned

I refuse to work anywhere where there is such as thing as "too casual", so I am of little use.

I will say that a 40-something my-skin-looks-like-leather cougar co-worker wears a skirt so short that the slightest bend shows carpet through her shirt and you can always see her g-string when she's filing. And I don't mean from around the waist, either

But, as long as she can dress like that, i can show up in jeans and a t without my hair combed and no one cares.

Of course, now we're locked out and walking the streets, so I still wear what I want

(we also have a guy who comes to work in a shirt on hot days. )
#14 Old 07-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Beginner

OMG

I know who you work for

They have an office across the street from my hotel and they're locked out. <_<
#15 Old 07-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Beginner

I stick with the hits-at-or-below-the-knee rule for work, but then, I work in a high school, so anything shorter would be insanely unprofessional.
#16 Old 07-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Baby Love

The place I work has AC, but us skinny girls have somehow managed to hijack the thermostat in my corner. I usually end up with a light sweater due to the fact that the AC blows from above. My legs and feet don't get cold and at the present time the temperature is fairly comfortable.

I agree that there isn't a shortage of longer skirts out there. I was just looking for an excuse to buy something different. Maybe if I actually had a life outside of work, this wouldn't be a problem.

... but now that this conversation has gotten going, I'm starting to remember how uncomfortable it was to sit in a chair all day in the shorter skirt. Those darn things get shorter when you sit down. *grumble* Hmmm. Maybe I should either think about getting the pants version of that skirt ... or hold out for another style. I have to admit A-lines are the most flattering on my figure. Short skirts are fun-ner, though.
#17 Old 07-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Beginner

I think it is cute, and It doesn't look too short for your work.
#18 Old 07-31-2005, 10:14 PM
Beginner

I usually stick with skirts that are just below the knee.
#19 Old 07-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Beginner

Jinga, I know what you mean about short skirts being fun. Sometimes I just have to put on a pair of shorts at home because my legs are dying not to be couped up. But you did say that shorter skirts are uncomfortable to sit in for long periods of time. How much is fun worth? If you want to sacrifice comfort, that's ok, but I prefer to go for the practical at work and indulge the fun at home.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#20 Old 08-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Beginner

I think if it's just above your knee you should be okay especially if your workplace is pretty casual. I'd say it's definately good on casual Friday but I'm not sure about M-Th.

Of course, my 50-year old coworker has been known to wear a skirt so short that I can see her panties when she sits down. No, not the waistband. Incidentally, I work for a Catholic college.
#21 Old 08-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Beginner

VeggieBiker, Thanks for that visual!
#22 Old 08-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Beginner

That would be okay at my work which is business-casual mon-thurs however we lean towards the very casual side of the spectrum. My last job was business-casual leaning towards the very business side so it would be a no-way. Basically at each of my jobs (too many to count!) I dress on the conservative side until I get a feel for how everyone else dresses. At my current job, both my boss and the female directors wear quite short (summery,not skanky) skirts, and have summery/casual work attire so it is obvious to the rest of us what is appropriate regarding our dress code.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#23 Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Banned

Hmmm.... I wear skirts that are a couple inches about the knee all the time at work... hmmm.... and I am definitely a more conservative dresser!
#24 Old 08-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Beginner

The skirt is question is very cute, but I'm inclined to say that anything more than a inch or so above the knee is too short for the office. Save that one for the weekend.
#25 Old 08-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Beginner

We don't have a hard/fast rule in our (HR) office, but generally the women who wear anything more than 1-2 inches above the knee M-Th are given the "raised eyebrow" behind their backs. I'd keep anything shorter for casual Friday or maybe the company picnics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page