Tattoo color changing? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Beginner

My most recent tattoo is a few months old. I think it's changing color!

It was a reddish-brown, not quite henna brown, just a bit darker. Now it's almost a plum color... more purple-brown than red-brown.

Have any tattoo aficionados here heard of ink reacting like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Beginner

Usually the color will change a bit when the tattoo peels, and the bloody ink is gone......but I have never headr of what you have described.
#3 Old 07-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Beginner

I don't know too much about tattoos, but it may be possible that you had a reaction to the ink. Red ink is known to cause reactions in some people... I'd talk to the artist, personally, since they're more expierenced than I am about these types of things...
#4 Old 07-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post

I don't know too much about tattoos, but it may be possible that you had a reaction to the ink. Red ink is known to cause reactions in some people... I'd talk to the artist, personally, since they're more expierenced than I am about these types of things...

I know 3 people, one of them being my husband, who are allergic to red ink. It never changes color, it just makes them scab real bad.
#5 Old 07-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Beginner

Mine changed a bit when it was done peeling and healing up, but I've not heard of what you have, either.

Did you get your tattoo from the same place as the others? (it sounds like you have more than one or two). Maybe they're using a different kind of dye and it's not taking well?
#6 Old 07-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

I know 3 people, one of them being my husband, who are allergic to red ink. It never changes color, it just makes them scab real bad.

ah, forget that then.. hmm. aah. yeah. not an ink allergy..
Quote:
Tattoo inks are totally unregulated and generally tattoo artists are not even aware of what specific ingredients make up the pigments only a small amount of tattoo ink is allergy tested. These pigments range from metal oxides to synthetic organic dyes. Inks most commonly reacted to include reds and yellows. Some people have react with red, bumpy, sore, or itchy skin on and around the tattoo. Some people will have more severe reactions such as blistering, skin lesions, and persistent infections.

(This was taken from the BME Encyclopedia)
#7 Old 07-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Beginner

I will ask my tattooist, when I can catch him in his shop.

I thought about sunlight, too -- it's on the inside of my right wrist, and doesn't get much sun at all, but it's possible that it's reacting to the increased sunlight of summer... I don't know, it's just weird. Maybe I'll get him to go back over it with purple.

At least it's a uniform change, not patchy.

jenna, my others are just black ink (I like monochromatic designs). It could be a different brand of ink, but I think it's more of a pigment issue...
#8 Old 07-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Beginner

It's totally healed and it didn't give me any problems while healing, either.
#9 Old 07-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Beginner

Pictures

My next one will be on the inside of my wrist, as well. It may just heal different since that part is so much more tender than some of the other popular spots.
#10 Old 07-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Beginner

Boy, you're not kidding. It's a painful place to get ink, for sure.

But I love my tat. I have a picture here somewhere... Here she is.
LL
#11 Old 07-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Beginner

Though the color doesn't show so well in that pic. That's a before... yet it was more of a reddish brown than it shows up there.
#12 Old 07-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Beginner

Beautiful tat.

I've heard that colors in the red/orange/yellow spectrum fade and change VERY quickly compared to the blue/black/green ones. Is it getting lighter at all? Maybe this is just part of the process of fading?
#13 Old 07-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

Boy, you're not kidding. It's a painful place to get ink, for sure.

But I love my tat. I have a picture here somewhere... Here she is.

Oh yeah! I've seen that one before in the photo album section. I always liked the design of it. I'm guessing the V stands for veg*n?
#14 Old 07-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Beginner

It's nice. :-)

I remember my tattoo artist saying that if anything weird happened to mine within 2 years, he'd fix it for free. Outside of obvious change from too much sun, or doing something wrong while it was healing (I had instructions not to submerge it in water, etc). Did yours say something like that?
#15 Old 07-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Beginner

I read somewhere that red tat ink can even be made from mercury salts!
#16 Old 07-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

Oh yeah! I've seen that one before in the photo album section. I always liked the design of it. I'm guessing the V stands for veg*n?

Yup. Thanks.
#17 Old 07-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

It's nice. :-)

I remember my tattoo artist saying that if anything weird happened to mine within 2 years, he'd fix it for free. Outside of obvious change from too much sun, or doing something wrong while it was healing (I had instructions not to submerge it in water, etc). Did yours say something like that?

Yeah, and also he's an old friend of mine.

I don't think it needs fixed, I just think it's odd...
#18 Old 07-19-2005, 07:25 AM
Beginner

FYI - Red ink 99% of the time contains mercury. Not enough to make you sick or anything, but enough to irritate the skin if you have metal sensitivity. Other colors contain various metals too. Anyhow, colors change as your body absorbs the metals that are mixed in with the other properties that make up the ink. The color change you see is all the other properties of the ink minus the metalic base.
#19 Old 07-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Beginner

Some more interesting facts:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which approves the color additives used in foods, cosmetics and drugs, does not regulate the inks used for tattooing, and no color additive has ever been approved for injection into the skin.

Mercury is also known to promote Alzheimer's disease, dementia and other nervous system disorders.

Just google metals in tattoo ink to read more.

Because the inks are not sold directly to consumers, manufacturers are not required to list the components on the product label, according to the FDA.
#20 Old 07-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Beginner

My only all-black one went from being all-black (durr) to almost a bruise-y greenish purple color after healing. I just had it redone and all is well.
#21 Old 07-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Life View Post

FYI - Red ink 99% of the time contains mercury. Not enough to make you sick or anything, but enough to irritate the skin if you have metal sensitivity. Other colors contain various metals too. Anyhow, colors change as your body absorbs the metals that are mixed in with the other properties that make up the ink. The color change you see is all the other properties of the ink minus the metalic base.

This is good to know, thank you.

I also have actual red ink and it's fine, so with your information my theory is now that there is some metallic base in the brown ink that my body is absorbing.

I haven't gotten around to asking my artist yet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page