How can I change my speaking voice? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-26-2005, 05:27 PM

I was subjected to hearing my voice on a recording of my husband and I talking. I can't stand it. I want to change it but I don't know how. I have the number for a singing coach who could help me, but I can't afford it right now.

I want to become less nasal. I have had a lot of allergy/sinus problems but even when that is OK, I sound like this.

Does anyone have any tips or excercises that might help? I at least want to try.

If not, I will have to take a secular vow of silence. My husband and kids will probably like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2005, 05:30 PM

Find your high vocal cords(or low if you want a deeper voice)..They're in there somewhere just practice with your throat.

Say one word.. Like "I" or "Hey"

say it in different tones and ranges until you find the one you like best!

Then practice prejecting, like yelling across the room "Charlie" then do it over and over.

Just repeat.

#3 Old 01-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissancesun View Post

I was subjected to hearing my voice on a recording of my husband and I talking. I can't stand it. I want to change it but I don't know how. I have the number for a singing coach who could help me, but I can't afford it right now.

I want to become less nasal. I have had a lot of allergy/sinus problems but even when that is OK, I sound like this.

Does anyone have any tips or excercises that might help? I at least want to try.

If not, I will have to take a secular vow of silence. My husband and kids will probably like that.

You could try breathing exercises, any reference on singing should include these. I used to practice by saying all the states and capitals in alphabetical order but that was more of a hybrid speed/breathing exercise.

Doing tongue twisters etc can help in clearing up the voice.

Speaking while holding a pencil between your teeth strengthens your facial muscles resulting in clearer speech, this won't directly help what is making your voice nasal but it can help correct for it.

Find someone whose voice you like (newscaster etc), listen to them, think about the qualities of their voice you like, and then speak into a taperecorder attempting to capture those qualities.
#4 Old 01-26-2005, 05:58 PM

I know that because I'm in choir..

But breathing techniques also help big time.

Mabey you should look around for videos.
#5 Old 01-26-2005, 06:05 PM

You don't always sound the same on a recording. Ask an honest person who isn't afraid of you

For example, how I sound on the phone isn't how I sound in RL. People often comment on it (my calls at work are monitored and it's always mentioned that they can never tell who I am unless they search the name).
#6 Old 01-26-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

You don't always sound the same on a recording. Ask an honest person who isn't afraid of you

What if I can't find any? J/K

My husband said that I do sound like that but it is not as bad when I am not upset or anxious, which I was in the recording.

There is a male radio announcer on the public radio station here who has a nasal voice and I think he sounds like a cartoon character. I can't stand it. that is what I sound like, to me. I want it fixed.

Thanks for the tips, folks. I will start practicing as soon as I am home alone.
#7 Old 01-26-2005, 06:30 PM

And then there's this:

I have done radio (public and commercial) and never changed my voice (that I am aware of or on purpose.) But, I did have to listen to my voice a lot, such as for making promos for other shows or my own, or listening to recordings of my shows later. I eventually "got used" to my voice (which does sound a little nasal) and have come to like it as a result

namaste!
#8 Old 01-26-2005, 07:29 PM

^^ It sounds like torture! I can come to terms with aging, my weight, my kids growing up, my discontented husband. I don't think I could handle that.

I could be wrong. I have been before.
#9 Old 01-26-2005, 10:19 PM

Everyone hates their own voice.
#10 Old 01-26-2005, 11:10 PM

Marie's right. Very, very, very right.
#11 Old 01-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

For example, how I sound on the phone isn't how I sound in RL. People often comment on it (my calls at work are monitored and it's always mentioned that they can never tell who I am unless they search the name).

Thats because you use a telephone voice like most people who answer phones for a living. Your voice will sound correct on a recording to the extent that the recording equipment is accurate. My girlfriends parents sometimes don't recognize her voice when she calls, because she has a telephone voice.
#12 Old 01-26-2005, 11:38 PM

I don't hate the sound of my voice. In fact, I love it. I worked hard on it and it has served me well. It matches wonderfully who I am - confident, smart, and snobby.
#13 Old 01-27-2005, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissancesun View Post

^^ It sounds like torture! I can come to terms with aging, my weight, my kids growing up, my discontented husband. I don't think I could handle that.

I could be wrong. I have been before.

I'm not trying to say you're right or wrong, just that you might give it a try for a few hours. Find something you like to hear over and over (like poetry, humor, et cetera) make a recording of it (I assume you have a computer mic that works and the software to record with, or a home tapedeck) and listen when you can. In my own experience, the funniest stuff, i.e., the weird satire-laden talk/performance show I used to do on a local public radio station lent itself well to repeated listenings. I said a lot of funny stuff as did my co-hosts and the resulting banter amongst us and our callers. Basically, just have some fun and see if anything changes with regards to how you think you sound to yourself.

Who knows, maybe something like those Snickers ads will happen and you'll end up in some band and other outrageous situations

But, I do know how you feel; it sounded weird at first. And currently, I am (very, very slowly) trying to figure out if I can sing. Just for vocalizing during meditation mind you, but I still want to be able to hit semi-on key and without that weak diaphragm wavering I get...maybe I should start singing to our cat like my wife does

Good luck however you decide!

Eric
#14 Old 01-27-2005, 02:12 AM
Banned

Take up smoking.
#15 Old 01-27-2005, 04:58 AM

Or, take up public speaking
#16 Old 01-27-2005, 05:21 AM
Banned

Nasal voices are due to clogged sinuses or sinuses that are small in size, are they not? You might try a nasal decongestant (Afrin or generic equivalent) plus a systemic decongestant to see if this makes a dif. Note this is not a good permanent solution -- rebound effect, side effects -- and may not help much to begin with. You can also try nasal douches with saline solution (made with roughly 1 tsp additive-free salt, read the label, Diamond Crystal Kosher salt is an example, to 1 cup water), and -- an otolaryngologist and sinus surgery if they find an infection. Personally I wouldn't want to risk cosmetic sinus surgery, to change the size of the maxillary sinuses, if they found no pathology.

You might also be able to make some improvement by changing how you "project" your voice -- taking just a few singing lessons, or lessons in a wind instrument -- where they show you how to breathe. Good teachers will show you this early on rather than concentrating, early on, only on getting the right rhythm and pitch. Breathing for yoga, and swimming, is similar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page