Blockbuster drops late fees - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-14-2004, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Blockbuster Inc. announced Tuesday it is abolishing late fees on all its video tapes, DVDs and video games as of Jan. 1.

The world's largest video rental company will still have due dates for their rental products -- one week for games and two days or one week for movies, depending on whether it's a new release.

But customers will be given a one-week grace period after that to return the product. After that grace period ends, the chain will automatically sell them the product, less the rental fee. If the customers don't want to purchase the movie or game, they can return the product within 30 days for a credit, less a restocking fee.

Full story...

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/14/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-14-2004, 06:37 AM

Thats so cool!
#3 Old 12-14-2004, 06:39 AM

Strangeness. I wonder if they will charge retail DVD prices or rental DVD prices. If it works the same as VHS tapes used to, the charge for a rental VHS might be $150 where the same vid could be purchased for $20 elsewhere.

I have the blockbuster revolving thing - $25 a month - 2 movies at a time. Works good for us.
#4 Old 12-14-2004, 07:32 AM

Blockbuster is trying to stay alive. Sales have been poor.
#5 Old 12-14-2004, 07:32 AM

I hope they drop my late fee for the movie I have right now. I better return it though; it wasn't very good, and I don't want to buy it.
#6 Old 12-14-2004, 08:05 AM

Looks like Netflix is affecting their sales more than I thought.
#7 Old 12-14-2004, 08:13 AM

I don't like netflix. I like walking into Blockbuster and for the most part getting my movie right away. I know netflix has a better selection, but what can I say? I'm a goober and don't have much taste in movies.
#8 Old 12-14-2004, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

I'm a goober and don't have much taste in movies.

Ah, but if only more goobers were so cool and looked so purdy!
#9 Old 12-14-2004, 09:13 AM

oy that's gonna be bad for business. the independent video store i work at is across the street from blockbuster

oddly enough they send us a lot of business. often if they don't have something for a customer they'll call us cause we usually have it. then the customer comes over and has to sign up for a membership etc, realizes our prices are better and... woops sorry BB

heh

but yeah our late charges are lower than theirs (2 bucks a day for new releases instead of full rental price) but now i dunno...

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#10 Old 12-14-2004, 09:13 AM

Thanks! I do have cheesy taste in films though. Anything artsy or too meaningful bores me. Give me Clue anyday of the week.
#11 Old 12-14-2004, 09:16 AM

Ha ha ha. Blockbuster's attempts to force the market toward them has backfired. A few years back, they were among the first video rental chains to start carrying DVD's, and if I'm not mistaken they announced in 2000 that they would be all-DVD by 2005 (which hasn't happened yet; I don't know if that was truly a "goal" of theirs or whether they just scrapped the idea later). Anyway, this effort to motivate people to buy DVD players has had an unexpected consequence: now, people are more likely to buy and own their own movies than they were when VHS tapes were more popular. Take that.

But the late fees really were ridiculous.
#12 Old 12-14-2004, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigB View Post

Anyway, this effort to motivate people to buy DVD players has had an unexpected consequence: now, people are more likely to buy and own their own movies than they were when VHS tapes were more popular.

That's pretty freakin' funny.

My pappy use to take me down to the viddy store to rent DVD's (and a player) in the early 80's. I was wondering if any of you viddy buffs knew why they dissappeared for so long before this recent comeback/takeover? I assume it was something to do with $$, but I'm pretty clueless in general.

#13 Old 12-14-2004, 11:24 AM

That's awesome! I hope more chains follow suit.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the rash of lawsuits over unfair late fees. I still haven't gotten my free rental coupons from the class action suit.
#14 Old 12-14-2004, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirx View Post

That's pretty freakin' funny.

My pappy use to take me down to the viddy store to rent DVD's (and a player) in the early 80's. I was wondering if any of you viddy buffs knew why they dissappeared for so long before this recent comeback/takeover? I assume it was something to do with $$, but I'm pretty clueless in general.

There were DVD's in the eighties??? I thought they weren't invented until like 1994?
#15 Old 12-14-2004, 11:27 AM

Another question - how do they sue that late fees are unfair? I mean, I used to get them all the time, but the terms of the rental were always clearly spelled out.
#16 Old 12-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Joe

Quote:

There were DVD's in the eighties??? I thought they weren't invented until like 1994?

Quote:
The result was the DVD format, announced in September of 1995. The official DVD specification was released in Version 1.0 in September, 1996. It is maintained by the DVD Forum, formerly the DVD Consortium, consisting of the ten founding companies and over 220 additional members. The first DVD players and discs were available in November of 1996 in Japan and in March of 1997 in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

Laserdiscs might have been available for rent in the '80s.
#17 Old 12-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Joe

Quote:

Another question - how do they sue that late fees are unfair? I mean, I used to get them all the time, but the terms of the rental were always clearly spelled out.

The plaintiffs alleged that the terms were not spelled out clearly enough. It seems that turning in a movie two days late could result in late fees that were double the cost of renting the movie for two days. Many people were apparently shocked by this.

I also wonder whether the Blockbuster policies were uniform across the country, since many stores are franchisees so might have had various policies.
#18 Old 12-14-2004, 12:05 PM

I did some research and I guess also folks are saying that they were charged when movies were *not* late. Or that the vid places claimed movies were not returned at all. There's a ton of complaints out there.
#19 Old 12-14-2004, 04:32 PM

No late fees? They automatically charge you the price of the rental if you're a week late. So now, instead of five more bucks, you have to pay twenty!

Yeah, you can return it, but it still seems gimicky. Oh well, I never go there any more. I was charged a late fee once in New Orleans and I know for a fact it wasn't late. So, I stopped going there.
#20 Old 12-14-2004, 04:44 PM

That's a pretty lenient policy, but it's nice. My boss will love this. She's usually about a week late returning them. lol

I've thought about joining Blockbuster Online, which is exactly like Netflix except just a bit cheaper (like a whole whopping 50 cents), but haven't yet. Anyone belong to it?
#21 Old 12-14-2004, 05:24 PM

I have a DVD in my car that was due yesterday. haha what is even worse is BB is literaly right across the street from me, but the parking lot there is so busy and poorly laid out I hate going.
#22 Old 12-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

No late fees? They automatically charge you the price of the rental if you're a week late. So now, instead of five more bucks, you have to pay twenty!

Yeah, you can return it, but it still seems gimicky. Oh well, I never go there any more. I was charged a late fee once in New Orleans and I know for a fact it wasn't late. So, I stopped going there.

Mikie - It's really not much different when you think about it. If you turn something in a week late you may as well have bought it anyway. At least this way you get to keep the movie (vs. paying the late fee and returning it). And like you say, if you really don't want it you have 30 days to return it.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#23 Old 12-14-2004, 06:12 PM

heh..wonder if my overdue fees will be dropped.
#24 Old 12-14-2004, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Laserdiscs might have been available for rent in the '80s.

Right, laserdiscs! They were the size of records...I guess they weren't the same thing then. Donkey-shins! (that's German for thank-you)
#25 Old 12-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirx View Post

Right, laserdiscs! They were the size of records...I guess they weren't the same thing then. Donkey-shins! (that's German for thank-you)

You are welcome. Laserdiscs weren't the same, because they were analog recordings, while DVDs are digital. (Like vinyl records are analog but audio CDs are digital.)

A member of VB was kind enough to send me her late husband's laserdisc player and movie collection for the cost of shipping. It really is like travelling back into the past in a time machine. I think the picture quality of laserdiscs is quite good, and generally considered superior to VHS tapes. It's a neato toy, and used laserdiscs generally sell for less than the price of used DVDs of the same movie.
#26 Old 12-14-2004, 07:39 PM

im excited.

im a blockbuster gold card member. which means i rent over 200 movies a year.

this is like...the savior descending from heaven for us. My mom actually screamed when I told her. This is goood news.
#27 Old 12-14-2004, 09:59 PM

I just use netflix. Even this won't lure me into the den of hell (any video rental place). I hate going to them, I hate being in them, I hate having to drag my kids there, and I hate not finding what I want.
#28 Old 12-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Joe

One story suggests that Blockbuster will bill your credit card automatically after 1 week's lateness.

Quote:
Reed Hastings, CEO of Los Gatos, Calif.-based Netflix, said Blockbuster had to do something to prevent losing store customers to Netflix and its own online movie-order service, which together have doubled their customers in the past year, to 3 million. Hastings said Blockbuster's move would backfire because of the potential of being charged for purchasing a late DVD.

"Many consumers will be unhappy with the idea that their credit card is going to get charged" if they miss the grace period, he said.

http://startribune.com/stories/535/5136174.html

I would not like this at all. I would not like to give them control over my credit card.

What they do now is send you a bill, and if you go back to the store and return the movie, you have to pay the fees to rent a new one. This is much more reasonable, in my opinion, than having to give them my credit card info with an authorization to bill whatever charges they deem fit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page