Who Are Your Heroes? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Thalassa

#1 Old 04-21-2017, 07:31 PM
Bandit

Who Are Your Heroes?

These can be vegan or vegetarian heroes, animal rights activists, but also environmentalists, philosophers, really any one you want it doesn't have to be "on topic".

Please give a brief description of each hero. If it's something like "my mom" then please explain why.

Henry Miller Henry Miller is my original hero from age 19. For various reasons, but most pointedly at "maturity" due to what I consider his best work, The Air Conditioned Nightmare for its non-academic philosophical assessment of United States culture, capitalism, and the war on nature. He had profound insights for late 1930s-early 1940s. I originally liked him as a teen because of his determined, never-die, free spirit and curiosity, and his frank assessment of whatever he saw and experienced.

Lana Del Rey my pop girl-crush who I feel had the bravery and sensitivity to bring literary analysis and ironic American history, and a feminine version of feminism, to 21st Century culture. I also love her cross over into subtly supporting political issues, such as Latinos in California, environmentalism, getting young people to vote, addressing mental illness unabashedly and being a vegetarian.

John Muir every bit as much of a genius as Tesla, just in a naturalist way. A very nice, authentic, insightful person for his time, especially. Had real empathy for animals. I think had he been from a different social class and time period he would have been vegetarian or vegan. He thought domesticating animals stole something from them, in adulthood refused to continue hunting wildlife as he had been taught in his early teens, ate very little meat even for his generation (acquaintances marvelled at how he'd turn down breakfasts of venison or bacon in favor of starchy foods on the run), and wrote frequently about empathetic moments when he saw the "humanity" of cats or pigs.

Ingrid Newkirk I hope I'm like her when old. She's somehow at once dignified and outrageous. She never shuts up. She's sassy (and likely the only vegan in the bunch).

Bernie Sanders his entire life has been devoted to the betterment of American society and he never gives up. More honest than your average politician, a truly great man in history. I'm honored to have seen him live, twice. I wish he were our president.
Purp and greenmamato3 like this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page