• 1 Post By robert0259
  • 1 Post By BlueMts
  • 1 Post By APhilosophicalGent

#1 Old 11-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Why do people hate pigeons?

It's not them. It's us.

http://www.audubon.org/news/the-orig...hatred-pigeons

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Pigeons are awesome birds! I love it when they come visit my feeders outside in my yard. I always throw some seed and food scrapes on the ground as well as the feeders and fill pans with water for the birds and other animals who visit. We get deer in the Fall and winter months who eat the leftover apples from our tree and the ones we let drop into the ground. The pigeons are very observant, watching hidden from view somewhere in the neighborhood for whenever I add seed to the feeders. Within minutes they are ALWAYS the first to arrive of the many different birds that come.

When I was about 14, I had a neighborhood boyfriend. Somehow he had befriended this pigeon that was always hanging around in the windowsills on the second floor of his house. The pigeon would tap on the window and my friend Paul would tap back and the pigeon would tap back with it's beak however many taps Paul did. Eventually he was able to open the window and remove the screen and the pigeon would come in the house and sit on Paul's shoulder as he walked around inside. I can't remember if the pigeon was male or female so I will just say female. I got to pet and hold her and let her perch on my arm. She was really amazing, very smart. I think pigeons in general are smart.

Another bird that gets a bad rap where I live is the ring billed seagull. They are nicknamed "sky rats" here. But they clean up trash and food people leave laying around. I LOVE the calls they make, and it always always reminds me of the great lakes region.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 11-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

I do remember downtown Cleveland had TONS of pigeons when I was little! Poop covered everything! I don't know what happened to diminish their populations, but while there are a good number, not nearly what it was. I recall people being swarmed by them.
Many people spent their days on benches, feeding them. Certainly many homeless people, which also has diminished from that area, befriended them. I suppose that's related.

I like pigeons. I love their coo's. They're very cool birds. they are very smart.
When I was at the Smithsonian history museum reading about the last carrier pigeon, I broke down in tears so badly, I could control myself.

Your boyfriend Paul sounds very cool!
BlueMts likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#4 Old 11-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

I've always loved pigeons! One pooped on my boob once though, that was awkward.
BlueMts likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 02-10-2017, 12:00 PM

perhaps 'cause they are annoying
#6 Old 02-10-2017, 12:32 PM

and what should we live them for? But I agree that people are too cruel with any kind of animals or birds
#7 Old 02-10-2017, 01:13 PM

A quote by Nicola Tesla:

I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life.

Nikola Tesla
BlueMts likes this.
#8 Old 02-14-2017, 01:42 PM

i love pigeons , they are cute
#9 Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 AM

I don't mind them as long as they don't crap all over me.
#10 Old 05-14-2017, 06:43 AM

Other than their constant cooing and crapping...they are lovely animals!
#11 Old 05-14-2017, 10:43 PM
person

Just want to agree - it is us not them. It is always us not them regardless of the animal involved.

I am not being the least bit sarcastic. We are the worst species living on this planet. (except maybe for mosquitoes)

Most animals that end up being considered pests are in that position because we took their habitat or we moved them from one country to another or we developed an unreasonable fear of them etc,etc,etc..........

Pigeons are beautiful.
Naturebound likes this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#12 Old 06-20-2017, 03:21 AM

Yeah a lot of "pest" birds are cool. I like the intense pale light blue/grey eyes of the seagulls around here. I also like the ibises of Sydney (known by some as bin chickens). Our ibises are sister species to the African sacred ibis, symbol of the god Thoth in ancient Egypt. Very charming bird.
BlueMts likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page