USC v. VT...BCA Classic - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-29-2004, 06:57 PM

Now i know come of you had to watch this and i know a lot fo you where basching VT hardcore in the preseason. I was extremely impressed with VT this game and I would have to say we proved everyone wrong in this game. WE moved teh ball well against arguable one of the best defenses in college football with very few proved offensive players returning.

I know everyone will jump on me for saying this but if you watched teh game i dont see how you can say otherwise...VT would have won the game if the ref hadnt blown that interfernce call. It was clearly a botched call so instead of 1st and goal it was 2nd and 25. Unfortunatly that call swung the momentuem.

But onto other things. I saw a lot i liked from my team this game. WE proved we deserve a better ranking in a game where noone gave us a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Banned

You are a 7 win team. USC is drastically overrated at this time, but will be better later. Leinart has a bum arm now, which altered the USC offense, especially with such a green line (talented, but green.)

Neither team has a running attack, and VT displayed an inability to stop the deep ball. Williams will be toasted so much he might as well cover himself in jam.

Other than Randall's running (eliminated in the 2nd half), VT showed me nothing on offense that will sustain them for the season. I do like the potential they have at WR, but you won't see it for another year or two.

VT doesn't deserve any ranking at this time, and USC's should be lowered.
#3 Old 08-29-2004, 07:12 PM

because obviosly the passing yards we had ment nothing....

gee tame how are yous till alive sometimes it seems you dont look at all the information in front of you...its amazing you havent missed a few stoplights
#4 Old 08-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyVT View Post

because obviosly the passing yards we had ment nothing....

Randall was 14/29, for 153 yards, 1 TD/1 INT. He did have 17 carries for 144 yards.

But keep in mind...nearing the end of the 4th quarter, VT had accumulated 75 yards of total offense in the 2nd half. You may be all giggly over staying close to a young team playing cross-country in the first game of the season, but anyone with any football experience and knowledge can see that VT is average at best.

Randall is the best thing going for you, and that means you are counting on a guy who missed how many open receivers?

How did those running lanes look in the 2nd half? Oh, right. There weren't any.

Quote:

gee tame how are yous till alive sometimes it seems you dont look at all the information in front of you...its amazing you havent missed a few stoplights

Sorry, I don't find 300 yards of offense (barely) and 13 points something to get all excited about.

7 wins. And you should be damn glad Duke, UNC, and Florida A&M are on the schedule.
#5 Old 08-30-2004, 12:11 AM

Enh. "F 'SC, the Rosebowl..."

Now you can start in on my Bruins.
#6 Old 08-31-2004, 12:53 PM

I thought the game was great, especially with the behind the scenes footage ESPN had on the Deuce. I think the game turned on that call as well, but VT should have stepped it up on D the next series. You can't allow a bad call to change what was a really close game up until that point.

I'm looking forward to hosting VT in Groves Stadium in October. The place will be loud and undoubtedly more full of gobbler fans than our own. Looking forward to sending them home unhappy!
#7 Old 09-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Banned

Oh, lookie, lookie! VT off to a 2-2 start (wins over Duke and a MAC school), including a loss at home. MikeyVT, take this as a lesson son. VT fans shouldn't try to talk college football until you take the time to learn a bit about it.
#8 Old 09-26-2004, 09:27 AM

To VT and Boston College:

Welcome to the ACC, *****es!
#9 Old 09-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfuDeac View Post

To VT and Boston College:

Welcome to the ACC, *****es!

Heh. What welcome did you send to Miami?

"Welcome, oh master our master!"

ACC football looks kind of week again this year. Shoot, if Wake keeps things together, they have a shot to be in the Top 4. Unlikely, but it could happen.
#10 Old 09-26-2004, 07:51 PM

We've got two really tough games coming up against the WussPack and Chokies. If we win those two we'll go bowling. State has it in for us this year, since we ruined their season last year before their much-hyped game against Ohio State.
#11 Old 11-29-2004, 08:31 AM

BUMP

BUMP

BUMP

*couch* Tame *cough*

Yeah we got owned this year in the ACC. We are such a middle of the road team and we deffinatly will onyl win 7 games this year. Wait...oh i forget we are 9-2 and garanted at least a share of the ACC championship. Isn't it bitter sweet.
#12 Old 11-29-2004, 08:50 AM
Banned

Yep, the ACC was down more than I expected, plus your team rallied well when the child molester you have at tailback rejoined the team.

Miami will beat you, so forget the BCS bowl game. And don't forget - this will be the best year you have in the ACC. Your QB situation for next year is scary - either an unproven youngster or yet another child molester (i.e. Marcus Vick.)

BTW, being a newbie to Tech football, did you ever do any research about how Beamer built your program? You do know part of the legislation in the Violence Against Women Act (passed in the late 90s) was due to VT covering up rapes committed by football players?

Hey, you did do better than expected this year. Enjoy it. Next year you'll be in the Humanitarian Bowl (unless of course the ACC does turn out to be on the downhill slide - nah.)
#13 Old 11-29-2004, 11:53 AM

You just dont know how to give out compliments...

Lets have a round of applause for Tame...poor guy cant admit he was wrong and that VT is actaully a top15 program.
#14 Old 11-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

You just dont know how to give out compliments...

Lets have a round of applause for Tame...poor guy cant admit he was wrong and that VT is actaully a top15 program.

Don't confuse Top 15 team (which they may or may not be at the end of the season) with Top 15 program. VT is not a Top 15 program over any reasonable stretch of time. A couple of Top 10 finishes, but again, there is a difference.
#15 Old 11-29-2004, 01:44 PM

Referance the last 10 years

95-96 #13 10-2

96-97 #10 10-2

97-98 unranked 7-5

98-99 unranked 9-3

99-00 #2 11-1

00-01 #6 11-1

01-02 #15 8-5

02-04 #21 10-4

03-04 #21 8-5

04-pres #10 9-2

Our record the last 10 years is 93-29

5 of those years we finished ranked in the top 15.

Odds are we will finish within the top15 this year as well.

In each of the last 10 years we have been ranked in the top15 sometime during the season,

The last 2 years we did not end the season very well.

This year he have less "star" talent but we play as a team.

We are recruiting better then ever and we get as much national TV coverage as the major universities with deep history.

I am sorry you dont think we are a quality program. How many years will he have to finish ranked in the top 3 in the ACC.

Why do you hate Virginia Tech?
#16 Old 11-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

Referance the last 10 years

95-96 #13 10-2

96-97 #10 10-2

97-98 unranked 7-5

98-99 unranked 9-3

99-00 #2 11-1

00-01 #6 11-1

01-02 #15 8-5

02-04 #21 10-4

03-04 #21 8-5

04-pres #10 9-2

Our record the last 10 years is 93-29

5 of those years we finished ranked in the top 15.

Odds are we will finish within the top15 this year as well.

In each of the last 10 years we have been ranked in the top15 sometime during the season,

The last 2 years we did not end the season very well.

This year he have less "star" talent but we play as a team.

We are recruiting better then ever and we get as much national TV coverage as the major universities with deep history.

Your average finish is well outside of the Top 15. You are not a Top 15 program, even in the last 10 years. Go back 20, and you are scratching to be a Top 40.

Quote:

I am sorry you dont think we are a quality program. How many years will he have to finish ranked in the top 3 in the ACC.

I didn't say that, but overall, I don't see VT as one of the elites of college football that their fans, and a few media talking heads, seem to think they are. How many Top 5 teams have you beaten in your school's history? How many Top 10s (Hint: slightly higher than the first answer)? I know the answers - do you?

As far as a Top 3 finish in the ACC - take a picture, 'cause this won't last long. (BTW, f you lose to Miami, you slide past the Gator down to the Peach Bowl.) You were fortunate that you didn't play FSU this year. You are in Miami's division in the future, which means you will kiss any possible championship games good bye.
#17 Old 11-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Banned

Oh, and you didn't finish #21 after losing your bowl game last year.

Also, one of the years you claim you were ranked #15 the AP had you at #18.
#18 Old 11-29-2004, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Oh, and you didn't finish #21 after losing your bowl game last year.

Also, one of the years you claim you were ranked #15 the AP had you at #18.

Ah sorry about that...yes we did finish unranked after the bowl last year. In regaurds to finishing 18th the site i am referencing states that we finished 15th.

Regaurdless Virginia Tech has a quality football program that have proven it can play with the best and is getting top tier recruits. Virginia Tech IS a top15 program.
#19 Old 11-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

Ah sorry about that...yes we did finish unranked after the bowl last year. In regaurds to finishing 18th the site i am referencing states that we finished 15th.

Link please. I found the AP and coaches and neither had you at 15.

Quote:

Regaurdless Virginia Tech has a quality football program that have proven it can play with the best and is getting top tier recruits. Virginia Tech IS a top15 program.

Nope. Outside the Top 20 2 out of the last 4 years would prove that wrong. Averaging outside the Top 15 in the past 10 would as well, not to mention being much lower if you go longer than 10 years.
#20 Old 11-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Banned

Top 200 All Time College Football Programs. VT at #66.

http://www.cfrc.com/Archives/Top_Programs_2003.htm
#21 Old 11-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Banned

#22 Old 11-29-2004, 04:46 PM

Did i ever say we where one of the best teams in college football history. Look at my posts. No I did not. Once again you read a post and take what you want from each post. Do you really think that I am a raving lunatic that thinks our team can compete with Nebraska, Florida State, and Noter Dame when you look at the last 100 years. Even you know i didnt mean that. So do not be ignorant and makes points that I am not in denial of.

Look at Nebraska...they have a losing season and are nto bowl eligable. I guess then they are an awfull program. Look at Noter Dame...they have had 2 awfull years. I guess they are an awfull program. Programs have down years.

If you look at recent history when coach Beamer (3rd highest win total in active coaches) took over the program it has gone nothing but up. VT has shown taht it can compete with teams the likes of Miami on a consistant basis.

If I am going to take the time to write a response at least read it. Maybe it is hard to see that I am actually having a discussion and not attacking the way you seem to enjoy.
#23 Old 11-29-2004, 04:51 PM

MikeyVT, congrats on a solid season, enjoy your BCS game against Syracuse/BC/Pittsburgh. How bad does it suck that you managed to lose to NCState?
#24 Old 11-29-2004, 05:28 PM

Haha...yeah it would have been niec to win that one. It was awfull because it looked like the kick was goign through and then....wide left. I almost cried in the stands

But what a great season. I havent seen VT play like a TEAM in a long time. Coach Beamer said(and this isnt direct), "This team plays the best when it seems the worst." That sums it up for us.
#25 Old 11-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:

Did i ever say we where one of the best teams in college football history. Look at my posts. No I did not. Once again you read a post and take what you want from each post. Do you really think that I am a raving lunatic that thinks our team can compete with Nebraska, Florida State, and Noter Dame when you look at the last 100 years. Even you know i didnt mean that. So do not be ignorant and makes points that I am not in denial of.

Look at Nebraska...they have a losing season and are nto bowl eligable. I guess then they are an awfull program. Look at Noter Dame...they have had 2 awfull years. I guess they are an awfull program. Programs have down years.

If you look at recent history when coach Beamer (3rd highest win total in active coaches) took over the program it has gone nothing but up. VT has shown taht it can compete with teams the likes of Miami on a consistant basis.

If I am going to take the time to write a response at least read it. Maybe it is hard to see that I am actually having a discussion and not attacking the way you seem to enjoy.

Then quit saying you are a Top 15 program You aren't. You have had Top 15 teams, but at this time, you aren't a Top 15 program.

(And actually, a couple of years after Beamer took over, you were trending down -1992 specifically - and Beamer was almost fired.)

Now, back to our discussion. Your comments about Notre Dame and Nebraska actually prove my point. Those are top level programs, which are now struggling. If they continue to struggle, they will fall out of the upper echelon, but a 1-2 year hiccup doesn't do that alone. Conversely, a few years at the top doesn't make you an elite, either. VT has made strides towards the top, but until they can stay there somewhat consistently, and win games against other Top 10 teams, they cannot lay claim to being one of the elites. Solid? Certainly. Good? Some years. Elite? Long ways to go yet, sunshine.
#26 Old 11-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfuDeac View Post

MikeyVT, congrats on a solid season, enjoy your BCS game against Syracuse/BC/Pittsburgh. How bad does it suck that you managed to lose to NCState?

They have to beat Miami first. As down as Miami is this year on offense, they are still an SOB to beat in the Orange Bowl.

VT fans better be prepared to enjoy the Peach Bowl.
#27 Old 11-29-2004, 06:26 PM

I NEVER said we where a top15 in history. Hence the reason i referanced the last 10 years. I said we are a top15 in recent history and it looks like we arnt going anywhere.
#28 Old 11-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:

I NEVER said we where a top15 in history. Hence the reason i referanced the last 10 years. I said we are a top15 in recent history and it looks like we arnt going anywhere.

But you aren't. You had a couple of nice seasons, but some where you were outside of the Top 25. That is not a Top 15 program, no matter how much Hokies want it to be so.
#29 Old 11-29-2004, 06:39 PM
Banned

Not going anywhere?

When you have FSU and Miami on the schedule next year, and you are breaking in a new QB, let me know how that works out for ya.

Is that child molester Imoh coming back next year?
#30 Old 11-29-2004, 09:05 PM

Quote:
When you have FSU and Miami on the schedule next year, and you are breaking in a new QB, let me know how that works out for ya.

Oh yeah how could i forget they will whip out ass. Oh wait yeah we have played Miami EVERY year in teh Big East. FSU...yeah because they are better then the USC team we played this year.

Quote:
Is that child molester Imoh coming back next year?

Oh yeah a child molestor....I forgot that he was NEVER convicted of sex with a minor.

Nice facts there buddy!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page