Dumpster Diving. Who does it & best spots to do it. - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Beginner

I was thinking of indulging in this past-time (not for food, for other useful items). Where are some of the best places to do this? What type of items do you find? Name some of the paces that keep their dumpsters unlocked. I was thinking of places like Eckerd, CVS, Pier1 Imports etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Joe
Beginner

I don't do it, but a friend of mine who does tells me that private universities the last three weeks of the spring semester are wonderful. He says many of the students are very well off and would rather throw things away than bother to ship or move them back home for the summer.
#3 Old 06-23-2004, 04:30 AM
Beginner

Thanks Joe. I was thinking more along the lines of new merchandise. I'm curious to know what exactly is thrown out by these companies.
#4 Old 06-23-2004, 05:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

Thanks Joe. I was thinking more along the lines of new merchandise. I'm curious to know what exactly is thrown out by these companies.

Usually when large companies dispose of items the employees are told to destroy the merchandise before it hits the dumpster.
#5 Old 06-23-2004, 06:04 AM
kat
Beginner

Also check the related thread in the frugal living section.
#6 Old 06-23-2004, 06:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I don't do it, but a friend of mine who does tells me that private universities the last three weeks of the spring semester are wonderful. He says many of the students are very well off and would rather throw things away than bother to ship or move them back home for the summer.

I have made a MINT on this......hundreds of bucks in single garage sales the following week after they're gone. Mini fridges..T.V.'s video games.. Boxes of canned foods that I give to the food bank. Futans, pappasans..It's awesome..T.
#7 Old 06-23-2004, 06:37 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I keep wanting to do that, but I always feel guilty (stealing and all) and back out...
#8 Old 06-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Beginner

Hehe...I have found some awesome s**t in dumpsters.
#9 Old 06-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I keep wanting to do that, but I always feel guilty (stealing and all) and back out...

Why would taking something out of a dumpster be stealing?
#10 Old 06-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Beginner

^^^ Yeah, its just going to end up at the city dump. Might as well make the items useful.
#11 Old 06-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Beginner

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Grab that item out of the garbage and do whatever you want with it!

We've furnished our apartment with *fantastic* garbage finds. You won't believe the great stuff people throw away.
#12 Old 06-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

Why would taking something out of a dumpster be stealing?

That's just how it is.
#13 Old 06-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Banned

I'd further say that it is trespassing on or in someone else's property. If someone was inside of my car, looking for garbage, I would certainly call the police and have them arrested. Same thing for dumpsters.

Also, the company doesn't want people in their dumpsters, because it could be a liability to them if someone were to get hurt while stealing their garbage.

Go to Good Will and pay a few bucks for whatever you need.
#14 Old 06-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Joe
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

That's just how it is.

I don't think so. I think items left out for trash are considered abandoned property.

Also, I think the Supreme Court of the US has ruled that there is no legitimate expectation of privacy in those items. So, if the National Enquirer goes through your trash and publishes a story based on what they find--"Britney Spears Distraught After Break-Up with KPickell!"--you cannot sue them for violating your privacy if you threw Britney's love letters in your trash.
#15 Old 06-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Joe
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

I'd further say that it is trespassing on or in someone else's property. If someone was inside of my car, looking for garbage, I would certainly call the police and have them arrested. Same thing for dumpsters.

I don't think this is necessarily correct. In many cases, trash and dumpsters are at the edge of the property and within the public right of way. That's why the town/city is not "trespassing" when they come to pick up your trash.
#16 Old 06-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Banned

Who purchased the dumpster, Joe? The company OWNS it. I don't touch other people's things, regardless if they are inside or outside, without permission, or unless I plan on BUYING it.
#17 Old 06-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Beginner

Dumpster diving near big stores are touch and go in my area. Alot of stores have reverted to compactors instead of traditional dumpsters.

That and most things are destroyed/not edible by the time I get to it.

I'd be on the lookout for community clean-ups (ie: large dumpsters that are in neighbourhoods for a week or so), construction sites, libraries, schools (especially universities near the end of the semester), plenty of places that are in or around a city.

And most dumpsters behind stores are not owned by the stores, but by companies who collect trash. They are the property of whoever owns the actual dumpster. Look for a sticker on the dumpster. It will probably tell you.

Keep in mind the law though.
#18 Old 06-24-2004, 04:26 AM
Banned

Well, if the dumpster is not owned by the store, it is leased by the store, and they are responsible for the property. I would never advocate trespassing and stealing.
#19 Old 06-24-2004, 06:29 AM
Beginner

and furthermore, Britney Spears has not broken up with me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page