This “Fruit Salad Tree” Bears Eight Different Types Of Fruit - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

http://techniglee.com/2011/05/this-fruit-salad-tree-can-bear-eight-different-types-of-fruit/

Quote:
Spring is in the air and the flowers are a bloomin’. If your the gardening type, you know it’s time to bust out the shovel and get to work. If you have a sweet tooth and enjoy growing fruit, you’re gonna love this… An Australian company has fabricated a tree that can bear up to eight different fruits, yep and they call it The Fruit Salad Tree!

How the heck do you grow eight different fruits on a single tree? With an asexual plant propagation technique known as grafting. Typically grafting is used for the commercial production of trees and shrubs, however The Fruit Salad Tree Company utilized this technique to create the ultimate buffet of fruit super tree!

The Fruit Salad Tree was created as a cost effective means to grow multiple species of fruit. Variations of the tree have been designed for all climate types. Here the are four different types of Fruit Salad Trees:

Stonefruit which grows peaches, plums, nectarines, apricots and peachcots
Citrus which grows a winter and summer orange, mandarins, lemons, limes, grapefruits, tangelos and pomelos
Multi-apples only
Multi-nashi fruit only

Cool, I want one! It's like Futurama!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Beginner

There has only been one seedless orange tree (navel oranges) in the world. All the seedless oranges originated from grafts from that single mutant tree.

(now they're from grafts - created from grafts - created from grafts - ad naueseum)

I am my own bad companion

#3 Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

When I was a kid, we had a grafted apple tree with 4 kinds of apples. They were all pretty sour though.grin.gif
#4 Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Beginner

I've heard of these, but under the name "fruit cocktail tree". The guy who designed our backyard suggested we get one but none were available at the time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page