Brown Slime anyone? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Have you heard of brown slime?
Quote:
....As you can see in the first picture, you would WISH to have vegan pink slime but this brown muck isnt something even disgusting meat eaters would wolf down. Theyre not sure the stuff is even natural so they have to run a lateral-flow immunoassay test on it. When was the last time you had to do that in your vegan kitchen?! Who knows what that even means too? Sounds and looks like something you would only concoct in an evil mad scientists laboratory, amirite?!

But wait a minute, it even gets worse. This is the part where they start adding the chemicals. Processed curds from coagulated glycine max liquid is re-liquified in an industrial sized blender and to bulk that up with texture they add vital wheat gluten. Yes, you read that right, the same stuff that can cause a laundry list of health problems including cancer! They call this concoction a slurry. Yum, doncha just want a big bowl of that? Im in no hurry to eat no slurry, how bout you?!

Then comes the secret natural flavors. The one hint of what that might contain is the use of yeasts which are eukaryotic micro-organisms and not even classified as a plant (NOT VEGAN)! Theyre even used to make ethanol which acts as a solvent like paint thinner which is deadly if ingested!

To top it off, a corrosive acid is infused to denature any proteins that somehow yet have survived this brutal chemical processing bath so far.

Finally its extruded out all tawny, slimy and gooey grody, crammed into plastic tubes ready to be steamed and butchered. Then its off to the markets where Turtle Island cashes in, reaping profits picked from the pockets of unsuspecting naive vegans....

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Please note that the author is being sarcastic here

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM

I don't understand the sarcasm here.
#3 Old 04-06-2012, 03:53 PM

Id still rather eat that than the pink slime.
#4 Old 04-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Now I want Tofurky

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

The idea is to make the people who object to meat-based pink slime look like hypocrites for not being disgusted by plant-based brown slime.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 PM

So this is something anti-vegan?
#7 Old 04-06-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I forgot to include the link to the original post, it makes more sense in context
Brown Slime « Pythagorean Crank

Quote:

Eh I would say yes and no. The author is a plant-based eater and is highly concerned about animal issues though is quite anti-vegan dogma and puritanism. He has described himself as a non-vegan-vegan...you are gonna have to go to him for more explanation though. Im personally fine calling myself just vegan.

#8 Old 04-06-2012, 05:47 PM

double post, sorry

#9 Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:

To me it reads more like they're making fun of people who make a moral choice to avoid something at whatever point in their lives, then suddenly find all kinds of unrelated ways it's disgusting (in the physical sense, like nausea) while ignoring how this could be applied to what they still eat as well.

Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
#10 Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 PM

It's a legitimate argument against using "the health argument" as a primary means of vegan advocacy. I think it's quite clever and its points are sound.

Of course it's not a perfect parallel.

Tam! RUGH!
#11 Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 PM

Ooh, Tofurky is a processed food. What a shock. Couldn't tell that by looking at the label for like half a second.

Anyways, going to eat some Tofurky tomorrow. Yum!

Also... they pulled the "yeast isn't vegan" card. Sarcasm or not, I'm sick of that.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#12 Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

Ooh, Tofurky is a processed food. What a shock. Couldn't tell that by looking at the label for like half a second.

Anyways, going to eat some Tofurky tomorrow. Yum!

Also... they pulled the "yeast isn't vegan" card. Sarcasm or not, I'm sick of that.

It's supposed to be a Poe. It's coming from someone who doesn't actually believe it, but hears it a lot from omnis.

Tam! RUGH!
#13 Old 04-08-2012, 07:11 AM

I would have left the yeast thing at the terrible chemical it produces, for a bit more subtlety. But then again I'm not vegan, maybe that's referring to something that comes up a lot.

#14 Old 04-08-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvington View Post

I would have left the yeast thing at the terrible chemical it produces, for a bit more subtlety. But then again I'm not vegan, maybe that's referring to something that comes up a lot.

I've had people try to "get" me on my "inconsistency" of eating yeast before, so it does come up for some people at least.

People come up with any excuse for their behavior. Some people ask me if I'm pro choice or pro life when we're talking about veganism. Anything to take the conversation away from animal suffering.

Tam! RUGH!
#15 Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 AM

It's probably something a lot of people never consider before veganism comes up. I think watching nature shows early in life and having a scientist for a mother are the only reasons I know what yeast is, as it's really not relevant in day to day life what category it falls into. It would hardly surprise me if most people believed fungi were a kind of plant, and had never even considered that some things we eat belong to neither the animal or plant kingdoms.

It's also probably a product of the term "animals" and "animal products" being used in short descriptions of veganism, which could leave people thinking vegans value those things for the fairly arbitrary reason that they fall into a certain category.

#16 Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I've had people try to "get" me on my "inconsistency" of eating yeast before, so it does come up for some people at least.

People come up with any excuse for their behavior. Some people ask me if I'm pro choice or pro life when we're talking about veganism. Anything to take the conversation away from animal suffering.

Yup. More online than in real life, though. There actually are some vegans who refuse to eat yeast because apparently they're sentient. Ha. Uh-huh. Little brown pellets that gorge themselves to death in minutes and fart like mad certainly must be sentient.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#17 Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:

i think the yeast comment may have been in reference to the reporting of the original wired article on Tofurkey on VeganSoapBox in which the author made xanthan gum out to be something gross and worthy of avoidance (actually in reference to Fig Newmans, which were also featured in Wired). People even went so far as to perpetuate the bacteria-are-animals misunderstanding.

Quote:

yep i had that happen numerous times. Funny how it backfires, instead of showing my hypocrisy for eating yeast it only shows their ignorance of the most basic biology and fallacious reasoning by attempting to win points with a "you too" argument.
Its even more ironic that many people think that such got-ya questions are actually clever. No, they are not, just supremely ignorant

#18 Old 04-08-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
There actually are some vegans who refuse to eat yeast because apparently they're sentient.

I have heard this as well, though Ive never met one such vegan in real life or online, so I kinda doubt there are very many but if someone can point me to a fungus-fee vegan organization I would be much appreciated. Regardless, their reasoning is wrong, yeast are not sentient.
I dont think the people asking "do you eat yeast" got the idea from meeting other vegans that dont eat yeast, such vegans if they do actually exist are an extreme rarity and could not account for such a widespread misunderstanding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page