People who don't like holidays/vacations - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 AM
Beginner

Was talking with somebody at work this week, who asked me where I went on holiday this year. I said nowhere, explained that I havent been on a " holiday" in about 15 years - not because I can't afford it or can't get time off - but because I'm not interested in going on a trip somewhere, to stay in a hotel/campsite etc for a week or 2 away from home.
I like my home, I like going away to visit family or friends - but I have never had the slightest interest in going away "on holiday" anywhere.
He looked at me like I was insane

Am I alone in this total lack of interest in going "on holiday"?

EDIT perhaps I should say "on vacation" in case American VBers don't know what I mean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyabean View Post

He looked at me like I was insane

yep. youre certified
#3 Old 10-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Beginner

At first I thought you referring to people who dislike Christmas and the like I guess I would count myself among them, I'm not a big fan of all the stress and expense of buying gifts.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#4 Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Beginner

I had a job for many years where my vacations fell at ridiculous times of the year when no one else I knew could or would take off to go with me. I did a few solo trips but it was usually a hassle and I realized I enjoyed staying home a lot more. I also have animals and I don't think they'd do well in a boarding situation so, rather than put them and myself through the stress, I'd prefer to just stay put and do day trips. It's a lot more economical too.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#5 Old 10-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Beginner

I would probably look at you like you're mad too.

I love going away; getting away from it all and seeing new places/meeting new people. BUT each to their own and I guess there are plus sides for you, such as saving yourself a lot of money haha.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#6 Old 10-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned

I'm not all that interested in it either.
#7 Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Beginner

Here in the States we call them "staycations" = stay-at-home vacation.

I love the idea, but I also need to get out of town sometimes, see some different scenery. I don't have much time/money, so I often just spend a few days at the coast or the desert, which is only a couple hours drive and affordable.

Travel does wear me out though, so I always add a day or two at the end just to stay home and relax before heading back to work.
#8 Old 10-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Beginner

Vacations: meh,
Holidays: meh,

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#9 Old 10-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Beginner

I like a change of scenery from time to time, but I have little interest in traveling to far away places for extended periods of time.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#10 Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

I LOVE going camping . Going on holiday and staying in a hotel etc, I'm not a big fan of. I like going on holiday to get away from people not to be herded around like sheep with a load of strangers
#11 Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
mlp
Banned

Too many animals, of too many species, with too many differing needs. I don't know anyone I could trust to take care of all of them, so homme I stay.
#12 Old 10-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Beginner

I love going new places and seeing new things. it makes me happy. unfortunately, I dont get to do it too often.
but yeah, i'd look at you a bit funny if you said you hated holidays.

my sister used to think I was mad because I dont NEED a holiday abroad every year. yeah it'd be nice, but i cant afford it *shrug*. now she cant afford it either, and after a lot of whining she went somewhere in the UK and was happy.
#13 Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Beginner

i go camping sometimes at festivals [when there isnt a hotel within 50k] but i actually hate camping cuz i dont like roughing it & getting mud or sand everywhere. and you have to pack all that **** in the car which is so tedious.
but i love hotels. and not those quaint old victorian country style hotels with all that vile flowery decor. ick, depressing. preferably the uber modern vegas style, somewhere with 24hr room service thanks !!
#14 Old 10-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Beginner

I tend to do short vacations - one or two days off from work, and just make a long weekend of it. Either I'll drive 2-4 hours to a specific weekend event, or catch a flight to visit family for the weekend, like I did this past weekend.

Only once since starting my career 12 years ago have I taken a whole week off from work, not counting the two weeks I was unemployed between jobs, when I was too busy job hunting to travel. Ironically, when I did take that week off, I just went up to Orlando, which is only a 3 hour drive away and one of my regular weekend trip destinations. But my sister and nephews met me there from up in Chicago, and we spent the week at Disney, so it was still something different.

I would actually like to travel once in a while, just to see more of the world, but I don't feel like I have to do a big trip every year. And I do the "staycation" thing sometimes too, though usually just spontaneously for a day when I don't feel like going to work. I refer to that as calling in sick and tired.

--Fromper
#15 Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapt View Post

i go camping sometimes at festivals [when there isnt a hotel within 50k] but i actually hate camping cuz i dont like roughing it & getting mud or sand everywhere. and you have to pack all that **** in the car which is so tedious.
but i love hotels. and not those quaint old victorian country style hotels with all that vile flowery decor. ick, depressing. preferably the uber modern vegas style, somewhere with 24hr room service thanks !!

Car? CAR?! On a camping trip?! Are you mad?!

#16 Old 10-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Ira
Banned

I love vacation. Probably the main reason I work, lol
#17 Old 10-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Beginner

I love going away! Life is (solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and) short.

I've seen, felt, smelled, and experienced some of the most amazing things while traveling. Seeing the Mona Lisa at the Louvre, smelling the inside of Belgian chocolate shops, watching Pueblo fires on Christmas Eve at a reservation in New Mexico, and on and on (including, okay, fine, a small disaster in a London bed and breakfast). And all that was before I turned 15! Traveling on vacation rocks.

Leaving home isn't always wonderful, of course... But there are some things, some experiences, that can't be had through TV screens or daily routine or hanging with familiar people in familiar places.

And I've learned that the amount of stress people experience while traveling usually has a LOT more to do with their disposition and less to do with the situation. I had a flight to Paris be delayed by 12 hours. Other people were having a cow. It didn't bother me. I napped, explored the airport, read a good book, talked to strangers and learned about people I would never have otherwise learned about. Attitude is everything.
#18 Old 10-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Beginner

I live for day trips. We're so understaffed that coming back from more than one day off is overwhelming. Being able to go someplace nearby and have fun is all I need.
#19 Old 10-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Beginner

My parents hate going away so I never went anywhere growing up. I love the idea of vacationing, but it's so freaking expensive that I haven't gone to too many places. I did go to San Fransisco last year (as you see by my avatar!) and I thought it was incredible. I still really want to go to NYC, Miami, and Chicago, along with a ton of other places. Maybe someday I'll have the money.
#20 Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

And I've learned that the amount of stress people experience while traveling usually has a LOT more to do with their disposition and less to do with the situation. I had a flight to Paris be delayed by 12 hours. Other people were having a cow. It didn't bother me. I napped, explored the airport, read a good book, talked to strangers and learned about people I would never have otherwise learned about. Attitude is everything.

Ah yes, I remember being stranded at Heathrow for three days due to a dock strike in France (long story). I ended up camping out (literally) next to a beer vendor and all was cool. I remember assembling meals from snacks bought at the convenience markets and vending machines and living like Tom Hanks in The Terminal.

It was hella fun, but after 3 days of sleeping on the floor followed by a 12-hour flight, I was exhausted and ready to sleep in my own bed.
#21 Old 10-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Beginner

I've taken time off from work but haven't been on a vacation trip in over 12 years. I'd like to take one. I fear my plans won't work out though if I plan a large vacation.

I too thought the thread was about the traditional 'holiday" season. I really can't stand the "holidays"
#22 Old 10-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Too many animals, of too many species, with too many differing needs. I don't know anyone I could trust to take care of all of them, so homme I stay.

I understand that one. Although now I just have one elderly diabetic feline money pit who I love.
#23 Old 10-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Beginner

I love the idea of traveling and visiting far off places (and not so far off places) just to get away from the daily grind of one's life, clear the mind and to relax and refresh the body and soul.

That said, I can't always afford it, and being a single person, I've never been somebody to just pack a bag and go off somewhere. I like the idea of going somewhere with at least one other person.

My holiday/vacation pet peeve is whenever I took off time from work, much of the time I didn't go anywhere, but when I told people I was taking off, they always wanted to know where I was going. And if I told them "nowhere", they suddenly lost interest in me, as if they only cared about people who go places.

*this space not for sale*
#24 Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

I've taken time off from work but haven't been on a vacation trip in over 12 years. I'd like to take one. I fear my plans won't work out though if I plan a large vacation.

I too thought the thread was about the traditional 'holiday" season. I really can't stand the "holidays"

I edited the thread title to clarify that the OP was referring to what we Americans call vacations.

*this space not for sale*
#25 Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Beginner

I love going to new places and traveling!!!

With that said, I am sure that being raised as a nomad for a part of my life shuttled between countries and then spending 2.5 months during the summer in Europe every year has had something to do with it. At 12, 24 hours of traveling were nothing to me. I also always loved camping, hiking, white water rafting, etc. When I was little I always said that I will take ipctures for the National Geograhic when I grow up. Unfortunatly, that never came to be...

ÂNothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul. - Oscar Wilde
#26 Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Beginner

I LOve going on Holiday and even though I am American I have always said it that way....when I was younger I heard an interview with Princess Diana...(Who I Love and Admire) and loved the way it sounded and have used it ever since.....I really like visiting new places and learning new things and trying new foods and just enjoying the world...I just got back from a holiday yesterday and cannot wait to go again.

Peace, LOve and Good Karma.
#27 Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Beginner

I live for holiday/vacation/travel, it really does broaden the mind and I see it as an investment in my personal development. I'm just not getting through my wish list of destinations. If only I could break free from the gravitational pull of the USA.
#28 Old 10-15-2010, 04:21 AM
Beginner

I haven't gone on many holidays abroad recently, one reason is that we are too poor and also we have 7 cats and finding someone to look after them is difficult. Hopefully one day we will have the money to travel more and I would like to see parts of America, New Zealand and lots of other places.
#29 Old 10-15-2010, 04:36 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I would LOVE to see the world. There are some gorgeous places out there that I really would love to see, as well as geological/archaeological sites I'm just itching to see firsthand. Though, considering I'm a teenager with no cash flow and a bunch of fuzzy companions whose (pretty much) only reliable caregiver is me, there is no way I could just up and leave to visit someplace anytime soon. I understand people who don't like/want to go places, sometimes I feel like that, but then I stroll through a book about Earth and see all these beautiful pictures, I add it to my mental list of places I really want to go to.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#30 Old 10-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Beginner

I love my job, my husband, sleeping in my own bed...all the joys of home, but going on vacation is one of the best parts of life imo. It's not the "getting away" part, most of the time, that attracts me. Rather, the chance to see new things, have "adventures", meet strange and unusual people (and let them meet me).

My list of places I'd love to visit is long and varied. I'm going to have to live to be like 300 years old. I must admit, the egotistical, spontaneous part of me loves traveling on my own. Shortly after we moved here, I got Freecycled a train ticket to the northern part of England...to a town I'd never heard of....where they talk funny A few years ago, in the States I decided to take a wide detour on a planned journey, so that I could visit the Field of Dreams (don't laugh).

I move a lot though too.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page