"V" facebook symbol? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 AM

I keep seeing these weird symbols next to a lot of veg*ns names on facebook and I read that it's supposed to be a "V" but it certainly doesn't look like that to me. It's just a rectangle that looks like is says "24 CB" inside it. Is it just weird on my computer or is there something I'm missing?

i hear in my mind all of these voices
i hear in my mind all of these words
i hear in my mind all of this music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Administrator

I think it's just weird on your computer. I've seen a few people with a V with a circle around it.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#3 Old 08-10-2010, 01:23 AM

Here's what it looks like to me, although this may show up as a "V" for all of you.

#4 Old 08-10-2010, 01:33 AM

Looks like a V with a circle around it to me.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#5 Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedsky View Post

Here's what it looks like to me, although this may show up as a "V" for all of you.

Yep, I'm seeing it as a V with a circle around it.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#6 Old 08-10-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Yep, I'm seeing it as a V with a circle around it.

It is a 'v'with a circle around it - I have it after my name on facebook. If anyone wants to add it to their facebook profile, just cut and paste from this thread or from someone with the 'v'.

www.VeggieVie.co.uk  Vegetarian and vegan recipes from around the world.
#7 Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 AM

I'm not usually a fan of those things, but that is so cute!
#8 Old 08-10-2010, 11:58 AM

I just added the V to my name on FB a couple days ago too. It's funny, my computer at work just shows that little box but on my home computer it shows the V. I have no idea what is up with that! I thought it was pretty cute too.

Sarah
#9 Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

What browser are you using, and what Character Encoding are you using?

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#10 Old 08-10-2010, 04:22 PM

Hehee. I have that symbol on my facebook page, as well.
#11 Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM

I can't add that freaking symbol to my facebook name!!! :'( *hexes facebook*

Vegards,
Yen
Facebook: http://www.facebook.yenhowell.com
Twitter: @yenhowell
#12 Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 PM

I use firefox. I checked on the Character Encoding and it's set to the default western iso01889 or something like that. I tried to play around with that and tried maybe a dozen different ones but I still get the symbol. I'm going to do a screen shot to show you what I'm seeing.

#13 Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Attachment 9451

So that's what it looks like to me where everyone else is seeing the circle V.
LL

#14 Old 08-11-2010, 02:05 AM

To me, that looks neither like a V nor 24cb, but like Tom Cruise's gravestone. I'll need to check my settings.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#15 Old 08-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

To me, that looks neither like a V nor 24cb, but like Tom Cruise's gravestone. I'll need to check my settings.

You wish.

#16 Old 08-11-2010, 01:17 PM

To me, it looks like 24 CB, but I also use Google Chrome. How do you get the V on the page?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#17 Old 08-11-2010, 05:10 PM

I see the 24 CB on my desktop but on my iPhone FB app I see the circle w. the v in it.
#18 Old 08-11-2010, 07:02 PM

I use Firefox and I'm getting the weird little symbol and not the V. Not sure why.
#19 Old 08-19-2010, 04:41 AM

I use Chrome and have the same character encoding as you. I see the v symbol on facebook, but the box with CB24 on in your post on this thread.

How weird.

#20 Old 08-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Banned

I use Chrome. I see the V fine except in the tab, where it shows as an empty square.

When I first saw someone with the V I thought "how lame", but then I started seeing more and more of them and I realised how great it is to show omnis on our friends list how many veg*ns are out there. The more of us they see, the more they have to doubt that it's as hard and unhealthy as they think.
#21 Old 08-28-2010, 12:29 AM

About this symbol, does it stand for particularly vegetarian or vegan? I sort of want to add it, but I don't want to misrepresent myself.
#22 Old 08-28-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

About this symbol, does it stand for particularly vegetarian or vegan? I sort of want to add it, but I don't want to misrepresent myself.

Vegetarians and vegans are using it.

#23 Old 03-25-2013, 05:32 AM

Location: Thamesmead, Greater London, United Kingdom and Bookham, Surrey, United Kingdom

24CB is the Unicode number for that symbol, if it cannot be displayed by the program you're using then it'll either be omitted or the code number will be shown, as reported.

For example, under Windoze, holding Alt whilst typing +2488 on the numeric keypad should produce a copyright style symbol ©

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to get alphanumeric codes to work, so for the V in a circle I just copy and paste Ⓥ

Whilst I'm here, as a volunteer moderator on Volentia, can I recommend the site to you - it's basically Farcebook for the veg*n generation, with nearly 16,000 members worldwide ;-)

#24 Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 AM

Location: Thamesmead, Greater London, United Kingdom and Bookham, Surrey, United Kingdom

As a temporary work-around, if you get symbol codes from the Unicode.org site's charts and display them using http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/24cb/index.htm (replacing '24cb' as appropriate), you can then cut and paste from there.

#25 Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I've been copying and pasting.....it doesn't work. Does anyone know hot to do this without using a numeric keypad?

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#26 Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 PM

If copying and pasting doesn't work, then chances are it isn't ever going to in your particular application... where are you trying to use the symbol, and using which program; do you see nothing, a space, or something like 24 CB over two lines in a box?

I've got it working quite happily on both Volentia and Farcebook, using Chrome and Firefox browsers, can you see it okay?

#27 Old 03-25-2013, 04:27 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Molyneux View Post

If copying and pasting doesn't work, then chances are it isn't ever going to in your particular application... where are you trying to use the symbol, and using which program; do you see nothing, a space, or something like 24 CB over two lines in a box?

I've got it working quite happily on both Volentia and Farcebook, using Chrome and Firefox browsers, can you see it okay?

What programs? Random numbers and letters @_@ This is too complicated for me. No idea what I'm doing. Is there a video on youtube for this or something? 

The most I know if that I copy and pasted the same symbol into the edit name thing on facebook. It shows up but when I click save, it says it contains invalid characters.

I've been reading more into it and there is some rumor that they have restricted those characters.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#28 Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 AM

Yes, you're quite right, they've changed what they allow... only people who used symbols prior to the revision have them.

All you can do is look at using foreign language characters, but Farcebook won't be happy!

The main reason for the change appears financial, as Farcebook want your name to be the same as it appears on your credit card account, as they're introducing more chargeable features.

#29 Old 03-29-2013, 12:56 AM

money + big brother

makes it easier to find your name by using its usual symbols than if you are adding other symbols next to it or inside it

As far as i am concerned, i stay away from facebook. Like a window and a nice height away from it at least.

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/ https://www.eff.org/ https://www.torproject.org/

http://www.enigmail.net/  http://www.openbsd.org/  https://www.ixquick.com/

http://www.opennicproject.org/ https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#30 Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Yeah, you can't have symbols in your name anymore. In (I think) 2011, this notification showed up at the top of the page telling people to change their name to only their name, and that you can no longer use non-alpha characters. I, and many other people, never changed my name, so I still have the V next to it, but if I (or anyone else) were to change it, I'd have to get rid of the symbol.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page