People will beleive what they want to beleive-Brief rant - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Beginner

This past Friday, I overheard two women at work discussing a detox foot bath. It sounded familiar because about a year ago, someone was trying to sell detox foot pads, which turned out to be a complete hoax.

I told the woman about this and then emailed them a couple of links that discussed why and how those things were essentially snake oils.

One of them said very interesting in a disingenuous way, and the other didnt talk to me for the rest of the day.

I also see this behavior on a mineral collecting website that Im a member of. New people will often ask about the magical properties of crystals Most will get argumentative or leave after a post or two. Occasionally they will see the light, but not often.

*sigh*. I guess people will believe what they want to believe regardless of evidence to the contrary.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Beginner

That's very odd. You kind of expect that sort of behaviour about things that are important to people, but detox foot baths? o_0
#3 Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Beginner

People these days for the most part pout and cry like toddlers if they are denied any luxury or service. So the reaction doesn't surprise me. It's sad though...
#4 Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Beginner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial

Yeah.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Beginner

I believe everything in commercials. They do their research and would never lie to me to my money!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#6 Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Beginner

I'll admit it. When those foot pad thingies came out, I was curious. Not curious enough to shell out the $20 or however much, but my interest was peaked.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#7 Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I believe everything in commercials. They do their research and would never lie to me to my money!

Apparently, it had been recommended by a massage therapist...

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#8 Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Beginner

In my experience, people tend to take it very personally when they're proven wrong, or in the event someone demonstrates a greater depth of knowledge than they on a particular subject. People begin to identify with their silly little notions about whatever they've put a lot of time, money, or effort into this week. In order to avoid feeling guillble or foolish, they'll hang on to wacky notions about detoxifying foot baths/crystals/carbohydrates/ghosts/angels/George W. Bush/past life regression/diet soda for as long as they possibly can.
#9 Old 03-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Beginner

I think the biggest issue is the identification with the idea. When it's their 'thing'.
#10 Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

I'll admit it. When those foot pad thingies came out, I was curious. Not curious enough to shell out the $20 or however much, but my interest was peaked.

Me too. I'm just a cheapskate, so I never buy anything like this.
#11 Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

When I see things like that, I know that it's probably not gonna do anything, but in the back of my mind I always wonder if it really *is* a miracle product. I guess I'm a sucker for advertising.

#12 Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

*sigh*. I guess people will believe what they want to believe regardless of evidence to the contrary.

Yes and it's frustrating. At one job I had, a woman came in asking for something to block the electromagnetic radiation coming from her computer. She said she knew the color blue blocks magnetic radiation but wanted something to block all the radiation. I told her about a Faraday cage, but that didn't go over well (she just wanted a shirt or sun glasses type thing or something).

People are strange. Including myself and I often wonder what strange ideas I hold but am not aware of how illogical they are, yet I have justified.

I believe everything.
#13 Old 03-08-2010, 11:00 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

People are strange. Including myself and I often wonder what strange ideas I hold but am not aware of how illogical they are, yet I have justified.

Heh. I wonder that about myself too.
#14 Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:

When I see things like that, I know that it's probably not gonna do anything, but in the back of my mind I always wonder if it really *is* a miracle product. I guess I'm a sucker for advertising.

Me too. Show me something shiny and you got me.
#15 Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Anything that seems like it might be 'a miracle product,' I am always dubious.

I believe everything.
#16 Old 03-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yes and it's frustrating. At one job I had, a woman came in asking for something to block the electromagnetic radiation coming from her computer. She said she knew the color blue blocks magnetic radiation but wanted something to block all the radiation. I told her about a Faraday cage, but that didn't go over well (she just wanted a shirt or sun glasses type thing or something).

I suspect we are all like that...just that, most of use don't try to dupe the public into spending money on it at all.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#17 Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Anything that seems like it might be 'a miracle product,' I am always dubious.

Of course I'm dubious, and I know that those things never work and are probably bad for you to boot; but it doesn't stop me from going 'ooohhh, pretty/shiny/cool' for just a split second.

#18 Old 03-28-2010, 06:26 AM
Beginner

Well those two are at it again.

This time they were taking about psychic readers/contacting the dead.

face palm x 1,000...

-nomad888
#19 Old 03-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Beginner

Quote:

face palm x 1,000...

I should do that. All you have to do is ask pointed questions...and charge 100 bucks an hour.

#20 Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Beginner

Quote:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=16725280

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008
www.NewEnglandVegan.com
#21 Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Beginner

People will believe what they want to believe as long as believing that makes them feel better! Speaking for myself, a placebo works for me only until I'm aware it's been debunked. Once I've bought something, I want it to make me feel better for as long as possible. Of course your co-worker had to stop talking to you. Who knows what you would have debunked -- and thereby deactivated -- next?
#22 Old 04-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:

This past Friday, I overheard two women at work discussing a “detox foot bath”. It sounded familiar because about a year ago, someone was trying to sell detox foot pads, which turned out to be a complete hoax.

I told the woman about this and then emailed them a couple of links that discussed why and how those things were essentially snake oils.

One of them said ”very interesting” in a disingenuous way, and the other didn’t talk to me for the rest of the day.

I also see this behavior on a mineral collecting website that I’m a member of. New people will often ask about the magical properties of crystals… Most will get argumentative or leave after a post or two. Occasionally they will see the light, but not often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

I agree with ya....and wouldnt pay 20 bucks either....but I did buy them when they were discontunued at my local Walgreens. for 3.99 and I had 2 buck off coupons ...I think I paid like 1.99 or something like that....and I was curious and tried them out for fun.....I am also someone who believes in the power and magic of crystals....I mean it helps me and to meditate to my different crystals....I know there is no concrete evidence that they work but they work for me.....I also do yoga and get accupuncture and accupressure....people are always telling me how nuts I am to do certain things or they show me evidence it didnt help others but It works for me and thats all that matters....and its helped me draw strenght to work through some tough stuff.

peace
#23 Old 04-02-2010, 04:31 AM
Beginner

I got sucked into the infomercial about Debbie Meyer's green bags. I was so intrigued by them but didn't buy them right away. Eventually I found them at a discount store for $3. And they really do work! They keep produce fresher way longer than any other storage bag! Now I want to try the green plastic containers for leftovers (when I find them dirt cheap of course).
#24 Old 04-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I got sucked into the infomercial about Debbie Meyer's green bags. I was so intrigued by them but didn't buy them right away. Eventually I found them at a discount store for $3. And they really do work!.

Yes, they do work.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page