Question, "highest education question" on applications - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM

This should be a fairly simple question one would think.... but when a form asks for "highest education" not "highest degree" what do you put down?

Some forms are messed up because they assume your highest education is your highest degree (which means if you are in your third year of college, for example, you are considered only a high school graduate).

Others have the following options (or similar):

- haven't graduated high school

- GED

- high school graduate

- first year of college

- second year of college

- third year of college

- fourth year of college

- bachelors

- masters

- doctorate

yet, they also want your highest degree as apply to the college. Think of it this way, you're in your third year of college, so what degree do you have from that college? For many/most, it'd be none because you haven't graduated yet!

So how do you fill this out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

yet, they also want your highest degree as apply to the college. Think of it this way, you're in your third year of college, so what degree do you have from that college? For many/most, it'd be none because you haven't graduated yet!

If I didn't complete college, I wouldn't indicate that it was the highest education that I completed. I would say High school.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#3 Old 01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Banned

Depends how it's worded. Usually it will say highest education completed or highest qualification gained, which obviously doesn't include things you're in the process of obtaining.
#4 Old 01-13-2010, 01:31 PM

I think most forms are clear that they want to know the highest COMPLETED level of education. Right? So just say whatever you completed. There may be a section asking your occupation, and "Student" will let them know you're working toward more.

*shrug*

I've never really thought too hard about it since most questions seem obvious what they want to know.
#5 Old 01-13-2010, 02:10 PM

I've only seen a few that don't state highest level completed, but in that case they had awnsers like

high school

some post secondary

Completed post seconadary

Some post graduate

Completed post graduate.

So, I would go with whatever you've completed unless it's clear it can be something you've done a bit of.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#6 Old 01-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Forms being clear are the trouble. They say they want to know your highest level of education (not degree, education), and provide options for being in-between a degree (i.e. working but not yet completed), yet assume people either have a graduate degree or not, no option for in-between. Yet, these forms sometimes have an item for when the degree will be obtained (or was obtained).

Basically, they phrase it so answering it "Bachelor" would be a lie, but "Masters" could be misleading (if they do not pay attention to dates). So it's why I asked--thanks

I have been putting everything as a BA (or MS if they have a "in progress" option clearly stated so I can mark that)--just here recently some of these forms are really messed up, ask for one thing, provide options for another, but not completely allow for either to be explained.
#7 Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I've only seen a few that don't state highest level completed, but in that case they had awnsers like

high school

some post secondary

Completed post seconadary

Some post graduate

Completed post graduate.

So, I would go with whatever you've completed unless it's clear it can be something you've done a bit of.

I love those! At least I can be honest and list things as they exist in reality with no possibility of issues. I had one site outright assume that you were either working on or had an associates, bachelors or doctorate -- but a masters degree you either have it or not, no working on it is needed.
#8 Old 01-13-2010, 03:14 PM

The forms I've always come across don't section up university. So you can either say you have completed secondary school or an undergraduate degree. I have 2 years of uni under my belt, so a Certificate of Higher Education, plus another qualification that would also count as further education but isn't anything near a degree. It's not much anyway as it goes, but it's still a shame that I don't get to specify either of these, according to the form I may as well have just come out of secondary school.
#9 Old 05-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

This is why you should always include a one-page resume with your app.
#10 Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post
Think of it this way, you're in your third year of college, so what degree do you have from that college? For many/most, it'd be none because you haven't graduated yet!

Wow. Old thread.

Apps are sometimes designed to test your organizational skills and ability to function in unusual situations. In a case like this, you could answer, High School Diploma (+ 2-years college.) Provided there's room for that. However you answer, make sure your app is neat, tidy and legible. You may be judged on the "look" of the form you've filled out. So make it easy to read, while giving the most complete info you can.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#11 Old 05-20-2014, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Wow. Old thread.

Apps are sometimes designed to test your organizational skills and ability to function in unusual situations. In a case like this, you could answer, High School Diploma (+ 2-years college.) Provided there's room for that. However you answer, make sure your app is neat, tidy and legible. You may be judged on the "look" of the form you've filled out. So make it easy to read, while giving the most complete info you can.
Hopefully by now the OP has more degrees to add to applications.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 05-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Weird. This showed up in my "new posts" list which is why I posted in it without checking the dates.
#13 Old 11-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
This is why you should always include a one-page resume with your app.
Great advice. Forget school. Tell them what your real-world skills are and what real work you've already done. Be as specific as possible and drop all phrases like "goal-orientated" and "communication skills." You want to go into any interview talking specifically about their business (research it first) and how you can help them with your concrete skills.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page