Tyson chicken houses - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-23-2003, 06:52 PM

Hello everyone!

Last year, my husband and I moved from Oklahoma City to Russellville, Arkansas. This was quite a culture shock, I must tell you. One of the things about Arkansas that are different from Oklahoma are, everywhere you go (in this area of the state) there are chicken houses owned by Tyson that are run by individual "farmers". It just so happens that 4 Tyson chicken houses (Aday Farms) are located less than 2 miles from my home. When I ride my bike, I ride right past these structures. About once every few months, the trucks come in (always after 2AM) to pick up/drop off chickens. It hurts my soul to lay in bed and hear those trucks go by, knowing what has just happened to the hens inside... knowing what is going to happen to them soon enough.

I have considered getting some signs about Tyson and going outside at night when the trucks drive by, and holding my sign up next to the road for the driver to see. I have considered putting signs up in the front yard. But, I am a little cautious to do anything since this is right in my backyard. I'm not sure how far I can go and still be safe in my own home.

Does anyone have any ideas, tips, or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Banned

We vacationed in Arkansas and passed Tyson's processing plant. The stench was unbearable even 1/2 mile away. I suppose if you support the governor's then the president's campaign fund, you might get restrictions put on hold for a few years. Now that is just supposition on my part, but Tyson's did support Clinton's run for both offices.
#3 Old 06-23-2003, 09:31 PM

I wouldn't bother holding signs up for the drivers. Trust me. You'd be holding the wrong end of the stick. You want to make change? Stay away from the messengers and focus on the decision makers.

And good luck!
#4 Old 09-22-2003, 11:41 PM

I know what you mean I live here in the same area. No, you won't get anywhere holding up signs for the drivers. I can give you one thing you can do to help. I don't know if you have seen anything I have written or not, but I have given statements to the Polk County Sheriff's office and after a very lame investigation, he has now passed off his info to the prosecutor to decide whether or not to press charges for cruelty.

There is a letter-writing campaign going to pressure the prosecutor to press this. We still need all the letters we can get. Since I have not seen an alert here, I will post one aftert I get through with this message.

If you want more information, I have set up my own site at http://cyberactivist.blogspot.com to tell more of my experiences working in Tyson's chicken houses and especially at the slaughter plant in Grannis. You can also email me if you want to discuss the issue.

Glad to know someone else around here is upset with the way things are. Tyson has too much power around here and no one wants to say anything against them. I have even had death threats since I went public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosment View Post

Hello everyone!

Last year, my husband and I moved from Oklahoma City to Russellville, Arkansas. This was quite a culture shock, I must tell you. One of the things about Arkansas that are different from Oklahoma are, everywhere you go (in this area of the state) there are chicken houses owned by Tyson that are run by individual "farmers". It just so happens that 4 Tyson chicken houses (Aday Farms) are located less than 2 miles from my home. When I ride my bike, I ride right past these structures. About once every few months, the trucks come in (always after 2AM) to pick up/drop off chickens. It hurts my soul to lay in bed and hear those trucks go by, knowing what has just happened to the hens inside... knowing what is going to happen to them soon enough.

I have considered getting some signs about Tyson and going outside at night when the trucks drive by, and holding my sign up next to the road for the driver to see. I have considered putting signs up in the front yard. But, I am a little cautious to do anything since this is right in my backyard. I'm not sure how far I can go and still be safe in my own home.

Does anyone have any ideas, tips, or advice?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page