Walmart sells live crickets - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Banned

Today, I was in Walmart and saw a product called The Cricket Cup containing 50 live crickets. It is sealed and no one gives them food or water. All the cups on the shelf had expiration dates of 5-16-12, which is already 3 days overdue. These crickets are just going to starve to death without food or water.

I started a petition on Change.org. If you want to help send Walmart the message that this is inhumane, please sign it.

https://www.change.org/petitions/wal...ve-crickets-2#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Beginner

I hate that I have to support this business to feed my animals. It's bad enough that pet stores do it, so Walmart should know better (I guess?). Signed.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#3 Old 05-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Beginner

Pet stores (at least any I've seen) at least feed and water the crickets. I have never seen them in a sealed container like that, that's just beyond disgusting. Any time I've seen them, they are all in a large container, with food and water.
#4 Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Beginner

Walmart also keeps betta fish and fiddler crabs (which they sell as pets) in little plastic cups.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#5 Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Beginner

This is disgusting and it beats me to know how this is allowed.

Signed !

#6 Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Beginner

What the Hell?  I only get my pets food when I go to local grocery store not walmart. 

#7 Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned

I've been buying cat food there, coz a Cat (neighborhood foreclosed house abandoned victim) adopted me as an "owner" last november. And I hate going into their "pet" department  and spending my money. ('coz they got the cheapest cat food).

#8 Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Beginner

I purchased one of these today from Wallmart .6-4-12. I did not see an EXP date. But I got these home. And easily half had died, and fell to the bottom. There was what looked like 2 pieces of an apple. This was all dried out. I moved the living remaining crickets into my keeper. I have never seen crickets, so ravenous for food. They are literally pushing each other out of the way. I am giving them Fluker's high calcium diet, along with flukekr's quencher with calcium. The crickets that have lived, do look very strong and healthy. I will be feeding them to some Fire belly toads. I am going to vouch the big box stores. My local Petsmart. sells them. They DO provide proper food and hydration. I always see a huge pile of dead cricket, that they just "push" off to the side. And clean the container for next ship.  After they sell out. Talk about not very sanitary. I have read Dr. Foster and Smith is not so great. Lots of reviews there, saying most crickets have died in route to the location.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page