Please help me get signatures to help stop cat dissection at my school! URGENT - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-22-2012, 04:00 PM

This is really important because as you know, this is a yearly event that takes places at most high school anatomy or biology classes. My school, in particular, still practices this cruel practice while there are rights and laws put in place for students. The 1st Amendment covers a students right to refuse to take part in dissection if the situation is non-traditional and tied negatively towards their personal beliefs (C.L. Lindsay III). Not only this, but students who live in California, Florida, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Virginia, have the legal right to refuse to participate in dissection in class! (Last Chance for Animals).

This affects millions of cats worldwide, please help me cease this practice at my school and tell others, too!

This could change the lives of cats for years to come at my school. Thank you!

http://www.change.org/petitions/down...e-alternatives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-22-2012, 04:37 PM

Signed, and shared.
Thank you for speaking out
#3 Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 PM

And thank you for signing!
#4 Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Cats wtf? never heard of that, i'm assuming they don't kill cats just for dissection since cats and dogs are protected right?
#5 Old 04-22-2012, 05:33 PM

Unfortunately, these cats are NOT protected and are killed with dissection in mind. Please check out my petition for all the details. Thanks!
#6 Old 04-22-2012, 07:08 PM

I was pretty sure that's illegal, do you have proof?
#7 Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM

Proof of what exactly?

All my information was conducted with lots of research so I'd be glad to help you understand.
#8 Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM

That they are actually being killed solely for this reason, i believe that is illegal, but still possible to happen, if the school gets the animals from a suspicious source.
#9 Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Here's another resource to help you with your campaign: http://www.peta2.com/takecharge/t-fight.asp
(looks like you've already found it? hope so)

To answer AlixJ18, here is a link about the lack of laws to protect cats from becoming dissection models: http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/...s_answers.html
#10 Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 PM

signed. and no cats are not protected. alot of schools dissect cats. fortuantely mine did not. but others do and colleges as well.
#11 Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM

I'm not against the dissection of already dead animals that either died naturally, or were being euthanized either way.
#12 Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM

As you can see here SOME are protected but a very small minority. "In order to better assure that animals are obtained in a legal manner and cared for properly, some warm-blooded animals are protected under the United States Animal Welfare Act (AWA). The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is the federal agency that enforces the AWA. The AWA requires that animal dealers be licensed as Class 'A' or Class 'B' dealers and that facilities operated by these dealers be inspected by the USDA. Class 'A' dealers are animal breeders. Class 'B' dealers may also breed animals, but also purchase and re-sell live and/or dead animals. Class 'B' dealers procure animals in a number of different ways including from 'random sources,' such as the aforementioned sources which can include unclaimed 'stray' animals, 'free to a good home' ads, or former companion animals sold by some pounds or shelters.

Class 'B' dealers may sell these animals to companies such as biological supply companies (who are also considered Class 'B' dealers under the AWA definition). Most of the animals obtained for dissection are bought from biological supply companies. The largest ones carry over 100 different species of animals from horseshoe crabs to dogfish sharks, from snakes to mink, from embalmed dogs to skinned, pregnant cats."

In fact, the reason this is so is because we get these cats for cheap from Mexico where very cruel procedures take place and are then shipped here. Also there is more detail about what happens in Mexico in the following sites. (http://www.messybeast.com/cat-dissect.html) (http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/..._higher_ed.pdf)
#13 Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 PM

But the thing is, they were dead because they killed them, not for your reasons listed above. They were killed with dissection in mind.
#14 Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

I'm not against the dissection of already dead animals that either died naturally, or were being euthanized either way.

more than likely there bred to be dissected like frogs for schools. they dont just go around to the pound and collect frogs that are going to be euthanised. they breed them so they can be dissected in schools
#15 Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

more than likely there bred to be dissected like frogs for schools. they dont just go around to the pound and collect frogs that are going to be euthanised. they breed them so they can be dissected in schools

But it's legal with frogs, but not with cats, that's why i wonder if it's a really prevalent thing to actually breed cats to be killed like other animals, if i was one of the school staff dealing with this, i would definitely be getting the cats from reputable sources that don't kill the cats for dissection, i would think going to illegal sources would be too much of a risk since they'd be involved in animal cruelty by law.
#16 Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the sources, help, and signings. Appreciated!
#17 Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

~~~~~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#18 Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 PM

Thank you!
#19 Old 04-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

signed. and no cats are not protected. alot of schools dissect cats. fortuantely mine did not. but others do and colleges as well.

Yep, one of my mom's friends had to dissect a cat in college. The cat her group got turned out to be pregnant, too.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#20 Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

That is how I thought it was done. I am shocked that it is authorized to actually kill these animals for this purpose.

Signed.
#21 Old 04-23-2012, 04:55 AM
Keep the gobble alive!

I signed.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"War- the most malignant scourge and greatest sin of mankind- can no longer be contained, only abolished." -Douglas MacArthur
#22 Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 AM

Thank you all for the help so far, I could of never imagined to get as many signatures as I have in under a 24 hour start of the petition. Thanks again!
#23 Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 PM

The petition has reached over 300 signatures and I couldn't be more happy! Thanks so much for everyone who has signed and shared and please continue to do so!
The animals and I appreciate it wholeheartedly!
#24 Old 04-24-2012, 04:15 PM

800 signatures everyone!
#25 Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 PM

OMG, what shocked me the most is that this is MY town. I've signed and I will get others to sign, too. I am now sick to my stomache.
#26 Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 PM

Tried to sign but it said "You seem to have had an issue loading this page or you have javascript disabled, which may cause problems while using Change.org. To avoid any further inconvenience, please enable javascript in your browser and refresh this page."

What the hell does that mean?? and how do I fix it??

"Snake Savers"
Venomous & Non-Venomous Snakes Removed & Relocated. Unharmed.
#27 Old 04-24-2012, 08:13 PM

You live in Downers Grove?! Crazy, it's a small world!
#28 Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Hey John, not exactly sure how to fix this problem. Did you try reloading? I'm sure you did
If there's a pop up that appears at the top of your browser, there should be a way to re-enable javascript.
If not, maybe try re-downloading java here:http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Thanks!
#29 Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 PM

Thanks I try it. I only have trouble with change.org

I don't even know what "javascript" is or does lol

"Snake Savers"
#30 Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 PM

??? Now it's showing I signed it "You signed this petition on Apr 25, 2012" Crazy man! oh well signed! LOL

"Snake Savers"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page