Fish Oil Substitutes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Beginner

I have depression. My psychiatrist suggested I take fish oil as well as multiple other vitamins and such things. Basically, there are a lot of things that can help depression that are good for the body, so I might as well take them.

Obviously, taking fish oil is not something I'd like to do. He isn't going to stop seeing me if I don't take it or anything. He will respect my choice. However, he seemed to imply that any source alternative to fish oil itself is somehow inferior or different than fish oil. That I can't get fish oil from somewhere else and get the "exact" same benefits.

Thoughts? Anyone have any information on this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

fish oil has omega 3 fatty acids, the omegas are what help with depression and mood disorders. there are other vegan sources of omegas (flax oil, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, spinach etc) and also the source that the fish get it from, algae. the reason your doctor probably told you fish oil was best has to do with how our body converts and absorbs the other forms of omegas. general health and diet can sometimes determine how well you convert and use omegas.

there are some negative points about omegas from fish (other than it being non-veg) that have to do with heavy metal pollutants. it is not currently recommended to take as mush fish oil as possible, in fact it is becoming more common advise on limiting fish consumption do to the fact of pollutants are present in the environments the animals lived or were farmed (fish farming is another negative). the supplements are concentrated which increases the percentage of pollutants.
#3 Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Beginner

Look into something like Udo's oil, which has omegas from algae, which is where the fish get it from.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#4 Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Beginner

You need to ask your doctor what specifically he thinks you need from fish oil, then we can work out alternatives. Unfortunately nutrition doesn't play a major part in GP training so alot of doctors don't know much (if any) more than their patients.
#5 Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Beginner

If you can't get Udo's oil, try flaxoil (which is also a part of Udo's oil).

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#6 Old 07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Beginner

Look for a vegan source of DHA, which is not necessarily found naturally in vegetarian products, but is an ingredient in fish oil that is very helpful in mood stablization, as well as other benefits.

I think some of the flax oils are now making them with it. Also companies like Deva and NuTru manufacture one from algae. I buy them from veganessentials.com but am not loyal to any one brand.

#7 Old 07-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Beginner

I need DHA and EPA. Apparently, something called V-Pure claims to contain these things. It's just hard to know who to trust with such companies.
#8 Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Beginner

thanks for the heads up. ive been looking for that combo for a while without success

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page