My back is killing me - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Beginner

And it's been killing me. It's chronic mid-back pain. I recently went off a drug named fenoprofin. It was for my chronic migraines, but I suspect it was masking my back pain also. I had to go off it because it was irritating my stomach. I keep icing up my back, but the pain always comes back.

I'm frustrated because I want to exercise. I'm thinking maybe I should have my doctor prescribe physical therapy. I want to do both cardio vascular exercise and yoga. I was doing the cardio and very basic yoga when my back started acting up. I have some yoga DVDs that are specifically for both upper and lower back, but I can't do any of the stuff because of this pain.

Is physical therapy the way to go? Can it get me loosened up so that I can do the yoga back strengthening exercises? The doctor did X-rays and didn't find any major problems with my spine, only some very minor scoliosis. However, he said the X-rays don't show if there are any disk problems. I would need an MRI for that. If I have a disk problem, he said that cortisone injections could help.

How do I get my back healthy enough to not need medications -- or healthy enough to need as little as possible. My plan:

1. Physical therapy

2. Yoga therapy for the back

3. Cardio vascular training

4. Cortisone shots only as a last resort

Good plan? Bad plan? Any better ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Beginner

Acupuncture. I suffered lower back pain for years tried so many drugs. they only masked the pain. I also had my tennis elbow treated no problems since.
#3 Old 05-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Beginner

Have ya been to a chiropractor? I suffered from low back pain that was debilitating. I couldn't walk some days and the pain was blinding. After having a reputable doctor tell me after reading my MRI's that I needed surgery and would never go white water rafting or ride horses again, I went my own route. I went to my chiropractor, got serious about physical therapy, and had a few cortisone shots to reduce the pain enough so I could function and start to heal. I never had the surgery and I went white water rafting last year for my birthday and am beginning to ride again.
#4 Old 05-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Beginner

if your doctor suspects disc problems, I'd have it checked out first. I've had 5 different discs herniate (during my pregnancies) and you don't want to mess around with them. Doing yoga or cardio workouts with a seriously injured back is just asking for one of the discs to rupture. I would seriously consider having it looked into first.

Why not try a chiropractor? He/she should be able to give you a better idea if there's a serious injury or if you're back is just really out of place. I went to one after I gave birth each time and I can tell you the only person who was able to help my back was the chiro. Phys. therapy almost put me in the hospital. I tried various workouts to strengthen (that PT suggested) and I ended up with so much pain I could no longer bend at the waist to pic my baby up. I went to stay with my parents at the time (hubby was in Navy and out to sea) and the chiro there made my back pain disappear in 6 treatments.

If it's disc issues, I can tell you that you will most likely have trouble from it for the rest of your life. While I got better, I'm also not going to a chiro now....and I have some bad days when the pain comes back. It's not as bad as before, but it's there. It's now 11 years after the first one was born.....so you can see, it'll last quite a while. But I'm able to work out and stuff, just have to take it easy doing certain things that I know aggrivate the situation.

Good luck to you!!!
#5 Old 05-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Beginner

^^^^ I agree

You don't want to mess with your back by going too hard with exercise. If anything, think about pilates. It strengthens your core and back with minimal movement and stress. I did this for 3 months after giving birth before moving on to other things. Swimming is also great. When I do laps regularly is does help. I also have a massage once a month. It's an expensive treatment, but one I can't live without.

You have my sympathies though - my back is also bung after working for over a decade as a hairdresser and having a bub. It's frustrating and something that you generally will always have to deal with.
#6 Old 05-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Ankle Biter

Gentle yoga and Earth shoes have made a huge difference in my quality of life. Earth makes several types of non-leather shoes for men and women, and the design is just wonderful for back pain. They are expensive, but they last a long time. I'm on my third summer with my Cabo sandals.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#7 Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post

And it's been killing me. It's chronic mid-back pain. I recently went off a drug named fenoprofin. It was for my chronic migraines, but I suspect it was masking my back pain also. I had to go off it because it was irritating my stomach.

Ya, fenoprofen is just an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever, it for sure would help your back pain too, but its not good to take for long term like your tummy has learned.

a lot of questions for your:

are you still having migraines?

are you doing anything to compensate for not taking the meds anymore (other than ice)?

is your job physically demanding? do you sit all day? what kind of repetitive motions do you do regularly? drive far distances often? any history of car accidents/or physical trauma?

do you have pain or history of injury somewhere else (knee, shoulder, neck, foot etc)?
#8 Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Beginner

Bioresonance Therapy is a new way of dealing with pain either mild or chronic. Gentle exercise and rest are also some other good options with out medication.
#9 Old 06-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Banned

might a TENS machine help?
#10 Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Beginner

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/news/...src=RSS_PUBLIC

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page