VeggieBoards banner

vegan weight lifting

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  mountainvegan 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm a new vegan woman and am concerned about the effects my new diet will have on my weight training routine. I perform resistance training at least three times per week and aerobic about six. I am concerned that I am getting enough protien with my new diet. I'm finding it difficult to get over 40-50 grams of protein per day without significant soy protein supplementatin, which I'm not sure is good for you, or even neccessary.

I have heard that the American mentality of needing lots of protien is a myth, and that most people's bodies can maintain good muscle tone on far less protein than typically recommended providing you are exercising and consuming an adequate number of calories, which I feel I am.

Does anybody else on this board lift weights? If so, do you feel your diet is adequate to maintain lean body mass?

Thank you.

#2 ·
I lift weights pretty regularly. Other than using the /very/ occasional protein powder in smoothies (which I'm not sure I'm going to keep doing anyway) I don't use any protein supplements. I've noticed improvements in my muscle tone, and I really don't eat a high protein diet. So, I do think it's possible.

Check out this professional. He's vegan-

http://www.european-vegetarian.org/e...ss_muscle.html

#3 ·
I lift weights five times a week (in addition to cardio and yoga), and as a vegan I've never experienced any difficulties engaging in these activities because of my diet. The American obsession with protein is definitely misguided.

It's actually kind of funny that many bodybuilders and intense weightlifters aren't really the most healthy folk. They often overtrain, they eat a lot of pseudo-food and very little fiber, some take steroids (especially the females, women simply cannot builk up like you see on the covers of some of those "fitness" magazines unless they take hormones), and many have extreme body image issues. It can be a rough life if you're on a circuit.

There are a few sites and books available that address the specific questions of vegan and vegetarian athletes. I don't recall the author's names off of the top of my head but the titles are "The Vegetarian Female," "Becoming Vegan," and Carl Lewis has co-authored a cookbook that is full of recipes and info for vegan athletes, including training menus for such things as marathons and those who wish to go on a bodybuilding circuit. Lewis follows the McDougall plan and appears to be more of a strict vegetarian than a vegan.

There are also several vegan athletes and bodybuilders who have sites that link to www.vegsource.com, like Ruth Vedral and others.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizeen View Post

It's actually kind of funny that many bodybuilders and intense weightlifters aren't really the most healthy folk. They often overtrain, they eat a lot of pseudo-food and very little fiber, some take steroids (especially the females, women simply cannot builk up like you see on the covers of some of those "fitness" magazines unless they take hormones), and many have extreme body image issues. It can be a rough life if you're on a circuit.
I would agree. My reason for weight lifting isn't to become "biff", but rather to help maintain muscle, guard against osteoporosis, looked toned, general mental well being, and to help control body fat. It's just part of my overall enjoyable physical activity. Many "serious" body builders in my gym down cases of eggs, pop pills, spend every minute in the gym to the exclusion of healthy social lives, and do NO cardio in fear of losing mass. Their overall health is pretty poor and you are correct in the body issues as well. One piece of chocolate can send them running for the toilet with a gag reflex.

Thanks for the references. I have "Becoming Vegan" and read the chapter on vegan athletes but wanted some first-hand opinions on the matter.

#5 ·
Your reasons are my reasons, so it's easier for us. I don't think I could handle drinking every meal. Whenever my gym gives out free samples of protein shake everyone who takes one looks like they are about to puke two seconds after they chug it down.

Quote:
do NO cardio in fear of losing mass
Ha, that's too true. I think this extends to all men, though, especially young guys. None of them will even walk near a Stairmaster, apparently, like yoga, that's chick stuff.

#6 ·
just a thought about yoga..i think that if a few men got into it that there would be more doing it..i think its just a matter of that many men feel uncomfortable exercising in a room full of women ..even if it is stupid you know those barriers do exist..i for one would be interested in yoga if I felt comfortable with the class..

#7 ·
I understand the whole yoga issue with men, I just wish they could "let go" and give it a try anyway, though. I'm certain that my husband would benefit from it in hugely significant ways, but he's very resistant to looking like a fool (his perception, no one else's). Every time I return from a class I tell him the number and type of men who were there, and basic info about how it went. I think he's mellowing out about it a bit. Oddly, it seems as though his main concern was that he'd have to wear tight or revealing clothes (!?). There are a lot of misconceptions.

Most men are less limber and are "tighter" in certain key areas than women; they could benefit so much from yoga. You should give it a try schu, you'd dig it once you did it I bet.

I was really resistant to it myself for a long time. Yoga seemed way to "fairy duster" for me. I gave it a go at the urging of a friend, and I've never regretted it. I was completely wrong.

#8 ·
On the weight lifting, fitness, and protein, I've been veg for a year now and vegan for 6 months. During the 6 months I've been vegan, I trained for and ran a marathon of 25.5 miles of mountain trail with 5,000 feet elevation gain no problem it went great. Also, I've done a decent amount of weight training and am as strong as usual based on pounds lifted and reps. My protein intake has likely remained the same as it was when I was omni. I do not take any protein supplements. I get my protein from fake meat, beans, nuts, and various other common foods that have more protein than most people realize.

About yoga, I think yogas great (Im a guy). I must admit that I would not be too much into the class scene for two reasons. One, Id probably be too outnumbered by the ladies and would be too outdone Im not that flexible compared to your average yogi.
Two, Im a bit of a lone eagle in general Im not comfortable with group conformity pressure.
I like to do my own routine in my own way.

#10 ·
I also lift weights, do cardio and yoga (hey! i'm adding snow shoeing to my cardio routine! one of my yoga students does it, and she's going to teach me! weeee!).

anyway, i haven't had any problem gaining strength and endurance on this diet. My husband, on the other hand, is interested in certain muscle shape, eats about 3000 calories per day, therefore needing something like 200 cals of protien (to make it roughly 1/3 of his diet--he follows a whole foods, dairy-free "zone" type diet). He won't become vegetarian because he fears that he will not be able to maintain his muscle mass, even though he thinks/knows that he would be able to maintain and increase strength (those two are not necessarily connected, as most people "plateau" at a certain point)--that is only part of his goals. btw, he also does cardio and yoga.

I think it can be done--even if you're like my husband and interested in increasing muscle mass--but i don't know how specifically. Of course, i assume that you don't need 3000 calories per day. If you don't, then you're probably all good. Also, there's a chart in my SunFOods Diet Success System where the individual gets something like 49 grams of protien from veggies. I'll try to find it and post it.

As for yoga, i often have a number of men in my classes. And, even in class situations, yoga is an "individual" activity. At a certain point, you learn technique and you're able to "just be" iin class--so it's as if no one else is there but you and the teacher's voice.

#12 ·
I lift weights three days a week, in addition to some cardio 6 times a week. I do make an effort to have a pretty good protein/carb balance in my diet, but I don't really take a lot of suppliments. I'll often have a protein smoothie as my evening snack, to avoid that growly morning stomach, but other than that most of my protein comes in the form of seitan, tofu and whole grains.

#13 ·
You do have to make sure you get adequate protein, carbs, and calories to maintain and build muscle. This is possible on any diet, including a vegan one, even if it makes it a tad bit harder. When I started out strength training in addition to cardio about a year ago, I only ate 1200 calories a day, and I didn't build ANY muscle mass at all. I took my calories up to 1700, started supplementing soy protein (once a day, I don't think is bad, though I see no need to survive off the stuff) my benchpress went from 100-135 in two weeks! I was vegan then, so its just a matter of getting adequate nutrition from your diet.

Lovenlight,

Linz

#14 ·
I eat a lot of whole grains which provide complex carbs and protein. Everything about my work out improved -- endurance, strength, recovery, and muscle formation. I don't do a lot of weights -- hate it!

I occasionally take a soy protein isolate powder, but, really, I don't need it; I just like the stuff

I think just eating a wide variety of vegetables is good. Also, change up your routine every once in a while. Try replacing your triceps exercise with a new/different one, for example; or incorporate a new one, etc. This will produce better results. Same with cardio; change it up.

If you do feel you may need more protein, try more meat subs.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by schu View Post

just a thought about yoga..i think that if a few men got into it that there would be more doing it..i think its just a matter of that many men feel uncomfortable exercising in a room full of women ..even if it is stupid you know those barriers do exist..i for one would be interested in yoga if I felt comfortable with the class..
When I used to take aerobics or strength training classes at my gym, I always thought it was cool when the guys came in. And they always met the most women, lol.

#16 ·
i lift weights on a regular basis, do lots of cardio and hinking, and climb and paddle when i can - i've never had a problem with any of this because of being vegan., and i've been vegan 7 plus years. i do (when i have the time) do the protein powder in my drinks and stuff, but that is mainly because i was wanting to add more muscle. i'm toned more or less but was (still am) trying to see if the added protein will increase that. i'd still recomennd taking calcium though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.