Shoulder and Neck Muscles always tight... - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Beginner

My shoulder and neck muscles get tight on a weekly basis then it goes to me head..

Any ideas how to get rid of it..

It drives me crazy..

Im having magnesium tablets..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Beginner

if it's just in your neck / shoulder region and nowhere else, I reckon it's your pillow and bed causing it. Try sleeping with no pillow and on a flat surface for a few days.

and what type of magnesium is it?

Magnesium oxide is poorly absorbed. But if it's mainly aspartate and chelate, the bio-availability is high.
#3 Old 03-30-2009, 03:07 AM
Beginner

stress??
#4 Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Beginner

try doing some neck rolls every few hours, if you don't stretch and release those muscles they can become much tighter and can lead to more problems.

if you have the time and $ make an appt for a head/neck/shoulders massage.

try yoga, it is amazing for relieving tension and getting your spine into alignment.
#5 Old 03-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Beginner

It may be your posture. I have fibromyalgia but even before I had it I always had tight shoulders and neck. Could be how you sleep as well. Acupuncture, chiropractor, or massage really helps.
#6 Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Beginner

Do you drive a lot?
#7 Old 03-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Beginner

Hey guys..

Thanks for all the responses..

Yeah the magnesium is the aspartate and chelate one..

I might give it a go with no pillow..

Yes ive been stressed too...

I dont drive too much just average..

Ive been getting massages and they seem to have helped in relieveing the tension..

Thanks...
#8 Old 03-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Beginner

I'm going to second the yoga
#9 Old 04-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Beginner

I'll third the yoga, but even if you know you can pull off a beautiful headstand, DON'T when your neck already hurts. Trust me on this.
#10 Old 04-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Beginner

I'll be honest, I don't fourth the yoga... It actually makes me more sore. I tried sticking with it for awhile but it still just makes me really sore, so listen to your body on that one.
#11 Old 04-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Beginner

when your neck and shoulders are "out of whack", it can often be due to hip displacement. So, while neck stretching may help, the true prob may lie lower down your spine. If you are getting massages, try to see if they can concentrate on your lower back and see if perhaps one hip is higher, etc.

also, good ab strength is important for good posture and alignment, stability. Some hip and leg exercises may help.
#12 Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblthin View Post

I'll be honest, I don't fourth the yoga... It actually makes me more sore. I tried sticking with it for awhile but it still just makes me really sore, so listen to your body on that one.

I'll fourth the yoga

There are quite a few reasons it may have been not helping you. You could be pushing yourself too hard, or not doing it often enough, or doing it too often, etc.

It can take months or even years to see the changes in your body you are looking for. The important part is honoring your body where it's at, and not pushing hard at all.... Having a qualified instructor is incredibly important, so they can see if you are doing anything that might injure you or exacerbate an injury. They can also give you modifications if anything hurts.

The style of yoga you are doing can make a difference. For the OP, I would highly recommend a gentle yoga for backs class, instead of something harder and faster like a vinyasa flow.

Another benefit of yoga is learning how to breathe and use the breathe to heel the body, loosen sore muscles and relieve tension.

I honestly believe that Yoga, done properly is beneficial for every single person on the planet.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#13 Old 04-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Beginner

I get this problem too. I put it down to using a computer too much. I don't get pain in neck and shoulders just a dull ache sometimes and feel the need to have a constant massage - when my b/f rubs them for me they creak and can feel like grisstly lumps. had it for years now...i suppose i should go see about it.

the posted who suggests it could be a problem lower down the back could be right also as I sneezed about 2 yrs ago while sitting awkwardly in a chair and was in agony for weeks with my lower back - it still gives me trouble every morning when i get out of bed - i have to do a few stretches first.

i just learn to live with it.... but would be interested to know any other suggestions as to cause? what does magnesium do exactly??

also i sometimes think it could be caused by my always feeling cold and i tend to hunch my shoulders put my chin inside my jumper when i'm sitting down.
#14 Old 04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Beginner

daffodil... Magnesium is to relax the muscles..

Thanks for all the responses guys..
#15 Old 04-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGIHEAD View Post

daffodil... Magnesium is to relax the muscles..

Thanks for all the responses guys..

i've just googled foods that contain magnesium and they're not normally stuff i eat a lot of.... i'll try a supplement see if that helps.

thanks
#16 Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Beginner

I have severe neck issues always have...my mom always said it was because I sleep on too many pillows (i have six on my bed minimum) and its worse when I am Stressed...I I use yoga and pilates and meditate...and that helps some....and hot rock massages rock...that helps alot too...Hope You are feeling better.

hey hey have a hippie day
#17 Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGIHEAD View Post

I might give it a go with no pillow..

well i tried with only one flat pillow last night instead of my usual 2 and i feel a bit better this morning. thanks :-)
#18 Old 04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodil View Post

I

also i sometimes think it could be caused by my always feeling cold and i tend to hunch my shoulders put my chin inside my jumper when i'm sitting down.

OMG...i cannot tell you how much pain i get into when im constantly cold!! it causes whole body pain in me!

If you are looking for other treatments, i would also suggest a GOOD chiropracter...not one who just crackcrackcracks you, but someone more along the lines of an osteopath. they take into account muscle and spine alignment. You def could still be suffering from a simple old injury. I tell you, once you get some relief, you'll wonder how you ever lived otherwise.

also, you will be able to get full benefits of yoga, pilates or stretching when your back is put back into proper alignment....you shouldnt be in *pain* when doing these exercises. if you are, somethings wrong. I hope you find something that helps.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page