I ate rust. Am I going to die? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 10-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Beginner
 
Blue Plastic Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,388
My boy baked a cake a couple days ago and one of the layers got stuck in the pan so he just left it in there and we've been picking bits of it out over the last couple days. Today I was eating a piece and I noticed a metallic taste. I looked at the bottom of the cake and there were spots of what looked like rust all over the bottom. I looked closer at the pan and sure enough there were rusty looking splotches all over. I thought it was a stainless steel pan, but apparently it's something else and it reacted with the moisture of the cake.



I brushed my teeth and drank a bunch of water, but I still have that metallic taste in my mouth. Is rust poisonous? Am I going to die? Is this a good way to get extra iron in my diet?
Blue Plastic Straw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 10-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Beginner
 
JLRodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,819
You could get a tetnis (whatever that shot's called) shot. Pehaps call your doctor/hospital/poison center just in case.



Otherwise I have no idea.
JLRodgers is offline  
#3 Old 10-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Beginner
 
Eva-bo-beva's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 469
You can look up the center of poison control in your phonebook and ask them...unless your not in the US. It prolly depends on how much you ingested. I think tetnis shots are only for when you get rust in your bloodsteam, like getting cut with a rusty nail or what-have-you.
Eva-bo-beva is offline  
#4 Old 10-30-2003, 04:55 PM
Beginner
 
Black Heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 875
Stainless steel can corrode, but I don't think you need to worry. And I think you can only get tetanus from something contaminated with soil or manure, and I hope your pan wasn't! I've definitely eaten nasty stuff from the insides of saucepans before, like the non stick stuff which peels off, and I think you'll be fine. I'm not sure it's a recommended way to get iron though!
Black Heart is offline  
#5 Old 10-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Beginner
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Before iron pills, people low in iron would soak rusty nails in water and drink it as a tonic.



As I understand it, tetanus is from some sort of bacteria. For example, when I sliced my arm open when I fell through the window, they needed to know when my last tet shot was; as the bacteria could have been on the glass.



And, you would have gotten a tet shot in Grade 9 (at least, in Canada you do), so it you got that one, you're covered until 26 or so.
GhostUser is offline  
#6 Old 10-30-2003, 05:42 PM
Beginner
 
Oatmeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,778
Skip your iron supplement for a day or two...



Otherwise I don't think it's dangerous. Steel is a metallic alloy of iron and carbon.



If you cook with cast iron pans, the pans themselves are said to add iron to your diet.



I would be much more worried about ingesting the coating of nonstick pans.
Oatmeal is offline  
#7 Old 10-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Beginner
 
Thalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Before iron pills, people low in iron would soak rusty nails in water and drink it as a tonic.



As I understand it, tetanus is from some sort of bacteria. For example, when I sliced my arm open when I fell through the window, they needed to know when my last tet shot was; as the bacteria could have been on the glass.



And, you would have gotten a tet shot in Grade 9 (at least, in Canada you do), so it you got that one, you're covered until 26 or so.

correct, tetanus has nothing to do with rust. And I don't think it is bad for you.



http://www.nfid.org/factsheets/tetanusadult.html



I don't think it will hurt you. If you are worried, call poison control.

http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/CHE...DS/IronOre.htm
Thalia is offline  
#8 Old 10-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Beginner
 
Syntax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

correct, tetanus has nothing to do with rust. And I don't think it is bad for you.



I'm with Thalis on this one. The only reason that the tetnus thing comes about is that rusty material has a honey comb structure, which is perfect for growing backteria in. If it's left in damp soil, then the tetnus bacteria occasionally lives in it.



If the cake tin wasn't stored buried in the garden then there is nothing to worry about. Looks like you just got extra iron. 'Course, it's not the nicest tasting routes to boosting your iron intake.
Syntax is offline  
#9 Old 10-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Beginner
 
Blue Plastic Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,388
Quote:
'Course, it's not the nicest tasting routes to boosting your iron intake.



Bleh, no kidding. Looks like I'll be shopping for new cake tins, but at least I won't get sick. Thanks guys!
Blue Plastic Straw is offline  
#10 Old 10-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Beginner
 
Joyful-Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 474
What kristadb, said.... I saw her perscribe the nail tonic on Dr. Quinn once, and I don't even watch that show...I think we were at the doctors office or something...
Joyful-Eyes is offline  
#11 Old 11-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Beginner
 
Lothar M Kirsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess B View Post

Is rust poisonous? Am I going to die? Is this a good way to get extra iron in my diet?

No. Yes. No.

Rust is iron. Everyone has to die, but not because of eating rust. However, if you eat foods out of a rusty pan regularly you´ll develop an iron overload. Some Bantu in Africa do so because of the millet (sorghum) beer they traditionally brew in rusty iron pots.

Tetanus is transmitted through open wounds and JLRodgers might have heart about a tetanus shot after stepping into a rusty nail, which would be a good reason.

But another thought, look if it´s an iron pot and some colour on the pot.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
Lothar M Kirsch is offline  
#12 Old 11-04-2003, 07:41 AM
Beginner
 
Skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 15,663
Next time, you´ll probably want to scrape out the stuck cake, no matter how much it crumbles and store it in a tupperware container or something.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Skylark is offline  
#13 Old 11-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Beginner
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,212
Rust is basically iron oxide. The stuff that makes mars red (the planet)



Iron oxide is comprised of (would you believe it?) iron and oxygen. These aren't a problem at all for the body.



You'll be fine. And hey, you're a step further away from anemia.
Loki is offline  
#14 Old 11-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,871
Yes. You will die.



Some day.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Michael is offline  
#15 Old 11-06-2003, 08:36 AM
Beginner
 
Skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 15,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Yes. You will die.



Some day.




Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Skylark is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off