Natural Remedies for Aching Bones - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Beginner

I'm looking for a natural remedy for aching bones. Anyone know of anything? My BF's mom is going through "The Change" and has aching bones, I want to suggest a natural remedy to help her with her pain, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Beginner

I've heard that willow bark is good as a pain reliever but I've never tried it myself. Also red pepper releases endorphins inducing a sense of well-being.

Heat usually works for me when I'm feeling achy, sometimes alternating with cold. I'll even take a shower and alternate the water temp between hot and cold.

Edit: I should mention willow bark acts like aspirin, so anyone with an allergy/sensitivity to aspirin shouldn't take it.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#3 Old 06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Something that I use for the pain of arthritis inflammation that helps quite a bit is turmeric, available in the spice isle of the supermarket. If you google it, you will discover that it does have value in this regard. Her aching bones, might be the beginning of arthritic changes, she'd be about the right age if she's going through menopause.
#4 Old 06-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Beginner

if she is menopausal she really needs to start taking care of her bones. you lose the most calcium overnight so she should take a calcium supplement before bed. if she finds her achy bones keep her up at night that's because she's losing calcium. it works better combined with magnesium so make sure she's taking a good quality cal-mag supplement every night.

don't treat the symptom treat the cause

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#5 Old 06-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Beginner

turmeric and ginger are both good for inflammation.

Vit D...beyond the RDA recommendation has been found to be good for those w/ fibro and nerve pain. it has been found that some "fibro" pain is actually a D deficiency...softening of the bones mimics the same pain.

But w/o enough vit D, her body will be leaching calcium from her bones (which leads to the softening), like LF said.

FOr pple who are deficient in vit D, they are starting to recommend 2-3000 IU / day, instead of the standard 2-300 IU to maintain a normal level.

Capsaisum lotion/ gel can help w/ achiness in joints/ muscle. I dont think it'll do much for bones, per se.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page